The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So my run in was built recently and it has plywood as kick-board walls up to 4 foot high. I come to find out that mice and rats have made a home behind those walls. I am thinking of just taking the walls down. What does everyone with a run in do to keep that from happening? Should I just keep the kick-boards off or is there something else I could do?

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Leave the kick boards up whatever route you decide to go. You can poison, trap or get barn cats. We have barn cats and they do their job well. The mice have to come out sooner or later for food and water. Our cats like to prove to us what awesome hunters they are by leaving mouse guts laying everywhere. YUCK!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I second keeping the kickboards and depending on where they are in the barn either trap or poison. Be cautious of what you use though to keep your other farm animals safe!

·
104 Posts
Get a barn cat or two, they’re the best. We haven’t seen a single live mouse in the barn since getting Spidey and Hades 10 years ago, heck Hades even moved into the chicken coop and takes care of the mice in there.
FBDC0F11-3815-4F2B-BF6C-2C003FFD1DEB.jpeg

Here are the burglar bros, Spidey is the one on the right and Hades is on the left.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Ditto, do not take the kick board down. I laid my last kitty to rest this summer. At my age, I don’t want anymore so I use TomCat brand bait boxes.

We buy ours at Lowe’s but Walmart might carry them.

They work quickly and the deceased don’t leave much of an odor.

I use the rat boxes at the barn and mouse boxes in the garage & house.

Reactions: Kalraii

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leave the kick boards up whatever route you decide to go. You can poison, trap or get barn cats. We have barn cats and they do their job well. The mice have to come out sooner or later for food and water. Our cats like to prove to us what awesome hunters they are by leaving mouse guts laying everywhere. YUCK!
I can’t get cats my dogs will kill them. My neighbor has 3 barn cats she acquired recently so all the mice and rats she had came over to my property, lol. I saw her cat going inside my run in yesterday through my camera but it can’t get back there. ☹

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I second keeping the kickboards and depending on where they are in the barn either trap or poison. Be cautious of what you use though to keep your other farm animals safe!
I bought a multiple rat trap but I think they just jump over it lol. Poison I’m scared to buy because I can’t really tell what is really safe not only for my animals but for the neighbors cats and birds of prey.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Poison I’m scared to buy because I can’t really tell what is really safe not only for my animals but for the neighbors cats and birds of prey.
No rat/mouse poison is safe for predators (cats, your dog, birds of prey). Especially with rat poison that is designed to work after a certain delay, you can be sure to kill everything up the food chain as well. And they don't just drop dead - it is a long, agonizing process.
If you can't have cats because of your dog - how much of a hunter is your dog?

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
I bought a multiple rat trap but I think they just jump over it lol. Poison I’m scared to buy because I can’t really tell what is really safe not only for my animals but for the neighbors cats and birds of prey.
I have had Tom Cat baits in my barn for two years. I put them where the rodents travel, but in the out of the way places. This stuff seems to hit the rodents really quick, so they die stuck in the bait trap or under the shavings pallet.

I have feral cats and my one of my neighbor’s cats coming into the barn to eat cat food ever since I put my last barn kitty to rest a few years back. I always see the same cats on my game camera, to this day.

I do t like killing anything or seeing it suffer —- HOWEVER, I do not want to be overrun by rodents who might carry the Hanta Virus, which was big deal when I moved to SoCal in 1998 and spent five years there.

I am sorry, it’s them Ir me and they lose if they get in my space——

Rodents produce faster than rabbits- when you get over run by them at the barn and they start making their way to your house, you will second think yourself on the concerns:)

We tried the traps - the bait was always gone but nobody was ever in the sprung traps. That’s how we came to use these TomCat bait boxes. The mouse baits are small enough to put them behind the kick boards as long as you are careful to put them down in with the opening so the rodents can get in. You might even drill a hole in the container and run a hay twine thru it so you can pull the trap back up - with or without the dead rode t:):)

Reactions: Kalraii

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No rat/mouse poison is safe for predators (cats, your dog, birds of prey). Especially with rat poison that is designed to work after a certain delay, you can be sure to kill everything up the food chain as well. And they don't just drop dead - it is a long, agonizing process.
If you can't have cats because of your dog - how much of a hunter is your dog?
Oh he kills everything including the lizards and tried to kill a gopher tortoise but I took away and relocated it past the fence. I actually trapped 3 mice and he went crazy trying to get inside to get them. I guess my best bet will be to keep using the traps. Cause I will not use poison. Thank you for your reply.

·
Banned
742 Posts
If anyone does use poison I'd be careful if you have cats around since they could get it from a poisoned mouse or rat.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Snakes. We always have a rat snake in residence. And chickens. We have a few that are better mouses than the cat.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Poison will affect the entire ecosystem, up the food chain. Generally people do not care, but you surely should. Trapping in my experience needs persistence and trial and error to figure out, using knowledge of the habits of the animal you are aiming to trap.

If your dog will kill rodents, you can use him, but dogs have a different m.o. than cats. They aren't going to sit at an entrance in a predatory trance, just waiting for one mouse. What the pros do who exterminate rats (it's usually rats) with dogs, is they figure out all the rodent exits, and where they are nesting. Then they block those exits, open up the rat runways, and it's all over in minutes. Dogs grab, shake to kill, drop, and go for the next one like lightning. There was a guy who worked near me in California, he had a team of three rat terriers and would pose them with the day's kill, which might be 200 - 400 rats from one session. Impressive. But if you don't block the rodents from leaving you may as well not do it at all.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Could you just raise or trim your plywood to be eight or so inches above the ground?

That’s still low enough to protect against kicks to the wall but takes away the sheltered space the rodents are using.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could you just raise or trim your plywood to be eight or so inches above the ground?

That’s still low enough to protect against kicks to the wall but takes away the sheltered space the rodents are using.
I suppose I could do that, you don’t think horses can inadvertently stick a hoof under it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can never say never with horses but it’s pretty unlikely.
Even if they roll in there, end up that close to the wall and straighten their leg it can only go the four inches to the outer wall. The space should be high enough they don’t get caught if all that happened.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can never say never with horses but it’s pretty unlikely.
Even if they roll in there, end up that close to the wall and straighten their leg it can only go the four inches to the outer wall. The space should be high enough they don’t get caught if all that happened.
Plus their hooves are the size of dinner plates, they are Shires. Thanks again 😊

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I vote barn cats

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I vote barn cats
I love cats and I would have them in a heartbeat but can’t because my dogs will kill them. Even though they are indoor dogs but when I let them out cats will come to front of house and that’s when it will happen. And I can’t let that happen, so no cats for me at this time. My neighbors cats come over here all the time and have been chased quite a few times. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts