The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So took pics from all 4 of Dukes feet. What are they telling you? Last trim was July 3 (so 4weeks today). We’ve been have hot, humid weather with frequent rain. The farrier says all the horses are growing their feet like mad. His next trim is scheduled 2 weeks from now.

He has been diagnosed with ring bone in the left front.

I've been reading the ‘Natural Barefoot Trimming the Hoof Guided Method’ by Maureen Tierney.

So tell me what what you think. Specifically about heels (do they seem contracted?). Frog, is it too narrow? Toe length? Symmetry? General shape of the hooves?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pic 5 (where the red hood pic is visible) is mislabeled. Its front right

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took a rasp to the toes on all four feet, since they were getting long. And now it’s a beveled edge. So should be easier to break over and not tear at the rest of the hoof. Pictured are the front two

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
1. Those look a lot better (post #3) :)

2. Also keep the bars cut down. You don’t want them to fold over. There are varying opinions but I have always kept them cut level with the sole or just a tch higher than the sole, and never had any issues.

3. It could be the camera but thrush looks like it might want to take hold on the central sulci of a couple of hooves. Maybe out some Thrush Buster on it before it takes a good hold and the Thrush Buster won’t work.

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
You have to keep your rasp flat, learning curve, I Know! He has a decent hoof but he needs a balanced trim to tighten up his hoof wall to the sole. You'll know when he is balanced, his frog will be straight again, see how it veers off in the last pic? The last trim I did on one of mine before he was shod, same thing. After I consulted with my rehab farrier buddy, she showed me how to correct it. Was straight within the week, still straight under shoes .

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I need to get some thrush buster next time I go out. He’s got pretty flat feet so we normally leave some bar height. I only do the toe the rest the farrier can do. Don’t want to mess up the feet.

What do you mean by holding the rasp straight? The bevel was done on purpose to make the break over easier. So that’s why it’s angled at a 45 degree. The farrier does that too. But the hoof already grew it out in just 4 weeks. unless you mean to rasp a little more straight, so it’s even

yes where the frog is not straight.He wears his feet unevenly as walks abs stands like a bulldog with his foot coming to a narrow stance. I can see in that last full pic that the bars closer to the heel are uneven.
Really hoping once the track is set up that he’ll go through a lot more wear and tear and even out some of the irregularities just by wear and the farrier can correct whatever the ground doesn’t

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
In the before pictures, his frog is thin and narrow. His heels are too long and are preventing the frog from engaging the ground. Toes are too long.

After pictures. You rasped down the hoof wall at the toe but left the length- you need to round the hoof from the top and use your rasp at a 45 degree angle to get a rounder front of the hoof and help with break over. The hooves should be smoothed all the way around so there are no apparent chips or jagged edges. @loosie is good at mark ups. But I trim my own and have for years and this is what I see

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
If trim is balanced, the break over is there, you don't need to create a false one. Trimming bars allows the hoof to expand at the heels, thus allowing for a large ground surface. Bars are part of the hoof, they grow and need to be trimmed. They even grow inside and have caused heel irritation as found in dissected hooves. Learned this from a rehab farrier, she gives clinics and brings cadaver hooves for everyone to work on.

Reactions: DanisMom and loosie
1 - 8 of 8 Posts