The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have been chewed a couple times for not updating pix of Rafe so here they are. I just got a wild hair and decided to give the bridle a shot for the fun of it.

Lots of chewing in these pix. It's a little unnerving to consider that it is a 5 inch bit on that bridle and it's not that much too big for him :?. I only had to take the bridle up 2 holes from where I have it for Dobe. LOL.

After the photoshoot, I spent a few minutes just working with him on giving to pressure. He finally kinda got the idea and he will give to each side and I did manage to get a couple of tuck-nosed backward steps out of him. That satisfied me for today. :D

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Smrobs..this is just not funny. I tried a bridle with Lillie and a 5 inch is too big and I had to add holes in the headstall for it to fit and she's almost TWO!!!

I will admit that Rafe is adorable in a bridle!

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Please package Rafe right up and send him to me!! Thank you!

:D What a cutie! Doesn't seem terribly fussed, does he? You're gonna have a huge horse on your hands...

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Haha, PD, I will gladly send you some of his size to give to Lillie. I don't want him to be so big. LOL.

Allie, he doesn't seem to get fussed about anything I have done to him so far. I think he might have his momma's temperment (if the ears hanging out to the side are any indication ;p). He just did a lot of playing and chewing just like any other horse that's never had a bit before. Though he was remarkably easy to get the bridle on. He just stood there, never raised his head or anything. :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Lol, I decided to put a bridle on my mare today for the first time too. She's weird though. She actually did very little chewing, she spent most of her time with pursed lips refusing to open her mouth for fear of the weird thing sitting in it lol. She did the same thing the first time I buted her with paste bute. She didn't swallow or try to spit it out. Just stood with pursed lips. Unfortunately my cob size bridle is a bit big even on the last holes. I just wanted to see if it would fit, and as she still has her wolf teeth, I didn't do anything other than have her stand there with it on. He's a cute guy, and he's gonna be big. At least he seems to be quite good natured.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Absolutely freaking adorable! It's terrifying how much of a grown horse he looks like with the bridle on, haha! I'm sure you'll be thankful for his laid back nature when he's a 2 year old! :lol: I absolutely love his face, he's almost beyond cute at this point and just has this very regal presence about him. I cannot WAIT to see how he matures!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if the colt measurement is correct (measure from the middle of the knee to the coronet band), he should be just about 17 hands even. It is really scary that at 6 months, he is only 1 hand shorter than my horse that I use all the time. From a distance, it is hard to tell the size difference between him and the rest of my herd. I really do wish he would hurry up and be 3 already so that I could start some riding on him. The anxiousness is nearly killing me. It is almost as bad as it was before he was born. I don't know if it just luck or what that he hasn't really gone through an ugly gangly stage of development yet. For the most part, he has stayed pretty straight and level this whole time.

Kayty, Raf is gorgeous. I hope that Rafe is about that thickness when he grows up. I can deal with the height better than I can something that is 4 feet wide and bumbling slow.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, though his daddy was a QH, his momma was a Belgian. And a big one at that. You can see her in the background in a couple of the pix.

What is Raf?

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope so. He will be big enough that if he ever took a mind to blow up, he would tear my butt in two. LOL.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Oh ok!! No wonder he's getting big then, I was a little confused if he was straight QH!

Raf is 3/4 hannoverian, 1/4 tb.
The sire is a smidgen over 17hhh, but he's known to thrown larger foals. The dam was only 16.1hh, and her last foal to a 17hh stallion is now 4 and only 16, maybe 16.1hh at a push. Raf has always been big though, he was an enormous foal, took everything out of the mare poor girl lost so much condition and was underweight for months after. He's always had a huge head and very solid joints, so we always knew he was going to be 'rather large'.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts