The Horse Forum banner

Ranch Trail questions

2392 Views 70 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  farmpony84
First question is on the bit. This show will let you ride in a snaffle no matter the age of the horse. I read the rules on the bits but the bit I have with the shank (it's a mylar level 1) is called snaffle. Is it actually considered a snaffle? Can I use it for show? The second bit is the one I'll use if I can't. The question on that one is slobber strap? Yes?

Next question is on the rain slicker. I put a jacket on a post and pulled it off. I put it left and right and crossed it over the back and laid it there then on the withers. I rode around the ring and then hung it back up. What amount of movement and shaking it around are you actually expected to do? Do you just pick it up and move it from point a to point b or do you have to lay it on the horse?

The log. I set up a pole and have the rope on it so I pulled the log around the pole but when I put it back I didn't quite get it close enough so I pulled it close by using my hands and then hung the rope back up. Can I do that or do I ride around again until it's lined up close to the pole again? Does it have to be put back close to the pole or does it matter?

And last question (for now)... The rope. I can swing the rope over my head and throw it onto the "cow" but I can't figure out how to hold it and the reins. Do you put the reins down when you do it? Do you hold it and the reins in your left hand? Do you throw from a certain side of the horse or does it matter (the head - left right over top?)
Brown Luggage and bags Tartan Sleeve Bag
Sleeve Bag Luggage and bags Strap Electric blue
Automotive tire Carabiner Tool Rock-climbing equipment Electrical wiring
Carabiner Rock-climbing equipment Electrical wiring Automotive tire Rope (rhythmic gymnastics)

Thanks....
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

Super Moderator
The definition of a snaffle bit is headstall and rein are both on the same ring.
Font Body jewelry Bicycle part Jewellery Silver

I googled a Myler 1 snaffle bit with shank getting the image above...

In English or western showing this would be considered a curb bit.
Headstall attachment ring above the mouthpiece and reins attach below = curb.

Now how that is seen by your organizations rules is up to them...
馃惔...

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what a curb bit is. I asked because it's called a snaffle (if you buy it) so I was asking if it qualifies as a snaffle for ranch riding. I am assuming it doesn't but I'm asking because I don't know for sure.

Super Moderator
Apologies...I'm sure you know what a curb bit is....so when later added the pictures to me you know your answer...

The 1st and 2nd are curb bits, regardless of the mouthpiece it is a leverage bit.
The 3rd and 4th bits are snaffle, regardless of the mouthpiece they apply no leverage hence are snaffle designated.

If really not sure by reading your show organizations rules then call the show secretary and ask, better yet text the person and show a picture and get it in writing which is allowed and which is not.

To me, if you need a snaffle bit.....headstall & rein on same ring is the definition widely used & accepted in English and western show organizations....but who knows.:unsure:
Hope you figure it out....
Have a good evening.
馃惔....

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first and second are the same bit. The third and fourth are the same bit. Are you picking on me?!馃お

I read the rules and I think I'm reading it as not but then I googled ranch riding and a lot of the things I saw were people two handing a bit similar to my curb. I use that one with two hands a lot at home but I bought it for one hand. (Which I can do). I originally used the second bit with two hands but retired it when I bought the shank. I think I'm going to practice with the snaffle a little to see which I think I'll do best in. Personally - I think I'll do best with two hands...

I assume I need the slobber strap... I couldn't find if yo are supposed to have one or not. I do have one but haven't put it on the bit yet. I did use it on a different bridle with a different bit (snaffle)...

Registered
On throwing a rope off a horse a right handed person throw from the right side and the left throws from the left. I use ropers reins which makes it easier to hold your reins and your rope coils in your left hand then the right hand holds a throws the loop. My little and ring finger hold the reins and my middle, pointer finger and thumb hold the coils. The dead end of the ropeis the only coil held tight as you have to feed when thrown.

Super Moderator
Are you picking on me?!馃お
Why would I do that?
I was trying to help..... :cautious:
Still am.....

I found after reading several times before ranch class rules there was quite the confusion from several others who had asked me to help them make correct tack choices in this state...
Those who asked got the same response...."Call your show secretary, better is text them and get it in writing from them in case you fail tack inspections you can produce a phone and clarification of allowed by the show secretary."
馃惔....

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to ask at the show. I was just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and switch bits. I already put together a second bridle so I will have them both at the show. Ideally I would show with one hand. I feel confident for the most part but then when it comes to the side pass and the gate I feel like I would do better with two hands. If that's the case then I'll need to do the entire course with two hands. I think I'll play around with both bits for a while and see how I feel... I think going with the two hands would just make it less stressful.... But then it also feels like cheating... but I guess it's not if it's allowed....

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ksbowman I have a cheap TSC rope but I just ordered a breakaway instead. I ordered the rubber strap also. Do I put it on the left side or the right? Or does it matter.. I'm right handed. Or should I actually hang it on the back of the saddle instead of the front?

Registered
Right handed it rest across your right thigh. I just bought a new rope about a month and a half ago that is fantastic. So easy to throw and catch. I'll have to look and see the brand I want to say it is a Rattler and it is a soft. The right rope makes things so much easier.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually looked at that one but it looks like the one I ordered is:
Cactus Ropes Tsunami 25' 4 Strand CoreTX Breakaway Rope - 10.25 脳 1
Should I return it and order the other one? I bout it from NRS World and they do carry the Spyder 5.

Registered
First question is on the bit. This show will let you ride in a snaffle no matter the age of the horse. I read the rules on the bits but the bit I have with the shank (it's a mylar level 1) is called snaffle. Is it actually considered a snaffle? Can I use it for show? The second bit is the one I'll use if I can't. The question on that one is slobber strap? Yes?

Next question is on the rain slicker. I put a jacket on a post and pulled it off. I put it left and right and crossed it over the back and laid it there then on the withers. I rode around the ring and then hung it back up. What amount of movement and shaking it around are you actually expected to do? Do you just pick it up and move it from point a to point b or do you have to lay it on the horse?

The log. I set up a pole and have the rope on it so I pulled the log around the pole but when I put it back I didn't quite get it close enough so I pulled it close by using my hands and then hung the rope back up. Can I do that or do I ride around again until it's lined up close to the pole again? Does it have to be put back close to the pole or does it matter?

And last question (for now)... The rope. I can swing the rope over my head and throw it onto the "cow" but I can't figure out how to hold it and the reins. Do you put the reins down when you do it? Do you hold it and the reins in your left hand? Do you throw from a certain side of the horse or does it matter (the head - left right over top?)
From the AQHA rulebook, which is what most shows use.

- Horses 5-years-old and younger may be shown in a snaffle bit, hackamore, curb bit, half-breed or spade bit. Horses 6-years-old and older may only be shown in a curb bit, half-breed or spade bit. Split reins or romal reins must be used on a curb bit except in speed events, team penning, ranch sorting, roping and cowboy mounted shooting where they are optional. When a curb bit is used, a curb strap or curb chain is required, but must meet the approval of the judge, be at least onehalf inch in width and lie flat against the jaw of the horse. Curb chains cannot be tied to the bit with string or cord. A broken strap or chain is not necessarily cause for disqualification.

- Put on slicker or coat.

- Drag an object: For open and amateur classes ONLY. The drag is not to be used in youth classes. Drag may be a complete figure eight and may begin in either direction. The exhibitor must have the rope dallied on the saddle horn (half or full dally) for the duration of the drag.

- Rope or riata; if used, the rope or riata must be coiled and attached to the saddle.

I'd have the rope on my throwing side, but it's whatever you're most comfortable with.

Registered
@farmpony84 , The only breakaway ropes I've used were given to me many years ago and had a metal flip piece on them that made them feel bulky. Use what you like because everybody is different. I've used a lot of different ropes and most are too stiff for my liking that's why I like the soft rating but , even with that rating I think they are stiff . They work good for heading or heeling. I don't want to influence you too much but, did want to let you know how impressive the Spydr 5 was.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Dreamcatcher Arabians it says they go by AQHA rules but allow snaffle bits for all ages. So I'm just going to practice with my regular snaffle in case I decide to use it. I'll also continue practicing with my curb. I'm mostly worried about the gate and the side pass. Really - the side pass. The gate you are one hand in anyway...

poo... maybe I will just practice with the curb....

Super Moderator
I know what a curb bit is. I asked because it's called a snaffle (if you buy it) so I was asking if it qualifies as a snaffle for ranch riding. I am assuming it doesn't but I'm asking because I don't know for sure.
It would be a shanked/curb/leverage bit and not considered a snaffle. To differentiate bits for custom orders Myler sold bits with descriptors using mouthpiece first and cheek piece second. The determination on the type of bit was action/cheek piece. Your first is a leverage bit, as you know. It would fall under that category. Mouth piece is fixed and doesn't slide so if legal then in a show where they're not restricting bits by age I don't see why that bit wouldn't be allowed. But I am not very familiar with western showing. It was a passing interest for my child. Driving though we had Mylers and when we ordered there was initial confusion about what we needed to order because of their wording for sales and wording for legal vs illegal in shows.

Registered
@Dreamcatcher Arabians it says they go by AQHA rules but allow snaffle bits for all ages. So I'm just going to practice with my regular snaffle in case I decide to use it. I'll also continue practicing with my curb. I'm mostly worried about the gate and the side pass. Really - the side pass. The gate you are one hand in anyway...

poo... maybe I will just practice with the curb....
Are these classes listed as Rookie or Level 1? In that case I think they're legal for snaffle regardless of age of horse. And, of course, if it's a backyard show, non-rated, not AQHA approved, then they can just use the rule book (mostly) and not use what they don't want.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Dreamcatcher Arabians It's an all breed Stock Horse Show & AQHA Versatility Ranch Horse Show AQHA Ranch Riding & AQHA Ranch Trail so they do have AQHA classes in it owhich I will do but those obviously completely follow AQHA rules. Day one are the limited rider classes for me and then day two has the AQHA classes which I'll do Novice. I have not shown in about 10 years. I did a local show about 5 or 6 years ago where I rode in the Ranch Horse walk/trot classes and then I did a western dressage show a few weeks about but I've never done an actual Ranch Horse show because I keep telling myself that I'm not ready. So I've decided I'm just going to do it.

I think if it were a normal AQHA show I'd be less nervous because I still know a ton of people in that circle but that was HUS and WP. This is a different circuit but I'm sure the people are nice and I'm worrying about nothing....

But I appreciate the help from you guys!

Registered
I am taking a ranch trail clinic this weekend with AQHA APHA carded Judge, Jodie Moore! I will ask her all your questions. She owes me, she is bringing a bag of horse tails for me!

Reactions: farmpony84

Registered
First question is on the bit. This show will let you ride in a snaffle no matter the age of the horse. I read the rules on the bits but the bit I have with the shank (it's a mylar level 1) is called snaffle. Is it actually considered a snaffle?

I know what a curb bit is. I asked because it's called a snaffle (if you buy it) so I was asking if it qualifies as a snaffle for ranch riding. I am assuming it doesn't but I'm asking because I don't know for sure
If you know what a curb is, then you know the Myler bit is a CURB bit and it does NOT qualify as a snaffle bit per showing rules. Catalogs and websites often incorrectly labels bits as snaffle bits when they are NOT. They are referring to the mouthpiece which of course is NOT how a curb vs snaffle is defined.

Catalogs and websites also call DE-worming medications "wormer" which is wrong too. (Can't trust everything you read - you aren't putting worms into your horse!)

Can I use it for show?

It's an all breed Stock Horse Show & AQHA Versatility Ranch Horse Show AQHA Ranch Riding & AQHA Ranch Trail so they do have AQHA classes in it owhich I will do but those obviously completely follow AQHA rules. Day one are the limited rider classes for me and then day two has the AQHA classes which I'll do Novice. I have not shown in about 10 years. I did a local show about 5 or 6 years ago where I rode in the Ranch Horse walk/trot classes and then I did a western dressage show a few weeks about but I've never done an actual Ranch Horse show because I keep telling myself that I'm not ready. So I've decided I'm just going to do it.
For some very specific AQHA classes (I believe rookie) you can show your horse two-handed in a snaffle bit. But for the rest of the AQHA classes (including novice), if your horse is over the age of 5, you must show one-handed in a curb bit such as your Myler. If rookie classes are not offered, then expect to show your horse one-handed in a curb.

it says they go by AQHA rules but allow snaffle bits for all ages.
But then that is NOT AQHA rules?? I would contact show management and get precise clarification. I don't understand how you can "go by AQHA rules" but then kick out one of the major rules.

I assume I need the slobber strap... I couldn't find if yo are supposed to have one or not. I do have one but haven't put it on the bit yet. I did use it on a different bridle with a different bit (snaffle)...
Yes, if you have a curb bit, you must have a curb strap on it. Either plain leather or FLAT chain (twisted chain is illegal).

What does the pattern specifically say, if anything?
If it does not specify if you are to do anything with the rain slicker, I will usually put it on myself, take it off, and then rub it on my horse, and then place it back on the post.
Again, unless your pattern specifically tells you what to do with it.

Always attempt to put the log back exactly where you found it, if you can. Do NOT pull it with your hands. You need to let your horse do the pulling.

Here's a video of myself doing Ranch Trail last summer, including a log pull. It's up to you if you want to trot. If you choose to do that, make sure you stay in the trot the whole time. Some judges will reward the trot with higher scoring. But you can walk if you choose. Typically, when you get close to where you are ending, then you ask your horse to back up (as if you were dragging a calf to the branding fire) and then that is what allows you to get the log precisely where you want it. Then walk forward and place your rope back on the holding post. You aren't required to do the backup but most judges will reward that with higher scoring; plus it again allows you to get the log placed better.

I don't have a video but I did ranch trail a month or two ago and the log obstacle was extremely challenging. They had it set up at a very odd angle. Because of that, the judged announced you could drag the log from either side. Normally, you want the rope on your right side so that you can demonstrate that your horse will accept and feel of the rope on their butt. But in that instance they said you could do it the other way. My horses are broke and well trained so I did it the challenging way and got the rope on the right side.

Please, do lots of practice at home so your horse doesn't freak out from swinging the rope over it's head.

Now, please note, I am NOT a roper by any means, LOL. I just throw one for ranch trail and this year, got pretty lucky so far.
Rope is swung with your right hand. You hold the tail of the rope with your left hand, simultaneously holding the reins. You do not put your reins down b/c then you have no control over your horse.
When you catch your dummy, then dally the end of the rope and "pull tight".
Now sometimes, you aren't technically required to catch anything. At the AQHA world show, they just had to throw the rope toward a square bale but not actually catch anything. So it really just depends on the pattern itself.

Or should I actually hang it on the back of the saddle instead of the front?
You can hang your rope anywhere, but I would suggest hand it on the horn or somewhere on the front because then it is easy to access when you need it, like so:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts