The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My favorite book ever is Gone With the Wind, but I'll read anything except fantasy. Others I enjoyed are Black Beauty, Animal Farm, The Call of the Wild... The list goes on.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I can't stand books about animals. One of them usually dies and that just makes me sad :( I'm a little weird lol. Anyway I don't think you would like anything I've read as we seem to have very different tastes in books. I don't know if you've done this but if you go on amazon.com you can put in books that you like and it will give you recomendations based on that. It usually comes up with some good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
22,681 Posts
Have you read Nicholas Evans' books? I think he's a wonderful writer. He wrote for example The Horse Whisperer.

I read also medical thrillers if you're interested in literature like this. Those books often tell about a some kind of medical crime which the protagonist of the book tries to solve. For example Robin Cook, Michael Palmer and Tess Gerritsen write books like this. My personal favorite is Robin Cook's Toxin.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I just read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. It was really good but incredibly sad with a happily-ever-after ending. I also read Water For Elephants, HIGHLY recommend this one GOOD GOOD read. Loved it. I read The Truth About Horses, Friends & My Life as a Coward, it was pretty funny.

There is a series called the DeGranville Trilogy. With Blood Red Horse, I really liked the first book but not so much the second. Haven't read the last one yet.

I'm an avid ready. I devour books and I read anything. If you are really bored I could e-mail you the first 40 or so pages of the book I've been writing and you can tell me what you think ; ).

·
Registered
879 Posts
If you can get hold of them then James Herriot's books are really good, really funny as well.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
if you like reading horse books, dick francis & lyndon stacy are both great writers !

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
The last lecture by Randy Pausch. A book you will finish reading in tears. Awesome read!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Google-ing suggested authors as we type... :D

I'm an avid ready. I devour books and I read anything. If you are really bored I could e-mail you the first 40 or so pages of the book I've been writing and you can tell me what you think ; ).

I would love to read your book! :D What's it about?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Watch the whole lecture on youtube. It is probably one of the most touching things I have ever seen. He also does a lecture on time management that is really good. You haven't learned about time management until you learn about it from someone with terminal cancer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try "the Loop" by the same author of "The Horse whisperer". Right now I'm reading "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" It is very good! Has a lot of dogs in the story line and was on Oprah's book club. I read a lot! I could go on and on about great reads!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just to throw in my opinion, I disliked The Horse Whisperer. If you like the classics, I enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, The Poisonwood Bible, and When the Legends Die. I still love The Secret Garden.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Watch the whole lecture on youtube. It is probably one of the most touching things I have ever seen. He also does a lecture on time management that is really good. You haven't learned about time management until you learn about it from someone with terminal cancer.
I finished reading the last 3 chapters of his book and through an entire roll of toilet paper. He was a very humble man.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hmm. I just finished Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I really enjoyed that one. Most of it's set in 18th century Scotland so you get some horsey stuff thrown in there :)

And anything by Christopher Moore! His books are hilarious. You Suck and Lamb are my personal favorites.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I will second the James Harriot books. Absolutly love his stories, some will have you crying, some rolling on the floor about to pee your pants. I just bought my MIL a new set for Christmas, Hers were so gone through from being read so many times.

Right now I'm reading Seabiscuit. Pretty good. More of a documentary of the times.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.