The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I agree that if a video is put on a public website, it is a free for all for criticism, the recent epidemic of "bad horsemanship" videos that I have noticed being posted, just to get everyone riled up, are causing nothing but negativity... I don't see any constructive purpose being put into the threads that they are posted on...

I realize that everyone has a right to post these videos, I must ask, does it really go with the positive, constructive goal of the forum? I am not saying to ban them, but would it be possible to remind members that the videos posted should be for a positive and constructive purpose? Like instead of putting "isn't this terrible?" or "this makes me mad!", just putting, "what would you have done different?" or "what did they do wrong?", or something that makes the purpose something educational or enlightening, or anything other than a rant....

Do you get what I mean? I kind of had a difficult time articulating my meaning on this one for some reason, I could try to explain further if it was too confusing...

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I agree particularly when they are nothing terribly abusive.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't like the ones that are posted as terribly mean evil people, that just leave you there like "?????", those are my favorite.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I think the purpose of this forum is to learn. It is much better learning from others mistakes, than waiting to make the same ones yourself. If, by dissecting other people's mistakes, we can help stop others making the same mistake, we have saved a lot of suffering for both horse and rider, IMO.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree very much. But when a thread is created for no other purpose than negative criticism (like the recent "rearing horse" one) what are we learning? When they are posted just to post them w/o any intention of education? That is what I mean. I think it brings more negativity to the forum, and believe me we have enough of that w/o those videos.
*Or maybe we could just request that they be posted in the Horse Protection area? If their purpose is to bring to light abuse and poor riding, then that is where they belong IMO...

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I agree very much. But when a thread is created for no other purpose than negative criticism (like the recent "rearing horse" one) what are we learning?

The rearing horse video was started by a friend of hers, not someone wanting to flame the rider. She was, probably, posting it to show what a cool rider her friend was (assuming this from her defending the rider on youtube). The discussion, hopefully, showed her that her friend wasn't being so cool, in most of our opinions. I think that has a positive aspect.

When they are posted just to post them w/o any intention of education? That is what I mean. I think it brings more negativity to the forum, and believe me we have enough of that w/o those videos.
*Or maybe we could just request that they be posted in the Horse Protection area? If their purpose is to bring to light abuse and poor riding, then that is where they belong IMO...
I think these videos are akin to the critiques we see on most equestrian magazines.....this is good...this is bad. I proper learning tool, in my eye.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm sorry but I hate people who post those videos because you get people who re-post the same videos just to get more reaction.

Critiquing videos are fine but the rodeo, show circuit, racing cruelty videos really have no purpose other than showing everyone what they already knew was going on. As far as I can tell, people only post them to get reactions out of everyone else, not to educate.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
yes i agree with this. Although it wasnt in the video sub forum, i posted a picture for people to comment on and it just caused arguments and sour comments...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts