The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance. I'm just SO irritated. I just need to vent.

I had 2 horses that I offered out to lease years ago. It was a FREE lease. Meaning - the horses stayed at my house and I paid for all of their expenses other than showing or lessons. I did even offer to occasionally haul to lessons and shows. My stipulation was it had to be a kid that was enrolled in a riding program. They had to be beginner intermediate. The parents (at least one) had to be with them anytime they rode. That was my rules.

The first girl I got was such a horrible nightmare that I decided never mind. But then I got a call from a lady that had 2 girls. Elementary and middle school. Each took one of my horses and loved them like a little girl should. They rode them through high school and into college. Now they are "old" and don't come around anymore. One of the horses had to be put down because of Leukemia but they still pop in on a rare occasion to visit.

I decided I would try it again for the mare I have. She LOVES attention and really enjoys kids. I had a teenager come out that was really beginner but I thought ok... I can teach a bit. Well the first saddle I gave wasn't good enough. Not comfortable so I gave another. Still not good enough. Wants an English saddle. I am smarter this time around. Ended it after just a few rides. The kid acted like they were doing me a favor - and acted as though I owed them. Um. No - doesn't work that way.

Where are the little girls that love horses? I remember cleaning stalls just to be allowed to groom someones horse. I remember mowing grass just so I could be allowed to watch someone ride their horse. I would have done ANYTHING for this chance and I know she's a gaited horse so apparently (in this area) she's "less than" perfect. But you know what? She is BOMB PROOF. She is kind and she is gentle. She is loving and she is PERFECT.

I am just so sad that the little girls aren't out there anymore. I can not tell you how many times I begged and begged just for five minutes around a horse. I didn't even have to ride it! I just wanted to be near it.

Sad now.

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
It is sad...
But this is the way of some of today's kids...they are doing you a favor and should bow to them.
My size ten shoe would connect with their posterior end and boot them off the property with stern words to never return.

Those kids are still out there...don't be discouraged.
Have you thought about Girl Scouts?
There is a badge in the juniors/cadets, so age wise mid-teen and a love of the animal would be established, if they are looking to do a badge then they also must have some tutelage from a "mentor" or leader.
You might find what you search for with kids like these...
Or 4H....some of those kids love to be around but can't have for whatever the reason...but they are out their...
Not every kid is going to kick the gifter in the gut...only those out there for them, not for what they can earn as a reward for caring about a animal first and foremost.
Maybe a adult, small in stature would work better??
🐴...

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part of the “entitled” generation. Why not consider an adult rerider that is maybe a little low on confidence or finances? Your horse sounds perfect for one.
I would totally be ok with that as long as it was a female adult. I just don't know how to look for one. I had actually thought of that - it would be great to get someone out there that was even an older person (not OLDER but you know someone with kids grown that wants to ride again).

My teenager (She's his horse) goes through stages where he rides her for a month or two and then doesn't touch her again. I ride her every now and again but every time I pull her out for special attention I feel guilt all over again. She is just so loving and soaks up all the attention. I wish I had more time for her. I ride Cloud 3 to 5 times a week and then I get on Ri once or twice a week. She gets her ride every couple weeks out of me.

Right now we are riding her because we have a judged trail ride coming up but I would love for her to have someone come out and groom her and just enjoy her. The girl she had used to spend hours with her. She'd groom her and bath her, hand graze her, ride her... she would sit in the field with her and read... She just enjoyed being around her. She's grown now and has a horse of her own :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Those horse-crazy kids are out there. I have one at my house (8 year old)! She's constantly offering to help out at the barn because she wants to learn all she can. And I'm in the same boat! I WISH I could find a deal like that for myself! It sounds like a dream come true.

Are you leasing out your horse because she needs more ride hours than you can give?

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is sad...
But this is the way of some of today's kids...they are doing you a favor and should bow to them.
My size ten shoe would connect with their posterior end and boot them off the property with stern words to never return.

Those kids are still out there...don't be discouraged.
Have you thought about Girl Scouts?
There is a badge in the juniors/cadets, so age wise mid-teen and a love of the animal would be established, if they are looking to do a badge then they also must have some tutelage from a "mentor" or leader.
You might find what you search for with kids like these...
Or 4H....some of those kids love to be around but can't have for whatever the reason...but they are out their...
Not every kid is going to kick the gifter in the gut...only those out there for them, not for what they can earn as a reward for caring about a animal first and foremost.
Maybe a adult, small in stature would work better??
🐴...
I actually did have a girl scout troop out a couple weekends. I think there were 2 badges that they got to earn. My son rode her in 4-h a couple years and enjoyed her. The 4-h kids don't want the gaited horses though :(

Sierra is 16 hands and about 1300 lbs so the "small stature" isn't as huge an issue. I don't want crazy heavy but a regular person can ride her without issue.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My late father opened a can of worms when he thought I should learn to ride as a child; he loved horses and his family raised Arabians when he still lived in the ‘Old Country’.
I ate, slept and breathed horses as a result. I would literally have given up my right arm for one of my own. Back then there were a number of good riding stables around and if I begged long enough, my Mom would relent and take me. We lived in the city but my parents had good friends who purchased a farm, and they were wonderful about having me over to spend the day with their horses.
My daughter liked horses when she was young, but wasn’t obsessed. She has three children, first, two boys, then a girl. Finally, a little girl who could share my love of horses!
Didn’t work out that way. Instead it’s my second grandson who loves to come visit Angelina to ride 🙂

·
Registered
383 Posts
Oh she sounds lovely. I hope you find someone. I am the other side of the equation in that I would love to find something like that for myself (as an adult re-rider) and my kids (elementary and middle school ages), but I don't know how to find such a lease. (We are in NZ so of no use in your case sadly.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would like to submit my application for horse companion, rider, groomer. 🙋‍♀️

It's such a great thing you're offering! And a shame that you can't find a match. Do you know any local barns with smaller lesson programs? At the barn where I learned to ride, there were more adult/middle aged women than kids and they'd all started riding as adults. It might be worth trying.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are there no Facebook groups in your area for horse-related things? That is how I found my lease horses. Even as an adult I would kill for the opportunity you are offering, and I’m very lucky to have found something similar in my hometown.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm afraid to do an ad on facebook because I really don't want to deal with crazies. The first time I found riders I had posted an ad at the local tack shop.

It's really funny because I have 3 QHs and the TWH. When I do find potential riders - they ALWAYS want to ride the other horses. I'm not offering the other horses. I'm offering the TWH. But they want to jump and they want to ride english. I'm also not offering my english saddle. I offer a specific horse and specific tack and what I get is... give me more more more.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I had 2 horses that I offered out to lease years ago. It was a FREE lease. Meaning - the horses stayed at my house and I paid for all of their expenses other than showing or lessons. I did even offer to occasionally haul to lessons and shows. My stipulation was it had to be a kid that was enrolled in a riding program. They had to be beginner intermediate. The parents (at least one) had to be with them anytime they rode. That was my rules.

The first girl I got was such a horrible nightmare that I decided never mind. But then I got a call from a lady that had 2 girls. Elementary and middle school. Each took one of my horses and loved them like a little girl should. They rode them through high school and into college. Now they are "old" and don't come around anymore. One of the horses had to be put down because of Leukemia but they still pop in on a rare occasion to visit.

I decided I would try it again for the mare I have. She LOVES attention and really enjoys kids. I had a teenager come out that was really beginner but I thought ok... I can teach a bit. Well the first saddle I gave wasn't good enough. Not comfortable so I gave another. Still not good enough. Wants an English saddle. I am smarter this time around. Ended it after just a few rides. The kid acted like they were doing me a favor - and acted as though I owed them. Um. No - doesn't work that way.

Where are the little girls that love horses? I remember cleaning stalls just to be allowed to groom someones horse. I remember mowing grass just so I could be allowed to watch someone ride their horse. I would have done ANYTHING for this chance and I know she's a gaited horse so apparently (in this area) she's "less than" perfect. But you know what? She is BOMB PROOF. She is kind and she is gentle. She is loving and she is PERFECT.

I am just so sad that the little girls aren't out there anymore. I can not tell you how many times I begged and begged just for five minutes around a horse. I didn't even have to ride it! I just wanted to be near it.

Sad now.
Agree. I would have been so grateful to have someone like you being this generous.

·
Banned
36 Posts

Sad now.
Aww I feel so bad for you. Any opportunity to be near a horse is amazing for me! My current instructor was just like me growing up; we were OBSESSED with horses. We did all the dirty work just to be around them. We cleaned the barn, fed the horses, groomed horses, lunged horses, helped muck out stalls, etc. I always appreciate being around any horse, even if I couldn't ride. My instructor even told me that she was glad we found her because she said there is not that many "real" horse girl equestrians out there now. If I were you, I might even make them do things like groundwork and doing the dirty work a few times before actually riding so you know that they are passionate and actually care.

·
Registered
882 Posts
yeah, I am a teacher and I must tell you there are still alot of decent kids out there too. But still I do feel that it has come increasingly hard to 'earn' (yes, earn) the respect of kids. They really often have a bad work attitude. I can't imagine handing in homework late or not listening to a normal teacher... But I was raised in the more old fashioned authoritarian style (althoughy my parents were kind and sweet,they were also firm and wanted us to be polite and respectful.). Maybe I am old fashioned, but I think a little bit more respect would be nice...

I am really happy that my friend offered up her horse to teach me to ride. I gladly help her out and pay, I think it's only normal to be grateful. Some of her tack didn't work for me so I bought my own (with her permission and after the saddle was fitted to her horse.) If the kid wants another saddle they can buy that themselves. What disrespect to expect you to ''fix'' this. Grr.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
They are out there. I met a girl who went from non-ridier to racing in 4 years flat with zero money. She’s 16 and she ran her first race a few weeks ago (our courts don’t really do liability for people who put themselves in danger willingly so she’s allowed to race locally). She spent every waking hour at stables and made herself very useful and very dependable and they let her ride however much she wanted (again, liability isn’t an issue around here).

·
Banned
17 Posts
As a person who works her butt off at a barn, those girls don’t deserve your amazing-sounding mare. My barn has a program for lesson students ages 9+ to help out around the barn and after some training start earning “credit hours” which can be redeemed for extra lessons, horse shows, clinics, etc.
We’re expected to get horses ready for lessons, take care of them afterwards, and generally do whatever is needed. If we can’t make our scheduled day, we are expected to find a replacement. The “leads” (kids with the most experience) train the younger kids. It’s a great program that instills work ethic and bring our show team much closer together. More lesson barns should have this kind of thing, bc there are kids out there who will work hard.
I hope you find leasers that are truly interested in horses, and everything that comes with them!

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
As a teenage girl who works her butt off at a barn, those girls don’t deserve your amazing-sounding mare. My barn has a program for lesson students ages 9+ to help out around the barn and after some training start earning “credit hours” which can be redeemed for extra lessons, horse shows, clinics, etc.
We’re expected to get horses ready for lessons, take care of them afterwards, and generally do whatever is needed. If we can’t make our scheduled day, we are expected to find a replacement. The “leads” (kids with the most experience) train the younger kids. It’s a great program that instills work ethic and bring our show team much closer together. More lesson barns should have this kind of thing, bc there are kids out there who will work hard.
I hope you find leasers that are truly interested in horses, and everything that comes with them!

I love this! Sounds like a great program. Good for you for getting involved.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So true! Oh they are still out there but our generation grew up with Western films and TV shows. Horses were everywhere. Now, not so much.
Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, James Arnes... sigh.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts