The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
I don't think "cheap" and horses go together....
Quality products cost, period.

Most any large manufacturer of horse feed has their own "balancer" in their line of product. You may not see it, or you do see it and don't realize what it actually is...
Some are better than others, some meet your needs better depending upon what is deficient in your diet, or with your hay or pasture.
Some are available everywhere and some are local availability only...
Here are a few to get you started....
Empower Balance Ration Balancer Horse Feed by Nutrena
https://www.triplecrownfeed.com/products/supplements/equinesupplement30percent-equine-supplement/
Enrich Plus ration balancing feed l Purina Mills
Ration Balancers Horse Feed

:runninghorse2:...
jmo..

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Most ration balancers are pretty inexpensive when you consider the cost per day, even if the cost per bag seems high. At my feed store, a 50 lb bag of Triple Crown 30% Supplement is $32. At 1 lb per day (the recommended rate for a 1000 lb horse) that's $0.64 per day. It's cheaper than many of the low dose vitamin/mineral supplements out there while providing, in many cases, more nutrition.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: BearPony

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found a few.

Essential K and Triple Crown 30.

Someone suggested Buckeye Gro N Win.

Just looking for more options.

Not saying dirt cheap, just not $100 for a 30 pound bag. Lol

What I've found has been about a $1 per pound.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Just about any ration balancer is going to be less expensive or about the same price as a "regular bag of grain". I just switched my mare to triple crown 30%, which I knew I should have done from the beginning. I picked it because she has notoriously crappy hooves and hair and the TC had added biotin. It's more expensive for the bag but my mare is eating 1/3 as much now!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
373 Posts
Purina Enrich is the least expensive in my area and I use it or Essential K (basically whichever my feed store has in stock) pretty much interchangeably - I will mix the new bag w/ what is left of the old bag for my easy keepers.

However, the price difference between the Enrich and the Essential K is about $1 per 50 pound bag, so I don't stress about it.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Triple Crown 30%

The thing about ration balancers is that they're not cheap up front. But when you do the math, and compare daily cost of feeding 1 lb of a balancer with 5-6 lbs of a feed the balancer comes out cheaper. If you have an easy keeper that needs vit/min/protein supplementation it's the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.