The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do y'all register your geldings? Is there a point in it?

I have a gelding here on the place that I have owned for a little over a year now, I broke him and have him doing a nice job for me as a dog horse.

I have a couple of people who are hounding me to register this horse, and "put him in my name" (random people). I have the papers on him, and more than trust the lady who I got him from.

What is the point of registering a gelding? obviously the blood line has stopped, I dont show, or compete with my boy.

The only benefit I can see to registering this horse, is to the registry its self.

So again, do y'all register your geldings?

Jim

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I have never changed the names in any of my horse's passports.

Too lazy, and I am not a competitor.. but I always have bills of sale for the horse.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
At the barn where I board most of the geldings are registered (but that's mainly people who want to show/travel a lot). My gelding is register able but never will be. I don't show, he won't breed (unless I missed a health class somewhere...), so why spend the money to do it? As for the bill of sales.... we'll my current two I got from a friend so aside from the transaction of the check I don't have any for them. And I'm sure any of those I get in the future will be in a file cabinet SOMEWHERE lol finding it will be the problem! Then again my state's not to big on them anyway....

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
My gelding is registered. His registration allows me to enter certain shows that require registration and his registry has incentive programs for me to join if I wanted to. Some people will also only purchase a registered animal so I think it does increase his value.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My gelding is registered and even if my shows don't require it, I wouldn't have bought him without his papers. Papers are proof of breeding, age, ownership, ect. And selling a grade gelding even if they are only a gelding is hard. Any horse with the chance of getting papers I believe should be registered.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Both my geldings are registered. As have all the geldings we've ever had. But they were registered by their prior owners. My personal horse's past owner used him to compete nationally with barrels. Another was a stud and was gelded at age 5. My old Arab was registered but his old owner used him for the American Arabian Circuit or something or other.

If you don't want to register them, then don't.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Proof of breed, age, etc. If you want to sell down the road, and you advertise him as a 10 year old QH gelding, well, you have proof that he is in fact 10 years old and a QH. Otherwise he is just a grade gelding of approximate age.

Keep his papers current as far as ownership goes. Just because he is a gelding does not mean there is less value to him.

Reactions: Red Gate Farm

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Our colt was just born last month, in due time he will be a gelding. We will register him with AQHA to prove his bloodline. Around here a registered horse will sell for almost 2x as much as a grade horse (this one will never leave our land!).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Op it is up to you if you want to register that gelding or not.
Registration may increase his value but having him trained will also.
I sold an unregistered QH gelding last year for 2500 and a registered one for 750.
Most people dont show and most do not care about registration papers.
Some do and if you ever want to show him then those papers are worth it. Shalom

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I say register. My gelding isn't registered, but if he had been I would've had proof of age, breeding, etc, that I wish I knew now. I was told he was 5 years younger than he truly was. Papers don't lie! If you sell him many people think his value will increase with papers.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
good as proof of age, markings and ownership. also for resale, here it makes a big difference to have them registered. for owners like myself, who enjoy researching bloodlines and knowing a horses lineage, papers are a definite plus. In the stock horse world, especially AQHA, a horses papers can reveal whether they have a chance of having a genetic disorder, like hypp.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I dont really mean registered, he is registered RMHA and KMSA, I just have never put him in my name, I have a bill of sale and his registered papers in a folder that travel with me along with his health papers coggins, and all of my dogs papers, and health certs, I just was curious how many go through the trouble of transferring a gelding. In a sense I have all of the proof of age and all of that so....

But I get where most of you are coming from. As far as his worth, I have already turned down $5k for him, so at least I have a place to start......

Jim

·
Registered
707 Posts
As long as you have a signed transfer form that has only the previous owner's info and no date and a clear bill of sale to you, you'll be fine. That allows you to transfer him without any penalties to someone else should you ever sell, but you don't ever have to pay to join the registry or pay transfer fees.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I had a Bashkir Curly gelding that got transferred into my name. I liked the idea that it was official, and it could be proved (if all else failed) through the registry that I owned him. If you have the papers, why not get them transferred? Some people wish they had when things to sour.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
A transfer that is filled out by the previous owner, but not you is trouble. If you ever misplace it, someone else can complete the transfer and claim they have possession of the horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Do y'all register your geldings? Is there a point in it?

I have a gelding here on the place that I have owned for a little over a year now, I broke him and have him doing a nice job for me as a dog horse.

I have a couple of people who are hounding me to register this horse, and "put him in my name" (random people). I have the papers on him, and more than trust the lady who I got him from.

What is the point of registering a gelding? obviously the blood line has stopped, I dont show, or compete with my boy.

The only benefit I can see to registering this horse, is to the registry its self.

So again, do y'all register your geldings?

Jim
1. Congratulation and good for you to have the good sense to ask "what's the point". There is none.

2. Since you have the papers that would be needed in order to register then if someone buys him and wants him registered then they can do it (why should you spend the money....I sure wouldn't).

3. As dbarabians pointed out. A well trained horse is worth more than a registered one. I've seen equine "mutts" that I'd have spent more for than some registered horses with impressive bloodlines. Registration doesn't make a good horse or even mean that it has any potential. I've ridden horses that we had no real knowledge of their parents bloodlines (in one case not even certain of the breed), but were incredible mounts. The proof is in how the meal turns out not what store the ingredients came from :lol:.

Reactions: dbarabians

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
When i bought my gelding i got his AQHA papers with filled out transfer by previous owner. I sent it in right away like bluespark said if you misplace it,and someone else gets a hold of it your in trouble.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think if you leave the papers in your safe and claim him as grade on brand inspections and what not, you wouldn't have any trouble. Obviously, don't leave papers with a signed transfer in your truck or trailer, or out where someone could get them. I usually do transfer if I intend to keep the horse a long time, but I never pay to transfer resale projects though. Not worth it.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Post is a bit confusing:?:? From reading this the horse has registration papers correct?? it is just that the transfer of ownership wasn't done "registering" or putting him in your name as current the owner,is that right? Well having always had registered horses & a breeder,I say if the horse if horse is eligible for registry do it!!:)if you buy a register horse yes please complete the transfer of ownership!!:wink: Registered horses are more desired/increased value , you may not care about papers but any potential new owner may,so unless you can guarantee to keep this horse till the day he dies do it:). They may want for breeding purposes, to show the animal ,to have its pedigree/birth record &/or just to say that horse belongs to them:D.Not keeping the transfers of ownerships up to date can be a real PITA. As a breeder I made the point to have all my stock registered made sure transfers were all filled out & signed for new owners,I have several that new owners never bothered to file the transfer with registry,so those animals according to them are still owned by me.:-o. Sad to say,:-( Now because of neglect of a few I don't trust the new owners to send in the necessary paperwork:evil:,so they get a photocopy of papers & I mail in papers myself to get things in order& association will send the orginals back to new owner with stuff complete

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Just my opinion on the grade thing, I agree 100% that a good grade can be worth way more than a registered horse. I grew up riding grades, some of them were incredible saddle horses. I have worked with papered horses bred to the nines that were total psychopaths. I have also sold grades for thousands and had to practically give away some registered horses. But in the long run, for most breeds and especially saddle horses, a fantastic riding gelding will be worth less(to a large percentage of people anyways) than an equally fantastic papered riding gelding.

I'm of the opinion that if you can register a horse and keep the paperwork up to date for a reasonable amount of money, you should, for all the reasons mentioned above
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.