The Horse Forum banner

Rare and Endangered Breeds

7600 Views 14 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  kiltsrhott
I know we have a few rare/endangered breeds on here including the Mountain Pleasure Horse. These are my two:

My grulla roan mare Wakiya:

My perlino dun sabino stallion Coronado:

They are registered Spanish Barbs, aka Colonial Spanish Horses and are listed as threatened with the American Livestock Breed Conservancy (with some strains in danger of extinction) and critical with the Equus Survival Trust.

They are a hardy versatile breed that can excel in just about any discipline. There are members of the breed in the UK in show jumping, endurance horses winning awards in the AERC, many horses that work cows for a living, a few dabbling in dressage, some eventers, many doing therapy work and teaching kids to ride, many pleasure and trail horses and I plan to start my horses in working equitation. There just isn't a huge number of these horses and many people who have them don't show them for fear that the breed would be ruined due to modern fads.

Close relatives with some being double registered as Spanish Barbs are the California Vaquero Horse or sulphur horse and the registered Spanish Mustang. Other Colonial Spanish horses include the banker ponies, florida cracker horse, marsh tacky, choctaw horse and a few remaining feral strains such as the cerbat and mckinley/romero horses.

They come in every color and pattern including LP with the exception of the silver gene which has not been found in the breed. Common colors are grulla, dun, black, bay, sabino, buckskin and other cream derivatives. Many horses have multiple pattern genes.

Genetic disorders are extremely rare (a few isolated cases of DSLD, but non were SBHA registered) LWO is present, horses are generally healthy and have very good hooves and rarely need to be shod. A few will show gait, lateral and diagonal gaits are found.

So that's a wrap about my breed anyone else have a rare/endangered equine they'd like to showcase?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
723 Posts
Here in the UK we have the Rare Breeds Survival Trust, and on their watchlist, we have four critically endangered breeds - the Cleveland Bay, the Suffolk Punch, the Eriskay, and the Hackney.

Out of these, one of my favourites is the Cleveland Bay. They are gorgeous, and it's really sad to see the breed in a critical condition. They've been used for pretty much anything and everything since the 17th Century, and replaced the black Hanovarians in the Queens stables at one point, and are still used as her carriage horses.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
I love silver black horses, so for a while I always wanted a Black Forest horse. I don't have any pictures but just look them up, they are drafts like Norkeirs (sp?). Last time I checked theres less than 100 or so registered stallions left. I love their long flowing manes and their colouring :D

· Registered
975 Posts
The Akhal-Teke!

I absolutely love them! There are about 100 in Canada and a few more in the USA. I just got back to Saskatchewan from an internship at a breeder in BC. These horses stole my heart.

Super smart, beautiful, smooth to ride, etc, etc.

I really want a purebred or crossbred.

· Registered
162 Posts
Here in the UK we have the Rare Breeds Survival Trust, and on their watchlist, we have four critically endangered breeds - the Cleveland Bay, the Suffolk Punch, the Eriskay, and the Hackney.

Out of these, one of my favourites is the Cleveland Bay. They are gorgeous, and it's really sad to see the breed in a critical condition. They've been used for pretty much anything and everything since the 17th Century, and replaced the black Hanovarians in the Queens stables at one point, and are still used as her carriage horses.

The Cleveland Bay's are my favorite breed.
Posted via Mobile Device

· Registered
13,276 Posts
Canadian Horse

Well in Canada it's the Canadian Horse, Canada's National Horse. They went from endangered to rare in the last couple of years. They beautiful horse with incredible tempers and work ethics. I'm breaking a 2 yr old as we speak whos fully papered, microchipped and DNA tested, the whole works.

Here are some photos of the breed.

· Registered
515 Posts
The Akhal-Teke!

I absolutely love them! There are about 100 in Canada and a few more in the USA. I just got back to Saskatchewan from an internship at a breeder in BC. These horses stole my heart.

Super smart, beautiful, smooth to ride, etc, etc.

I really want a purebred or crossbred.

I ADORE tekes, they are my favorite breed. I doubt they're as endangered as some of the breeds listed here, luckily. Let alone here in Estonia we have about +50 of them. There's HUGE amounts of them in Russia and of course Asia, Turkmenistan etc. I read somewhere that there's around 4000 of them worldwide.

But they are becoming ever so popular these days, with their magic 'shiny coat' that more and more people want to own one. I don't see them becoming extinct in the near future :)

· Registered
1,061 Posts
My horse is only half Shire so she doesn't count but someday I would like to own a pure Shire. They are at "critical" levels according to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. The estimated global population of the breed is less than 2,000. It's sad such a beautiful and well-tempered breed is on the decline. Though I feel like many draft breeds are facing similar hardships due to the shrinking need for them in the farming and logging industry.

And here is my half-a-rare-breed mare (which ultimately makes her a grade and not really rare at all).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.