The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm going to be bathing Pony more regularly now, as part of my plan to try to get rid of his rain rot. By bathing I mean getting him fully wet and using an anti-bacterial / anti-fungal shampoo all over him. Followed by picking off any scabs, then putting topical treatment on the spots. I'm guessing I would do this once or twice a week, at least until (if) the rain rot starts getting better. At which point I'd switch back to just treating those spots directly.

I know that bathing a horse and using products on him can cause other kinds of skin issues. How do I find the balance of bathing him enough but not too much?

Registered
Give the listerine baby oil mix a shot. It really works.馃挭

Reactions: ACinATX

Registered
Feed Ten CC鈥檚 of injectable cow Vitamin A&D, ORALLY, mixed into the feed. One time should be all you have to do that but you could repeat that in 2-4 weeks.

Also up his pure vitamin E with zero selenium added, unless where you live is very low In selenium.

I give my horses an extra 3,000 IU daily of pure Vitamin E. Rusty because he is prone to environmental skin allergies and Duncan because he鈥檚 new to this environment and he鈥檚 26.

I bath Rusty with MalAcetic if he has a flare up- which it鈥檚 July 10th and so far so good馃槆馃槆

Super Moderator
Be careful in your quest to stop the rain-rot you not create another nightmare....dry skin cracking and itchy.
You do not want to strip the skin of natural oils either..
Bathe, yes... but spray with a product to treat rain-rot or bacterial inflection of the skin which is what rain rot is...a infection. Do not bathe and bathe and bathe.... treat the lesions, bathe as needed.
Its a multi-faceted process of healing, replace what is missing from the diet {see walkins comment above, it works!}, treating to stop the bacteria from increasing and then adding daily care products to reinforce the joint effort to get a result positive in healing and preventing a reoccurrence.

I know many use original Listerine and water in a spray bottle, spot treat....
I've use that, but prefer to use Banixx product for many issues of skin breakdown and infections...another for me of must haves in my arsenal of care products.

If you are using fly sheets you might want to reconsider that...the weight of a damp sheet kept on stops the natural lofting Pony would do to dry his coat to the skin and dry his skin needed...
Rain-rot is a opportunistic bacteria that capitalizes on our hot, humid weather and animals sweating profusely daily in their natural means of sweating to cool off...
Watch the face too for the same bacteria to set up house under that mask...beware.
馃惔...

Registered
I wouldn't over-bathe him. I've found, for rain rot, using Equiderma lotion helps more than anything.
The 'fungus amungus' shampoo is pretty good too, but again, don't over-use. Less is more!

Registered
One of the best things you can do for rain rot is to just curry, curry, curry - every chance you get to groom the horse when it's dry. It stimulates the skin and gets the natural oils distributed, gets the crusties off, keeps everything nice and aired out so the fungus and bacteria can't grow.

Registered
Get some MTG! I use fungasol by absorbine ( you鈥檒l need a shampoo that fights fungus and bacteria) once a week at first, then knock it back to every other week once the rain rot is clearing up. In between bathings, I work a liberal amount of MTG into the affected areas about 3-4 times a week. The stuff reeks, but it鈥檚 literal gold! Helps the hair grow back too!

Registered
Get some MTG! I use fungasol by absorbine ( you鈥檒l need a shampoo that fights fungus and bacteria) once a week at first, then knock it back to every other week once the rain rot is clearing up. In between bathings, I work a liberal amount of MTG into the affected areas about 3-4 times a week. The stuff reeks, but it鈥檚 literal gold! Helps the hair grow back too!
it is great that MTG has worked on your horse for skin issues but many of us long time horse owners are not advocates of using MTG as it can cause the skin to burn on sensitive horses or with repeated use on horses that aren鈥檛 sensitive to sulfur 馃

MTG stinks to the Heavens because it is sulfur based.

I have read more than once on these forums (back when there were several horse forums) of horse owners needing to call a vet to treat skin reactions from over use of MTG. One in particular that comes to mind was the pictures of a very hairless and very raw tail dock that wouldn鈥檛 heal and the owner kept applying MTG. It was the MTG causing the reaction. The tail dock became infected from being rubbed raw by the horse, and the owner ender up with an unneeded vet bill, had she no5 used the MTG.

MTG does do a great job of keeping the ticks off my horses in the spring, if I soak their lower tails in it and lightly (LIGHTLY) rub it on their fetlock hair. I鈥檝e never seen it help fend off or heal scratches, as has been advertised.

What a person chooses to use for skin issues on their horse is up to every horse owner, but I sure would not put a sulfur-based product on my horses backs in the miserable heat that 90 million U.S. people are currently living thru <鈥斺攖hat number from the meteorologists, I didn鈥檛 make it up馃馃

Registered
I use the liquid ADE vitamins that are injectable for cows, top dressed over their feed buckets. I give 5 cc's once a week for 3 weeks, then once a month the rest of the year until they're out on pasture full time. If pasture is poor, like this year, then I keep it up all year.

I also swear by Eqyss Microtek products to treat the existing rain rot. Shampoo the horse, let stand for about 10 mins, rinse and either use the spray or gel, once a week until cleared up. I prefer the gel, but I really think it's personal preference. Good grooming, currying and brushing will help get it under control and help keep any other issues from arising.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts