The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am looking for advice from experienced equestrians. I have been looking into getting a horse for about a year now, and would like to have insight if I am ready or not. I am 23 years old, have a full time job, usually 12 hours a day, sometimes 8. I live on my own land in the country, have plenty of space for a barn, fence, supplies, etc. Also have plenty of space for trail rides. I have grown up with horses and several of my family members and neighbors own horses. I also have a pretty penny squared away for purchasing everything. We have friendly dogs and cats as well for companionship if it is a loner. The only thing I am not sure about is that I usually work nightshift. Sometimes dayshift and afternoon but usually night from 7p to 7a. Would I have adequate time to feed, exercise, pick the field, etc.? I would also not be opposed to purchasing a mini or Shetland. Any insight is very helpful!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hello! I am looking for advice from experienced equestrians. I have been looking into getting a horse for about a year now, and would like to have insight if I am ready or not. I am 23 years old, have a full time job, usually 12 hours a day, sometimes 8. I live on my own land in the country, have plenty of space for a barn, fence, supplies, etc. Also have plenty of space for trail rides. I have grown up with horses and several of my family members and neighbors own horses. I also have a pretty penny squared away for purchasing everything. We have friendly dogs and cats as well for companionship if it is a loner. The only thing I am not sure about is that I usually work nightshift. Sometimes dayshift and afternoon but usually night from 7p to 7a. Would I have adequate time to feed, exercise, pick the field, etc.? I would also not be opposed to purchasing a mini or Shetland. Any insight is very helpful!

I would say having a single horse + dogs does not provide enough companionship or the "right" companionship - another equine or livestock animal would be a must in my eyes.

7p-7a doesn't bother me one bit - you could feed dinner right before you go to work, and feed breakfast right when you get home. Shower, sleep, and wake up to enjoy your horse in the afternoon!

Do you have the budget for routine farrier/dentistry/veterinary care/etc, and then an emergency savings account for emergencies? Do you know someone with a truck/trailer in case you ever have to drive to the vet?

I'm 23 and I currently own two horses, but you are a step ahead of me already owning land that can hold horses - I am jealous! I work 40 hours a week, 8a-5p, but am living paycheck to paycheck as I pay off student loans - I don't see why you couldn't make it work, and I think you fit the "responsible, ready owner" mold much better than I do currently. I'd start considering where to put up pasture fences, a run-in, and hay storage, and then go from there.

·
Registered
49,439 Posts
I agree that buying one horse , if he cannot have others at least within sight , is not a good idea.

But, given your obvious maturity, and hard working nature, I feel confident you'll work it out for the best.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
You're 3 years younger than me and MUCH more financially secure. I own two large Thoroughbreds, and one in particular is obscenely expensive to keep because she's in love with the vet.

If you can cover large emergency vet expenses OR insurance to cover the same, and you can put in fencing appropriate for your horse, then by all means get a horse.

My mare can be in a paddock with my gelding, but NEVER another mare, because she gets dangerously herd bound to mares but is fine with my gelding. When I only owned the one horse, she was always paddocked alone because the alternative was for her to be dangerous.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A full size horse and a mini horse friend would be good, or a goat. To contain a goat you need some REAL FENCES, although they produce milk and are hilarous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much for the help! My aunt that lives next to me used to own goats, so I'm sure she would love to see some running around again for companionship. As for farrier/vet cost, I have worked with a lovely vet that does large farm animals before and I think she would be perfect. Trailer would be no problem, we have one just down the hill we could borrow. If not, I could borrow my grandpa's he uses for his farm animals. Still looking into a farrier though. I will have to ask my neighbors who they use. 🙂

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Would you be open to fostering horses for a charity? That way you get a companion for your horse without some of the pitfalls of ownership. Mind you, I have fostered dogs and I always become a failed foster, adopted them all.

You sound in a very good position to buy a horse.
Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts