The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has rained almost every day for 2 weeks now. As of yesterday, the 7th, this is already the wettest August on record for a hundred years, with 3 weeks to go and rain forecast for the next 7 days. Enough is enough - if you have a trip to Branson planned in the next couple of weeks you might want to rethink it...

Reactions: barrelbeginner

·
Registered
722 Posts
The weather patterns this year have been awful...some places all they are getting is rain....here we haven't had rain in a couple of months which is very strange for the west coast. Never thought I would say that I wished it would rain.

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
No rain for the whole month of July here but it rained very heavily almost daily in June. Bumper hay crops because of that. So far in August, a few heavy thunder showers in the evenings, rest of the time, hot & sunny but not crazy hot, high 70's. Can't complain about the weather this summer. *Crossing off Branson as a place to visit, thanks Faceman!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
LOL, if you don't want it, Face, you can send it just a little bit west. We've had more rain this year than the last 3 combined by a fair margin, but I won't complain about some more.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If I wasn't too lazy, I would search last summer's threads for the ones commenting on our cross-country drought. :lol: As i recall, the lack of rain caused hay shortages and the heat index made it unbearable for most people/horses to ride.

Me, eh. I don't mind the rain too much. I can wear a hat and slicker if necessary. My horse would stand in the rain anyway, so I know he doesn't melt when water is applied.

My bigger concern about the rain, however, is laminitis. My easy-keeper is digging the lush grass right now. Worrying about him gorging himself into a grass coma is a concern.

we seem to have the extremes. Either 100 + degrees and high humidity and nothing to graze on or flood lands and grass that you can't keep up with on the mower.

:lol:

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
If I wasn't too lazy, I would search last summer's threads for the ones commenting on our cross-country drought. :lol: As i recall, the lack of rain caused hay shortages and the heat index made it unbearable for most people/horses to ride.

Me, eh. I don't mind the rain too much. I can wear a hat and slicker if necessary. My horse would stand in the rain anyway, so I know he doesn't melt when water is applied.

My bigger concern about the rain, however, is laminitis. My easy-keeper is digging the lush grass right now. Worrying about him gorging himself into a grass coma is a concern.

we seem to have the extremes. Either 100 + degrees and high humidity and nothing to graze on or flood lands and grass that you can't keep up with on the mower.

:lol:
Since I come from the land of great grass growing weather here's what we do in the spring when grass has the most punch. Section off a small area where you can control what they eat. Then we turn the horses out for 2 hours of grazing. They can't eat enough in 2 hours to cause a problem so long as they haven't been previously foundered. As protein levels drop in grass we leave them out longer and longer. Usually by mid August we no longer have to worry about protein levels in the grass. Or sooner if it's like this year with the lack of rain we've had!

·
Registered
890 Posts
thanks Darrin. My horse is pasture kept at someone else's barn. This spring we did pull Sam off the pasture for 4 weeks; he was getting cresty and very overweight. I worked him those four weeks, pulled the weight off him and softened his neck.

I pulled him again two weeks ago for a single week when it started to rain. But, Faceman is right. We have had rain every day for two weeks and i can't keep him in the dry lot.

I have been doing research and keep finding mixed reports. some say that the proteins are only high in the Spring and others say the proteins are high after a rain.

I also found a report where grass protein can be dangerous (most high) at night and others say most high in the morning.

I read one report that laminitis can occur within a single day; like colic. Horse is Fine then BOOM. Foundered. Others say the horse has to go through non-medically-urgent stages and if you are watching the signs can catch it long before it is a medical issue.

Mind boggling.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
rain rain

hiya faceman it was the same here going out was a good soaking.
now we have been cooked with a heat wave and its cool enough to do things but i have a fractured shoulder so i cant ride at the moment.
i hope the weather improves for you.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
thanks Darrin. My horse is pasture kept at someone else's barn. This spring we did pull Sam off the pasture for 4 weeks; he was getting cresty and very overweight. I worked him those four weeks, pulled the weight off him and softened his neck.

I pulled him again two weeks ago for a single week when it started to rain. But, Faceman is right. We have had rain every day for two weeks and i can't keep him in the dry lot.

I have been doing research and keep finding mixed reports. some say that the proteins are only high in the Spring and others say the proteins are high after a rain.

I also found a report where grass protein can be dangerous (most high) at night and others say most high in the morning.

I read one report that laminitis can occur within a single day; like colic. Horse is Fine then BOOM. Foundered. Others say the horse has to go through non-medically-urgent stages and if you are watching the signs can catch it long before it is a medical issue.

Mind boggling.
It's not the protein. Its sugar that causes laminitis.
Katy Watts | Safergrass.org is the place to read up on grass and hay. Katy Watts has done important research on the subject.
Sorry...off topic;-)

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Wish Face could send some of his unwanted rain your way since we've actually been getting some.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
As a former grass farmer, protein is highest in the spring but yes good rains mid summer will add some punch to your grass.

About laminitis. I'll say this since we have a lot of horses that have been foundered due to careless owners. First is if a horse has never been foundered there will be signs if you are paying attention, rarely will it come one without them. Once they've been foundered, it takes almost nothing to bring it on again so it can happen without any signs. As in I've seen previously foundered horses walk with no sign of pain, eat and be limping around an hour later. The non professional opinion in these parts is horses have a good resistance that goes away once they've been foundered. Haven't ever asked a vet if that's true or not.

FYI, just saw on the news the flooding happening in your parts, hope everyone out there and their horses stay safe.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I know I was off-topic

But, thank you to Darrin and DesertHorseWoman.

My horse has never foundered or had laminitis, but he is probably in the "could happen" category. He did get a cresty neck this year and last year during the 100 day drought, he actually gained enough weight to be obese and have a growth spurt!

Can you say easy-keeper?

The pasture is also has very good grass varieties.

According to the Kathryn Watts website, I need to get off the Internet and go ride. :lol:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
It rains here.. POURS here every day for about 3 days ( for about 30 minutes).. then we get abother dry week.. then it rains.. now during the night.. a bit.. which is great.. the pastures are actually green . 0.0 The other day.. it hailed... GOLF ball sized hail..

my poor horses.. they didnt wanna stay in the shelter.. so were just getting hit by them:(.. along with the tornado that touched down about 4 miles away..

* meanwhile.. stacie was outside looking at clouds.. doesn't even notice a tornado..* lol..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.