Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Im posting this for my friends horse, Aurora, who I also ride on occasion. She went to the barn on Monday and found her horse, a 7 y/o Appendix, having very random muscle spasms.... A vet was called but never heard of anything like it. Discussing it, it seems as if Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis, HYPP, could be a possibility but hopefully not. Her horse is related to a horse known as Impressive and HYPP is also known as Impressive Syndrome and found in quarter horses related to him. Here are some links and videos, please take a look if you have any ideas. We are waiting on blood work.

Her horses lineage showing a relation to Impressive: Bolds Gotta Diamond Quarter Horse

HYPP: Hyperkalemic periodic paralysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Videos: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152035841322089&set=vb.622782088&type=2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152035839232089&set=vb.622782088&type=2&theater

Thanks for any help!

Tom

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Yes, it definitely sounds like it would be worth testing for it. It's a pretty simple test to do- doesn't require a vet visit or anything. You just need to pull a few hairs with the root still attached and send them to a lab like UC Davis

HYPP can often be managed with a careful diet, so that's something to look into if the horse does turn out to be HYPP N/H.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, she definitely is confirmed to be a descendant of Impressive. I know the vet took blood work so hopefully they test for it, if not I will look into the hair testing.

Anymore information on managing it would be helpful. Her diet has been changed a good amount over the last 1-2 years to keep her in better shape.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
EPSM can also cause muscle spasms, I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
From the little I know of HYPP it seems likely. Well her condition looks good, but it's very serious that her diet be fine tuned for her if she is HYPP, you need to do everything you can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vet called, they didnt test for HYPP but after seeing the video and knowing the relation to Impressive she said HYPP would be very likely.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Sorry for the bad news. So many people learn about it the hard way.
I will say I'd rather have bad news then no news so you know how to handle it right.
What else did the vet say? Did you get any advice?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
If HYPP was very likely in her opinion, why wouldn't she test the horse to confirm it? :shock:
Because it's not a blood test like a Coggins that any vet can do. The University of California at Davis owns the test, so a hair sample must be sent to them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The owners of the horse told me the vet said she has very high iron, almost double the normal amount. Everything else in the blood test looked fine. As it was mentioned, hair would need to be sent to UC Davis to confirm HYPP for sure. I think they are doing that.

Other than that, the vet said these spasms could happen frequently, or never again. This could have been the first or only the first we witnessed. Her diet will have to be altered to suit HYPP assuming it comes back positive.

Thanks you all for the replies!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.