The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare was bred, confirmed in foal 14 days later, and absorbed it around day 26 approximately. Im rebreeding her, my repro vet has her on regumate. Not sure if its longer term or short term, havent talked to her about it yet, the stallion's owner has suggested giving her raspberry leaves starting now.

I reached out to my regular vet about it, and she hasnt heard of it being used for pregnant/breeding mares, only on moody mares to help with moodiness. Havent asked my repro vet about it yet, but was wondering if anyone has used it on their bred mares by chance?

From a quick google search, it looks like a lot of people use it on day 320 of pregnancy to help with the labor/birthing process but thats all I can seem to find on it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I have only heard of the raspberry being used on pregnant mares. I've only heard of it being used for the moodiness.

I only know people who have used regumate for the moody mares as well - although I do know that it can be used for helping a mare maintain a pregnancy....

Can't really help but interested to see what people say.

Reactions: csimkunas6

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
I've had elderly mares that we kept on either Raspberry leaves or Magnesium full time. Never took them off. Had problems with getting them to catch and settle, had to use Regumate for extended periods (ouch to the pocket book) until we started with the Raspberry leaves. After that we kept them on Regumate for about 60 days if I remember right. It did seem to help them get in foal and keep in foal. None of the mares I used it on had troubles with foaling out.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had elderly mares that we kept on either Raspberry leaves or Magnesium full time. Never took them off. Had problems with getting them to catch and settle, had to use Regumate for extended periods (ouch to the pocket book) until we started with the Raspberry leaves. After that we kept them on Regumate for about 60 days if I remember right. It did seem to help them get in foal and keep in foal. None of the mares I used it on had troubles with foaling out.
Interesting! So in your opinion is it something I should use? Vet wants to run a progesterone test on Day 14 if shes in foal at that ultrasound although shes not completely convinced it was absorbed due to hormones, she believes there was a defect but said we'd start progesterone to be on the safe side. Not really looking forward to seeing my vet bill next week.....raspberry leaves seem to be pretty cheap from what Ive found.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Interesting! So in your opinion is it something I should use? Vet wants to run a progesterone test on Day 14 if shes in foal at that ultrasound although shes not completely convinced it was absorbed due to hormones, she believes there was a defect but said we'd start progesterone to be on the safe side. Not really looking forward to seeing my vet bill next week.....raspberry leaves seem to be pretty cheap from what Ive found.
The thing about Raspberry leaves and Magnesium (the leaves are high in Mg but not consistent like 500 mg per scoop of the Mg) is that they won't hurt and might help. The mares I used them on were in their 20s and had been foaling consistently for years and then, as older mares tend to do, started either not catching or they'd get pregnant and then they'd resorb or abort at a certain point. It was a LOT cheaper to keep them on either the Raspberry leaves or Magnesium than it was to keep them on Regumate for 9 or 10 months, and if it worked, it made it possible to keep those lovely old blood girls in foal and to get nice healthy foals for them to love on, without health issues or breaking the bank. For the mares who needed Regumate, we used it, and back then it was around $5/day, IIRC, so for 60 days was $300. Add 7 more mos of it and you had a significant amount of money. So anything that helped cut down the time on Regumate, and reduced my exposure to it (nasty stuff), was a bonus.

Straight Raspberry leaves are about $13/lb vs Mare Magic at $13/ 1/2 lb and none of the extra stuff that's in MM.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Red Raspberry Leaf tea is a thing for women. Like alfalfa it has a good mineral balance and trace minerals. Magnesium is a big part of that and helps with all kinds of things. It is also estrogenic in effect. Helps with birthing as well. I can't imagine it would be different for horses. Its one of those things that I would ask about though if they are on other meds like regumate. As Dreamcatcher is familiar with its use I'd see if there are others that have also used with no ill effect.

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
As already said - its the magnesium that helps - and it does work.

I've found that a magnesium supplement successfully replaced the Regumate used to settle two very (differently affected) hormonal mares.

The problem with raspberry leaves is that the dose can't be refined because the magnesium content can differ a lot depending on where grown and when harvested.

If you buy magnesium as a supplement you get a guaranteed daily serving amount
I use this brand

https://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/...term=4582695753606131&utm_content=SC Shopping

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies! Just talked to my repro vet this morning, they want to keep her on regumate for 150 days, itll cost me around $250 according to the vet, so Im fine with that. If the breeding doesnt take this go around, Ill look more into the raspberry leaves and magnesium supplement.

Thanks again for all the replies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts