The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been paying attention to the recent drama surrounding the AQHA and “inappropriate names”? The more I deal with the AQHA and have friends and know people that deal with the association, the more put off I am by it. Taking months, even years to get back papers. Taking forever to get tests done. You can’t ever get them on the phone either. Then this drama all happens.

Honestly I’ve already begun looking at the APHA for future prospects for when I’m at a better place in life. At least for cowhorse prospects, I can generally find a cheaper price tag for a well bred horse. Plus I’ve heard the APHA is soooo much easier to deal with.

Has anyone else on the forum been having these issues or know of them?

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
I haven't seen or heard anything on it. What do you mean inappropriate?

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I haven't seen or heard anything about inappropriate names but I'm out of the loop.

I have been frustrated with the website update and the increased fees. Last year when I transferred papers it only took a couple of weeks. But I think someone posted about the backup of paperwork in the AQHA office some time back, supposedly they were going to hire more staff to get caught up.

Reactions: ChieTheRider

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Yea, huge bruhaha going on. Was started from what I understand when a lady paid to reserve a name months ago. Foal was born and she sent in her registration papers and they rejected it as inappropriate. They did not refund her reservation $$. The name was Good Sum Mitch.

Since then (which has only been about a week) AQHA has rejected many names playing on “Mitch”. None are truly inappropriate IMO. There are far worse ones out there (I know of one who’s registered name is AKitty Twister).

This has sparked all the frustration members have had on delayed registration papers, delayed transferred papers, higher fees, less services, website debacle, etc. Delays are anywhere from 6 months or more. And it’s growing.

I have not had any reason to interact with the AQHA lately & all the reports have me avoiding them. Hopefully it is all cleared up when I breed Pi next year & have to start sending in paperwork.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
If they allowed Peanuts NV, they have nothing to say.... the 'whiz' names were bad enough, lol.

I see a lot of weanlings and yearlings for sale with 'should have papers, but we're tired of waiting for them so he sells at a discount as grade; if we ever get them we'll forward them to you' in the advertisement. On the other hand, a friend sent in a transfer for her new mare a couple of months ago and had it back in two weeks. So it seems some paperwork is taking forever, others is not.

·
Registered
971 Posts
How long are transfers taking? I have three I want to transferred into my name and I really don't want to wait forever to have it done.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
How long are transfers taking? I have three I want to transferred into my name and I really don't want to wait forever to have it done.
I have heard anywhere from a couple of weeks to people waiting months & still waiting after 6 months. Luck of the draw.

I think the names are fun and makes them memorable!
It's hard enough to come up with a clever name with a lot of horses being bred similarly let alone with the AQHA becoming name nazis.
I agree! I think what touched the nerve of the Membership
Is that AQHA is spending time on this issue instead the bigger issues. 🤷*♀

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
AQHA was really fast for me and I had no naming issues but I wasn't trying to make a play on PG-13 words. FQHA took me well over 6 months to get my papers and I think they made up a name for me. It's close to what I wanted.

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.