The Horse Forum banner

Red Raspberry Leaves/Selenium Levels

7279 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Reiningcatsanddogs
I have been researching using red raspberry leaves as a calming supplement instead of Mare Magic.

From what I've found its just as effective (for those horses it works on) and its cheaper.

The only thing I am confused on is they say to be aware of the levels of Selenium your horse is consuming. I looked up on average how much is in the soil where I live. is this high? :?
ElementSymbolMeanStd. dev.MinimumMaximum
SeleniumSe (ppm)0.2200.099 0.104 1.055
I dont want to worry about her getting selenium poisoning...
I've read there is a loading period and then people are feeding anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 a cup a day.

Any advice would be appreciated! Pros, cons, info on selenium.
Thanks!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are the active ingredient in Mare Magic...

and thats what worried me...that so much of the state was darker blue. and I believe if only takes very little over the "ok amount" to cause poisoning...thinking I may not want to risk it.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's actually the magnesium in raspberry leaves that make it work. I would think the values of minerals would depend on where they were grown.
thats right. they also have high levels of selenium, so raspberry leaves werent recommened if there is already high levels of selenium in the ground or feed.

· Registered
632 Posts
From what I understand, Mare Magic is 100% raspberry leaf, so if you're feeding MM already, you should not see any difference, other than in your wallet, by feeding raspberry leaf.

· Administrator
37,360 Posts
The calming factor in the raspberry leaves is in the magnesium they contain but the levels of it would change depending on where and when harvested and even on how long they'd been in the shelf
If you want a reliable source of magnesium then best to buy it as a mineral supplement - and that also removes the risks of too much selenium if your horse is already getting that from other feeds, hay, grazing

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havent been feeding it to her. I was reading up about it and it seemed like everyone just recommened buying the raspberry leaves in bulk since its cheaper. and like you said, Mare Magic is all raspberry leaf.

But now I'm more concerned with the selenium levels then her maretude..

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The calming factor in the raspberry leaves is in the magnesium they contain but the levels of it would change depending on where and when harvested and even on how long they'd been in the shelf
If you want a reliable source of magnesium then best to buy it as a mineral supplement - and that also removes the risks of too much selenium if your horse is already getting that from other feeds, hay, grazing
Thank you! great idea.

· Registered
5,541 Posts
One other substance that has been shown to calm a horse is Flax Seed supposedly due to the Omega 3's? Not sure how that works metabolically. Just something else you may want to look into.

Might be even less expensive and easier to get regularly than raspberry leaves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.