The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In early September, my husband and I are taking a road trip from Albuquerque to Phoenix. We're planning to head south down to El Paso and then cut over through Tuscon along the way. We have a few hotels booked but generally don't have firm plans for things to do (well, my husband is committed to going alien hunting for an afternoon :cool:).

Can anyone recommend a guided trail ride option somewhere along the way? I'd love to find a place where the horses are happy in their jobs that would allow us to see the scenery. I'd be most interested in something on the longer side, like a half day ride or at least something that would have us out for a few hours, though I'm not sure how realistic that is given the heat at this time of year. My husband hasn't ridden in probably 10 years so I'd be looking for something beginner friendly- or, if there's a great place that I shouldn't miss myself for a more "exciting" ride, that would be fine if there was something else for my husband to do while I was out riding (e.g., biking or something else outdoors).

Anything come to mind? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Yeah, it's been a terrible August, at least here in Texas, and I hear in NM as well. In early September this year, in Texas, I'd expect highs in the upper nineties and possibly still around 100. You'd want to go in the morning, but if you can handle temps up to 90 you should be able to get a few hours in. In West Texas it should be more of a dry heat, too, so that's more bearable.

When you mention aliens, do you mean in New Mexico or in Texas (Marfa)? If you were already in Marfa, you might swing a little bit further east, to Bandera. There's a lot of horse riding out there. I've been eyeing this place for their cattle sorting clinic, but they do all sorts of stuff. They're right next to a huge state natural area, but they have enough land that I think you could just stay there and be happy:

Team Sorting Clinic - Hill Country Equestrian Lodge - Bandera, Texas

But lots of stuff in Bandera.

If you don't know about the "aliens" in Marfa, I'd look into that. Marfa is a really unique little place, or it was when I was out there 20 years ago. Like "Northern Exposure" but in Texas.

Reactions: egrogan

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
RFDTV bought Don Imus' 3000 acre ranch in NM. Imus had used it as a retreat for children with cancer and other serious diseases.

Patrick Goetsch (sp) the owner of RFDTV, has turned it into a recreational retreat. Probably pricey but it would be an unforgettable memory.

I think one of Roy Rogers Triggers (there were two) and some other Roy Rogers memorabilia have been moved there, that Mr. Goetsch had purchased from the Roy Rogers museum in Apple Valley, CA when it closed down.

It is in Sarafina, NM, if that is close to your travel path:)

https://www.rfdtvtheranch.com/about-the-imus-ranch

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
It could easily be 110F down in Phoenix/Tucson area in early September. (I wouldn't personally do a 1/2 day ride in the summer if you paid me. And I was born in there!)

However, I am a wuss when it comes to heat. And, there is always the remote possibility you will get some clouds if the monsoon ever picked back up.

I am in northeastern Arizona and it has been hitting 90F every day lately......that is pretty much as hot as it gets up here in the mountains. The deserts........gosh, I shudder to think.

Still, I'm sure you could get in an early morning or late evening ride somewhere. That's what I do up in the mountains and what I did when I lived in the desert.

Other option......if you hit a nice place in the mountains on your way to the desert and they have a place to trail ride, do that.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could easily be 110F down in Phoenix/Tucson area in early September. (I wouldn't personally do a 1/2 day ride in the summer if you paid me. And I was born in there!)

However, I am a wuss when it comes to heat.
Hahahaha, I'm from VERMONT! I am uncomfortable when it's 80*F :rofl:
I sort of figured the heat would be a problem but appreciate the confirmation!

If you don't know about the "aliens" in Marfa, I'd look into that. Marfa is a really unique little place, or it was when I was out there 20 years ago. Like "Northern Exposure" but in Texas.
We want the all-in, tourista Roswell experience. But, Marfa is also part of our plan!

It is in Sarafina, NM, if that is close to your travel path:)

https://www.rfdtvtheranch.com/about-the-imus-ranch
I will look it up, thanks!

Hmmm...this isn't sounding very promising because of the heat. I just can't shake the feeling though that I'm missing out on an opportunity I wouldn't have again any time soon. How early is "morning riding" when it's still "comfortable?" I wonder if places would even be open early enough...

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Early would be probably before 8 am. Like earlier the better! 6am would be nice, lol! You can ask some of those places what time they open. I would bet they open around sunup because if they wait until later they will have very little business until late evening.

Are you guys going through northern Arizona at all? Like Flagstaff or Show Low? Those are higher altitudes and cooler weather. Like around 90 is generally the max.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Early would be probably before 8 am. Like earlier the better! 6am would be nice, lol! You can ask some of those places what time they open. I would bet they open around sunup because if they wait until later they will have very little business until late evening.

Are you guys going through northern Arizona at all? Like Flagstaff or Show Low? Those are higher altitudes and cooler weather. Like around 90 is generally the max.
^^^This, lollol

When I lived in SoCal's Low desert, we left on our short neighborhood Sunday morning rides no later than 8:00 AM.

The more serious and longer rides pulled out anywhere between 5:00 AM and 6:00 AM, There were a lot less people in those rides, lollol

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I'm giving advanced permission for all the Arizonans, Texans, and other desert dwellers to say "I told you so..." if we come back with heat stroke, but that said, I just booked a ride at a stable about 30 minutes north of where we're staying near Albuquerque. Their morning ride leaves at 9am, so definitely later than your recommendations. I did read a bunch of online reviews (for whatever those are worth! :wink:) and filtered to read just from people who went in September, and no one mentioned melting. The reviews did mention the attentive guides and care taken with beginners, so I felt like it would be a decent place to go with my husband even if it's moseying kind of ride (given the heat, that's probably better!).

This is the place- The Stables at Tamaya, which is a nonprofit facility that does rescue work and is affiliated with the Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort and Spa. I know it can be a bit of a gamble going to a public guided ride place, and not sure what to make of them using rescues on their string, but I'm going to trust the reviews are generally representative and hope to have a good time! Will report back later in September.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Yes, lots of water, and a hat / brim. Also you might want to wear lightweight long sleeves / pants rather than short sleeves. If it gets hot and it's a dry heat, you can dump some water on your clothes and cool yourself off.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.