The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
Odd for the shape to be that perfect. Looks like rain rot above it in that other patch
That would cause the raised look. The shape unless it is a burn or scald of some sort would not be that perfect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Odd for the shape to be that perfect. Looks like rain rot above it in that other patch
That would cause the raised look. The shape unless it is a burn or scald of some sort would not be that perfect.
It hasn’t rained here in weeks and she was fine yesterday. I brushed the one on top and seems she had rolled in manure. I am wondering if it’s a sting of some sort. She’s not sore to the touch, hasn’t messed with it. Very strange

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
Ditto that looks like one giant hive from a bite. The only time I’ve ever seen anything close to that was a horse at the vet clinic. The horse had been in its stall all night, so the consensus was a spider bite.

We have Black Widows and Brown Recluse. Black Widows stay out of the way, behind the kickboards but it’s possible the horse happened to lay down on top of one and got bit — so went the speculation anyway:)

It hasn’t rained here in weeks and she was fine yesterday.
It’s too late in the horse world to change the name of “rain rot” to something else but please know it does not have to rain for a horse to have rain rot. If the horse lived in the desert and was prone to skin issues, it could develop rain rot:). Some horses are prone to it, others not so much:)

It can be a popular thing to see during shedding season - especially if it is not possible to brush the horse every day. People work, people board, people have other things to attend to, so the horse does not always enjoy a vigorous curry.

Their skin will get warm under all that hair, they sweat and they itch. Then they roll hoping to alleviate everything, but mostly it grinds dirt into an already itchy skin and voila! now you have rain rot without ever having seen any rain:):)

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
I don't see rain rot in the pic -- just dirt! But it's possible.
I felt obligated to explain that rain rot can exist without having seen a drop of rain in the sky for days. The term is very misleading:)

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
I agree with others. Looks like a hive from an insect bite to me. I get them sometimes.

Reactions: okilydokily

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
I don't see the rain rot - just dry manure/dirt. I agree with the others. I think it's some sort of bite or sting. The spot where the dirt is looks like it could be another raised piece.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I am guessing insect bite or sting. My mare had a case of hives years ago and I never had a horse with hives before or after. I didn't even see the bite for several days after the hives went away. I decided it was a spider bite because she had a small oozy wound that took a couple of weeks to heal. That seemed consistent with what I read about spider bites. It was on her side so I think she laid on the spider!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a hive. My horse use to get them. He was allergic to calf manna!
The only thing I have changed is fly spray and I did put a lot on the day before this popped up. Also, we’ve got some trees blooming and their yellow flowers are attracting bees. Might be a combo of all of this — today she looks so much better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts