The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to treat rain rot my horse has two big areas of it. It's to cold to give a bath.

Not sure how he got rain rot when it's been sub zero temps. Just last few days has gotten into single digits and low teens.

If just left alone will it go away with no treatment??

·
Registered
37 Posts
How to treat rain rot my horse has two big areas of it. It's to cold to give a bath.

Not sure how he got rain rot when it's been sub zero temps. Just last few days has gotten into single digits and low teens.

I’ll take pictures of the stuff I use tomorrow when I go to the barn

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
Eqyss has a spray that could help or there is a powder called No Trush that can be used on the skin.

No. It will likely spread if conditions are right. As they were present for it to start figuring out why it started could help.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts

If you leave it alone he may well lose so much hair that he is extremely cold. Name brand listerine diluted by water (I usually go half and half) has never failed me. For further reference, it would be ideal to groom your horse often enough to notice before his rain rot gets bad enough to cover two large areas, though if you just got the horse I can understand. Or if it came on very suddenly or if you haven’t had a horse with rain rot before and didn’t recognize the early signs. When you catch it early you’ll generally feel a slightly hard spot when you curry over it.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Super Moderator
14,695 Posts
Original Listerine, generic works too applied will kill the bacterial organism.
Not treating will cause it to spread and become a nightmare with your needing blankets with the super cold temperatures yet had.
I have also used Bannixx, a horse product for successful treating of.

Now I have also learned it is caused by a vitamin deficiency....
Vitamin A....

I dug out a old post made by very knowledgeable member sadly who is not active now...but the information they shared was wonderful and accurate. CREDIT TO CHERIE FOR THIS INFO:

"It is directly caused by a deficiency in Vitamin A. I have been supplementing Vitamin A for about 40 years and in that time, have had NO rain rot or lice -- also seen this same time of year.

Vitamin A is stored in the liver and horse's Vitamin A stores run out in late winter - early spring. Hay only has Vitamin A in reasonable amounts n it for about 6 months. So, just before green grass and warmer weather, stored Vitamin A runs out.

It affects their skin because it takes sufficient Vitamin A to have healthy skin, healthy eyes and a good immune system. I have raised horses for about 50 years. I used to have a mare or two that did not pass their afterbirth for several hours after foaling so would have to have a Vet out to 'clean' them. I have not had to clean a single mare since I started supplementing Vitamin A.

The main signs of a Vitamin A deficiency are:

Runny goopy eyes.

Flaky dry skin, rain rot and lice.

Poor heat cycles, breeding problems and failure to drop afterbirth within a few minutes of foaling.

Susceptibility to sickness and various illnesses.

You can supplement Vitamin A in many ways. A vitamin supplement like Farnam's 'Mare Plus' has very high levels of Vitamin A.

I use a loose mineral that has 150,000 units of Vitamin A per pound in it. Most horses eat 2 to 4 ounces a day of it.

We only feed a feed (a grain pellet) that has added Vitamin A in it.

When horses are deficient, the quickest way to get Vitamin A into them is to give them the injectable form only give it orally. Any stock or cattle supply store carries it in 100cc bottles. You can give a horse 4 or 5 cc orally and do it once a week until their problems clear up.

When we get in a horse that has rain rot, or scruffy skin, we deworm them and give them Vitamin A. I do not even treat it any more. A healthy horse with a good hair coat and good healthy skin will never get it from them and it clears up as quick or more quickly with the Vitamin A than it does to treat it.

Rain rot is always a symptom of unlealthy skin. The horses with healthy hair coats and lay flat and have a bloom on them even in the winter will never get it. Some horses just require more Vitamin A than others and it will always be the same ones each winter / spring.

They all clear up on their own once there is green grass -- a very good source of Vitamin A in nature."

There are many old threads here in the forum archives about rain rot that are excellent resources of information compiled.
Best of luck in ridding the yuck, but left alone it will worsen and spread.
🐴...

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
@rambo99 is this Ice? Do you have him blanketed?

Ditto everyone, rain rot will spread if let go.

If you keep him blanketed, I would cut the hair back around the spots, clean it with a 60:40 mix of original Listerine (or generic) & water as long as the skin is not raw, then put some sort of topical on it.

I have heard good things about Eqyss but Never used it. I have used Banixx. Various mixes of medicated ointments work but then you’ve got a real mess under the blanket.

I really support the Vitamin A. It works because the horse has an immune deficiency the Vitamin A corrects. However—— if this is Ice you’re asking about, you would have to check to see if he is allowed a few doses of Vitamin A.

I bought the injectable cow liquid Vitamin A either state the local Co-Op or TSC. I mixed ten CC’s I to the feed pan, one time THIS week, then another 10 CC’s into the feed pan in four weeks.

The rain rot disappeared for a few years and the coat color & texture became a lot more rich and soft.

The Vitamin A fix worked for sweet itch on this same horse (RIP Streeter)

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@walkinthewalk ,Yes it's ice yes he's blanketed been in two blankets with a neck cover. Only checking I did, for just over two weeks. Was to make sure he was warm under his blankets. No taking off blankets when highs are 10 below zero. He was fine prior to artic invasion of bitter cold.

He's getting 30,000 ius of vit A per serving of his supplement. Only thing I could find for treating rain rot was banixx so got it. No dry flaky skin just two spots with scabby stuff on one side of his flank area. Picked off a few scabs it's yucky pus stuff under scabs.

No lice I looked him over he's not itchy. He's just wearing one blanket now an no neck cover.

Something is upsetting his gut has the cow plops and tail and legs are a mess. Thinking I'm going to need to ditch the outlast and ultium competition. Him not pinning ears when being cinched didn't last he's back at it again.

I'm going to eliminate the ultium competition an outlast,see if the cow plops stop. Only new things in diet. He's eating supplement again with just alfalfa pellets mixed in, tried it last night.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Ok, he is getting plenty of Vitamin A, scratch that idea.

Rusty and Joker have had squirty btuts but their manure is normal. I know full well theirs is from eating something in the pasture ; I suspect it’s too many dead leaves mixed in with a pittance of grass.

Last year we stayed green up until right about now. This year the grass turned brown in November so they’ve been digging around more than normal.

When the equine chiro/holistic vet was here, she gave Rusty a thorough exam. She did some work on his Meridian points down his back and it helped but not 100%.

Rusty is the worse of the two. The chiro told me to get him started on Mylanta (60 CC’s daily) until I could get the human probiotic “Galactan” ordered for him. Well he is still on Mylanta, as I have not ordered the Galactan thanks to this weather severely interfering with trucking and I don’t want my order lost somewhere along the interstate.

The Mylanta has stopped the squirts but the purpose of the Galactan is to put the gut flora back in balance.

Maybe it’s something to consider for Ice:)

That said, she has only used this on dogs with colitis issues (with success) as my horses are the only ones she works on these days, except her own.

She buys it on Amazon.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
One teaspoon at a time, however long that is. It isn’t meant o be used long term, just until the horse gets its gut flora back on track:)

Reactions: AragoASB

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One teaspoon at a time, however long that is. It isn’t meant o be used long term, just until the horse gets its gut flora back on track:)
Did you put this in there feed? Wish I had knew about this earlier,was at walmart today.

Got 4 tubes of probios gave him a half of tube this evening. Will see if it helps him.

Can I put the banixx on over blu- kote?? that's what I sprayed on it last night. He's got some new spots of rain rot popping up on hindquarters,I treated those with the banixx.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
1. My WalMart doesn’t have Galactan on the shelf. I called all the heath food stores in my area and nobody carries it. I have to order it, so I don’t have it yet.

2. Give the Blue Koted spots a few days for it dissipate before you put the Bannix on.

3. Do you have a spare blanket you can put on Ice for a few hours?

It just occurred to me the underside of the blanket that touches him needs cleaned or nothing is going to clear up, until it’s warm enough to take the blankets off him:(

When I do have to blanket a horse, thankfully it is only during the day.

As soon as the blanket comes off the horse, I bring it to the house and clean the underside with hot tap water & apple cider vinegar; donate an old wash cloth or kitchen dish rag to the cause:). I never bother with the outside of the blanket.

I turn the blanket upside down in the dining room table, and leave it sit there until it dries, which is generally about an hour.

Believe me I hated that drill when I had four horses and I had blankets turned upside down all over this house but, since it’s my house it’s my rules that I can bend if I have to, lollol

Cleaning the underside of a blanket is a big PITA but it’s probably the only way you stand a chance of clearing the rain rotand other itchies up.

4. Having two heavy blankets to switch them out while one the underside of one is being cleaned, would be ideal but they are expensive, especially the denier you need for your area.

It seems like when there is one big health issue with any horse, something else is always popping up:(

I will say one thing for this ice storm that kept us below freezing for 8 straight days and made our ridge line look like a tornado went thru —— Joker’s swollen gland in his throat, caused by the Cushings, has gone down to where he can clean his feed pan without leaving a lot of drool in it.

Helping with Cushings maladies is about all it’s been good for. I have to quilt his legs every single night to help with circulation that the IR caused and he foundered from ———-

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,077 Posts
I've used extra strength Desitin (diaper rash cream) successfully for mud fever/scratches, which is essentially rain rot of the heels and legs. Maybe it could work as a not-too-wet treatment for the rain rot, in winter? Messy, yes, but it's antibacterial, antifungal, moisturizing, gentle, and would soften the scabs, soothe the skin, and act as a bit of a barrier, too. It also doesn't create resistance the way stronger antibacterials can. Great for thrush too. As the Frank's Red Hot commercials say, "I put that (stuff) on everything!"

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I could not get Desitin one time and mixed triple antibiotic cream with athletes foot cream. Works great on thrush which is the only problem I ever had,knock on wood.

·
Registered
60 Posts
At Walgreens in the Wound care section is something every horse/dog owner should have. It's called Hibiclens or the generic Chlorhexadine Gluconate. It's what we use in surgery to scrub before surgery. It's also something that is very valuable if you are trying not to get Covid. We scrub, adding water to the brush for 10 minutes, up to your elbows. Then rinse and dry. Studies have shown after a 10 min scrub, Hibiclens continues killing ALL bacteria, viruses, fungus and yeast on the skin for at least 24 hours and as long as 48 hours. When Covid first broke, we were in Florida and there were no masks available for the flight home. We all scrubbed to our elbows, washed our faces for 5 minutes, and used a small amount on a Q-Tip for the inside of our our noses. We blew our noses after 3 minutes. None of the 5 of us got Covid. There's one thing to Hibiclens though. You can't wash with regular soap during the 24 time it's active or you "deactivate" the Hibiclens, so additional hand washes should be with Hibiclens. It does not sting on open wounds. You can use a gauze 4x4 and gently scrub the wound or soak it. Scrubbing is best, even if it bleeds. I usually just use another gauze to dry it. On rain rot, you pick the scabs off, wet the leg with Hibiclens in warm water, then dry it, or just put it on the spots and leave it there 10 minutes and dry it. I've never had it come back. If you have a wound that needs an antibacterial, I highly suggest you get you vet to dispense Silvadene Cream. It's another thing we use on humans, dogs and horses and it is much better than Bacitracin Ointment. Since it has Silver in it the silver can oxidize and turn gray overnight, but it doesn't change how effective it is.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for info on Hibiclens getting horse wet isn't an option to cold out.

I have a tube of extra strength desitin didn't know it could be used for rain rot. It would be messy with the winter hair.

Scabs came off an skin looks healthy. I sprayed more banixx on it. The patch of scabs that had yucky stuff under them is all dried out today. Not so sure it was rain rot only a small
amount of hair came out with scabs.

Think one more time of banixx should be good. He's got on a clean sheet under his blanket ,took off dirty sheet this morning.

The Galactan not sure if our walmart has it or not, I'll be checking next time I'm there. The probiotics took care of his cow plop poop. Also ditched the ultium competition an outlast. He'll eat his supplement mixed in with alfalfa pellets. I prefer not to feed bagged feeds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts