The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to get rid of rain rot when it's cold outside? He's in the pasture with no barn. I know about listerine but I really don't want to get him all wet when it's in the 20's at night.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
So just feed him some carrots as a good snack?
Many folks will say that horses need even more vitamin A and feed liquid vitamin A, but we've only ever fed carrots (we feed 1/2 carrot everyday) and we've never had rain rot or any skin problems.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Use the A and D first. It's cheap and will clear it up. You could also use some athletes foot powder on it if it's real cold. Carrots I suspect won't cure it, just hold it at bay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like that idea. I was hoping for some kind of powder. Any specific brand? I gave him 3 carrots today and plan on giving him some every day. I don't like this on him at all.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
dollar store should work just fine. You could also work a little iodine under the coat with your fingers. This way you won't get the horse soaked.

Vitamin A-D - Jeffers

a few drops of the vitamin on her feed will clear it up. Check the other post somebody put the dosing on it. That bottle will last one horse all year.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I love Calmcoat. It's the best stuff on earth. It's oil based and soaks into the skin, so it should be fine in the cold. A friend of mine dealt with a BAD case of rain rot with her gelding this past summer. Her trainer had her trying all kinds of junk, but nothing worked. I gave her some of my Calmcoat and within a week, his skin was all cleared up and the hair was growing back.

Reactions: Tate1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.