The Horse Forum banner

Rallying Thoroughbred/Criollo Owners

2240 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  KigerQueen
Please report in if you own a Thoroughbred or Thoroughbred-mix. I am considering a horse to buy in the future. Please share your thoughts and experiences on Thoroughbred ownership, purpose and the feel of riding one. I am also looking for the same input from Criollo or Criollo-mix owners as well. Are TBs much more expensive than Criollo to keep or vice versa? What price range am I looking at approximately? Thank you so very much, everyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Super Moderator
11,160 Posts
I like both. Have ridden/played both. I own TBs/TBxQHs.

I don't know of any difference in the cost of keeping one versus the other. Initial cost will depend on availability and the amount of training or skill or the horse. I have seen very low cost and very high costs in both breeds.

Have fun finding the just right horse for you.

· Registered
86 Posts
I have always had TBs. Whether they are suited to you or not will depend entirely on what you want to do with them. To me the reason to own them is because they are athletes. If you want a sporty performance horse they are usually awesome That being said, there are days when they wear me out ... they are higher strung and generally higher maintenance than many other types. If you want a quiet pleasure riding horse I would not generally recommend a thoroughbred. They can be very sensitive and reactive which in part is what makes them such great athletes. But you will need to know what you're doing to train one as things can escalate quickly with many TBs.

They are not all easy keepers, especially when they are young. You may need to supplement a young TBs feed more than other types to keep their weight on. I have found them more expensive the keep than other breeds. That may not be the case depending on where you live as we have pretty long cold winters here and mine have always needed a little extra care to come out well in the Spring.

I often think of them as being a little like border collies... smart and quick and when they have a job to do and get enough work they are amazing. Without that though they will drive you nuts.

As far as price, it depends completely on what training they have had. That being said, around here a thoroughbred will likely only ever be worth so much. They will sort of max out in what they are worth at the high end of the more expensive disciplines. And generally speaking, they will have to have proved themselves more to be worth the same as some of the supposedly fancier breeds. This can of course be a good thing if you are a bargain hunter but not so much when it comes to selling them.

· Registered
45 Posts
I was always against tbs until I got mine and leased a quarter horse/ tb cross. Both of them have/ had the heart of gold. My tb now is a pure athlete. He puts his heart into everything. He's a gelding, but some days I swear he a mare just without as much attitude. This horse will do just about anything I ask him as long as he feels the confidence from me. I have buried him so deep into a fence, or done the "Jesus take the reins approach" or asked him to take a fence at some crazy angel, and he could easily (and I wouldn't really blame him) stop on me but he saves me every time and puts his all into it. He is a little spooky at some weird things but he's far from high strung. I often have to ride him with a crop or spur.

Downside is he is a very hard keeper. He's had so many minor colic episodes on me that its like a routine. Luckily only one warranted a hospital visit. He's on about $150 worth of supplements a month to keep up on his ulcer preventative program as well as his weight. The initial treatment for the ulcers cost a little over a 1000$. He drops weight over nothing. He's a cribber and drives me nuts with that. His feed program is a little crazy and I need to have his feet done every four weeks with special shoes and pads.

But it is totally worth it. I've never met a horse that puts in so much effort in for me.

http://imgur.com/sS8wjIa

http://imgur.com/OajXX6f

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XC, hunts and endurance are what I hope the horse can do. That's why I feel stuck between Criollo and TB, aside from ability, appearance is also part of the equation. That's why I am asking for advice. Thanks.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
I know nothing about Criollos (I don't think anyone around here has one?) I do have a TB though! I bought her as a 4 yo. My friend originally purchased her, and I bought her off the friend a week and a half later. Beverley was originally abandoned in a field for a year - year and a half, then meat man had her and friend found her same day and wound up purchasing her. I bought her for $1.00 to make the sale legal.

From the beginning she has always been a quiet and laid back horse - that being said, I would NOT recommend a TB or OTTB for anyone other than an experienced rider/trainer. I am sure there are other super quiet TBs out there, but I do feel that I got extremely lucky with her and how laid back her personality is. I can honestly say she is the laziest horse I have ever worked with, but at the same time she has a ton of heart and try, she has always given 110%. She is the horse I stick all my beginner friends on if they tag along to the barn and want to plunk around on "the pretty horsey", lol. At the same time, she has come quite far undersaddle as well as in the show ring - exactly what I always wanted in a horse, but more than I ever could have dreamed of.

Bridle Horse Halter Horse supplies Horse tack

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Bridle Rein

Horse Rein Mammal Bridle Horse supplies

Horse Halter Bridle Equestrianism Rein

· Registered
45 Posts
Thoroughbreds are awesome! Although mine is not the typical "high strung athlete", he is very intelligent! I find they are quick learners and have unique personalities!

· Registered
5,354 Posts
he is not tattooed but we have a 31 year old tb gelding. he is a fantastic horse! babysitter in the arena and racer on the trail lol!
not bad for an old guy. he was 30 in this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eefVNS1Kes

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.