The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recommendations for ration balancers?One of my horses is on empower topline balance but I am interested in what others use as I’m considering switching

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I have used Omegatin

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 9.19.45 AM.jpg

for my Pecheron due to the high fat content (20%), but currently I use Triple Crown 30%

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 9.22.20 AM.jpg

for my Haflinger, as he gains weight easily and I want to give the most nutritional bang for his calorie buck. Currently he is not on any ration balancer as I am concerned about him gaining too much weight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used that for awhile, I switched to Seminole Equalizer. Its a little more expensive, but seems to work a little better for my guys

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
It depends what you are trying to accomplish.

My horses are easy keepers and retired trail horses. They don’t need the extra calories that any ration balancer on the market contains.

I feed a condensed vit/min supplement from HorseTech and mix it in one cup of Timothy pellets.

I would feed this even if I were still hard trail riding as they have 20+ acres of pasture.

However, that may not be sufficient for event horses that are worked hard several days a week:)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I agree with @walkinthewalk Why do you consider switching?

My mare is an easy keeper that doesn't need the extra calories from a ration balancer, as she has enough pasture to sustain her year round. Thus I am feeding a condensed vitamin/mineral mix from smartpak.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I feed a supplement made up by Horse Tech. Made to meet all my horses vit/min requirements. It's granules that I mix with soaked Alfalfa cubes.

Just bought a 132 lb container so good for a year or so. I don't do ration balances most have added iron which most horses don't need.

·
Registered
371 Posts
We feed 1 lb of Triple Crown 30% Ration Balancer and our four easy keepers are always super healthy, with shiny coats, hard hooves and healthy guts. If you compare labels, it gives you the highest concentration of micronutrients. I also like that it has pro- and prebiotics for gut health.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
I use Purina Enrich. I used to use Empower but my horses weren't crazy about it, frequently left it in their buckets and they were losing weight. Purina Enrich Plus seems to agree with them, they eat it all, like it very well and nobody is thin. My choices locally tend to be Nutrena, which my horses don't care for, Dumor which makes them lose weight and they're not crazy about the flavor and Purina. Of the 3, Purina works best for them.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I've just started using the Purina Enrich. The hay quality isn't as good as what we normally get so I wanted to add some nutrients to their diet. Cost wise I think it is cheaper than most vitamin/mineral supplements.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
The only ones available locally for us are Purina Enrich and Nutrena Empower. The horses look better on Enrich, but it's not always available.

The HorseTech one is great, but a powder so you have to feed something to carry it-- a bit of grain or hay pellets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts