The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare has a bald spot under her left eye. Is this rain rot? I saw her rubbing it, but I don't know if it's the cause. I may be able to post pics later.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I suppose it could be, but it's not a common place to get it really. Perhaps it's another kind of irritation?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Has she got any gunk in her eye? And tears down face?

Could be she has something wrong IN the eye and is rubbing it because of that.

Pics.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's really just a bald spot. No gunk, open areas, or scabs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
It is common for lice to make bald spots around the eyes, especially right above them. Does she also have a rough hair coat and flakes and scruffy skin? Most skin problems seen this time of year are due to a Vitamin A deficiency. Lice, rain rot, scruffy skin, goopy or crusty eyes -- all are cured by getting a horse sufficient Vitamin A. It is much better to fix the cause than to just treat skin problems over and over until green grass (with its vitamin A) actually fixes it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have noticed that my 4 yo gelding is doing that too. Both eyes seem to have a "thin" spot below both eyes that just seems to get thinner. Didn't worry too much about it as there hasn't been any drainage or anything to suggest cause of concern. I'm interested to know though...especially if I need to be doing something for him.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It is common for lice to make bald spots around the eyes, especially right above them. Does she also have a rough hair coat and flakes and scruffy skin? Most skin problems seen this time of year are due to a Vitamin A deficiency. Lice, rain rot, scruffy skin, goopy or crusty eyes -- all are cured by getting a horse sufficient Vitamin A. It is much better to fix the cause than to just treat skin problems over and over until green grass (with its vitamin A) actually fixes it.
Mine has a decent hair coat and his skin seems ok. Would this suggest lice then?

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Rain scald/rain rot usually forms in places that get wet and stay wet longest, like the tips of the ears and either side of the spine. What you are describing isn't typical of the appearance of rain scald, which in its mild form causes some dandruff-like flaking, and then almost oily-feeling dirty spots that aren't really dirt, and in a bad case, the hair falls out in bunches than resemble paintbrushes. Sorry about the quick not-so-great description, but google this and you'll get loads of very good veterinary articles on rain scald for horse owners, with pictures, treatment etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.