The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I’m looking for conformation critique in this 3 year old Quarter Horse mare that would be a trail horse only. I want to know if she could possible stand up to trails and camping, or if there’s something about her, legs, back..etc that would make her a poor choice for a trail pleasure horse. Thanks for all your insight. Sorry the pictures are sideways, not sue how to fix that.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
She sure is a cutey!
I don't really have anything to say on her conformation. I don't see anything that screams. I'm not sure how much conformation really matters unless you are doing something really physical, there are other things wrong with the horse, or it's for a show.

Are you going to "pack mule" her and ride or just ride and carry smalls, such as a tent?

When you say trail riding, do you mean trail, trail riding or endurance trail riding - where you are trotting for fifty miles (eighty km) and climbing hills? A lot of horses do perfectly fine doing casual trail riding/camping (and many even enjoy it) even though they don't have "ideal" conformation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All in all she looks great. She probably is just resting her back left leg but just in case check it for any swelling and pain.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Could you take pictures where you are standing "square" to the horse?
Directly opposite her so her entire body is shown no angles...
Your pictures taken on the angle distort her build...

If you want a real critique, then front & rear pictures also need done along with the side views.
If the tail is long, thick and flowing either knot it {carefully} or have someone gently hold it out of the way so leg placement is better seen.

What kind of trail riding are you referring to?
Just easy trails where you go out and ride a few hours on gentle terrain or are you referring to endurance type riding and extreme trails where mountain climbing, steep incline and rugged ground is encountered...
That makes a huge difference in the kind of horse you need to do those activities often...
What kind of mind does the horse have?
Camping by me we picket line, tie to trailer side or hobble our horses at night when we camp.
Most places do not offer corrals or stalls...
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m looking to do some light camping and light trails. I’d love to do a small endurence ride, but there are none in my area. She is a very calm horse,but a thinker. Stubborn, but not horribly stubborn, just wants to see if your going to follow through with what your asking. So I guess more of a “pack mule” type of ride.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
By no means putting your horse down...but with what you describe just about any horse can do that kind of job "trail-riding".
Your mare is absolutely built she can do the kind of job you described.

The fact she is a thinker to me makes her a perfect partner.
I would personally far rather a thinker than one who is a reactor and runs/bolts or is a basket case from anything different encountered.
Stubborn...she may be a totally different animal on trails than in a ring...
Ride her and see how she is...
Ride alone, ride in a group in any position from leader to follower, ride her with then take her away from the group and see how she handles that...
What she does, how she reacts is more important than how she is built...her mind.
You want a sound, decently built body but you must have a exceptional mind on a good trail horse. jmo.

My horse is a fantastic trail horse, one I depend on keeping me safe and getting my bacon out of trouble if I get us in it...
In a ring he is not happy, a little sullen and balky...but does his job.
Take him to the trails and his disposition is completely different...willing, happy, ears forward & very alert, free forward movement but very easily rated and controlled.
A fantastic trail horse...one I will never sell and I have been offered large sums of $$ for him...no sale.
I could never replace him in a million years, he knows it and so do I.

I hope this mare is that kind of trail partner for you...fun to ride but serious about her job and keeping all safe while doing it.
Enjoy.:cool:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
She looks very typey. nice balanced body, but she is still physically immature. She will broaden out and change some for next two years. I like her looks, given what I can see, No obvious faults. Cute as a button, too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your insight, Horseluvinguy, by no means did I think you were putting my horse down, and I thank you for your opinion. I was just hoping I didn’t miss anything conformation wise when I went to go look at her. She comes home in 5 weeks? Just looked at my calendar. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Those sideways pics make it hard to really look her over and she's not standing square, so the couple of issues I see could be a fault of the pics, not necessarily all on the horse. She could be resting her left hind but since she's got weight off of it in both pics, I'd have a good look at the left S.I., hip, stifle, hock & hoof, to see if she's reactive anywhere in that leg. Her back looks really long, what I call a limo horse, long enough to carry a family of 4. So, I'd be careful of her back to not make her sore. She's also standing camped under in the front, so it'd be nice to see her standing square and straight in all 4 limbs. All in all with reasonable care, I don't see anything that says she couldn't do what you're going to ask of her for a nice long time.

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
You need to post different pic angles if you want a critique. See the 'sticky' in this part of the forum.

I turned your pics for you. Yeah, something about her hind end... I'd get a vet chiro to come see her. With any luck, if there's something going on in her hips or such, it will be easily fixed in an immature horse. May be a bit to do with 'gangly' growth stage too.

Please get a smaller halter for her, that's not sitting on(&nearly falling off) her sensitive nose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.