The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always been aware that you could cross some breeds and get other breeds. Just out of curiosity (as both of my mares are too young and in work) what crosses can i breed my mares to to get registerable foals?

Crosses i know of
TB :
TB x Oldenberg (Does she need to be approved to do this?)
TB x QH (Appendix)
TB x Arabian (Half arabian or Anglo Arabian)

QH :
QH x Appaloosa
QH x Paint
QH x TB (Appendix)
QH x Andalusian (Azteca)

Like i said this is just out of common curiosity. Im in college so cannot afford nor do i have the time for a foal, plus i have both mares in training and they will both show extensively before having a foal. Ive just always wondered exactally WHAT type of foals i could get from them. I know id love to breed my TB one of these days for an oldenberg baby. Id love to jump competitively however my TB has a bone spur in her knee from the track and my QH is a reiner and doesnt really have the movement of jumping position of a jumper even though she likes to jump.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
I'm not aware of any cross between two breeds that results in another breed, although I could be missing one somewhere.

A lot of crosses can be registered somewhere that accepts crosses, but not as an actual breed. A cross is a cross -not a breed...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not talking about making a whole new breed. Im more along the lines of seeing what warmbloods i can cross my TB too to have a warmblood foal. I know you can cross breed such as appaloosa and a QH and t he resulting foal is registerable appaloosa. I just figured id put in both mares in case i missed something on the QH

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Texas you can cross that TB with a paint or and appaloossa and still register it.
Looking at warmblood pedigrees I see a lot of TBs and anglo arabs as well as other warmblood registriries mixed in their heritage. what the requirements are I am ignorant of but it seems that most are dependent upon inspections.
I am a firm believer that you can cross a TB or Arab with almost any breed and get a good horse. The history of the modern horse and its breeding prove this. Good luck. Shalom

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! I knew about those and just forgot to put them up! Thank you! Ive always seen TBs in warmblood pedigrees but then sometimes i see them refered too as TB/Warmblood crosses and i wonder whether its unregisterable or whether it wasnt approved or what! Its super confusing to me. Im a QH type person but i got my girl off the track just because i absolutely fell in love the moment i saw her. She's got excellent conformation and i want to show her in dressage once she matures (she's only three) and once i get out of college. Then id really love to use her as a broodmare. Ive already got soo many stallions id love to breed her too (Skys Blue Boy, Zips Chocolate Chip, Mr. Yella Fella, Krymsun Kruizer) but id also like to try some warmbloods as well. As i said id love to learn to jump but she cant from her time on the track.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
The American Warmblood soceity may be an option. I had my TB mare approved years ago. I think the process is different today.
I am not a beleiver that papers are necessary especially for performance horses. Unless of course you are breeding for breed shows.
This is my point, if you breed that mare to a warmblood or TB stallion you would still get a horse suitable for the disciplines you are breeding for. also I think that you could then have the foal approved by the warmblood soceity of your choice. As far as I can determine they are not strictly going by bloodlines as much as ability. Shalom

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont believe so either. The love of my life is a non registered QH x Saddlebred. Im having him registered as a pinto when he is gelded tuesday though. As a gelding it shouldnt matter but i feel that if i ever was forced to sell him *knock on wood.* even out of my TB and my QH mares (both registered and broken) he would be the last to go, however if i HAD to sell him it would give him a better chance at a good home. He's trained through the nose and has manners out the whazoo but people around i live think "oh well i can get a registered horse for 600$ why would i want this unregistered horse" even if my horse was trained as a showhorse (thats the plan) and this other horse is just a greenbroke trail horse. The people where i live are really superficial with horses. Color and papers beat training any day. Its sickening but its what happens. My colt will be a great kids horse or trail horse though.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I agree but I would like to stress that a good horse that is well trained will always be a good price.
There are 2 QH mares here that were rescued. They are both purebred but I do not have their papers. I am sending them to training for playday events or roping to ensure they have a very good chance of finding and keeping a good home.
People who insist on papers are not looking at the complete picture. Sure they increase the price of the horse but they do not make it a better mount.
A finished horse will bring a good price even without papers.
When it comes to the warmbloods it might make it worth your efforts to do so by increasing the value of the horse enough to make a difference.
With the QH and Paints etc, unless it is in the top 10% of the breed I really don't think that it matters.
Shalom

·
Registered
223 Posts
TB x Oldenberg (Does she need to be approved to do this?)
Yes, your mare does have to be approved. Fortunately, she is eligible for the Premium Mare Book if she scores high enough. But she does have to be Jockey Club Registered. Oldenburg Registry N.A.

You can also register your mare as an American Trakehner and produce ATA babies. ATA Thoroughbred/Arabian Inspection Program

You can also do the KWPN-NA (Dutch Warmblood). The Jockey Club is an "Erkend" studbook. So your mare may be inspected and have her JC papers stamped with her KWPN-NA status. KWPN-NA

You can do the American Holsteiner Horse Association. AHHA page 8-9

There's also the American Hanoverian Society. AHS

And the Rheinland Pfalz-saar International. RPSI

And the Sweedish Warmblood Association of North America SWANA

Honestly your mare can cross with pretty much any warmblood and as long as she's well built and moves well, she will produce a fully register-able foal with most, if not all, warmblood registeries.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats exactally the type of info i was looking for! Thank you so much!!
I expect her to cross well with whatever i try her with. She's got SLOW floating movements and she's VERY calm and levelheaded. That on top of her conformation makes me think she'd make a good broodmare in the future once ive trained her for a few years in dressage.

This is my girl when i went to see her for the first time.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
my mare is half hanoverian and half tb, she is registered hanoverian sport horse.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have 2 Hanoverian/Tbs and they are registered Oldenburg N/A and RPSI :) Just get your mare approved and find an approved stallion. Oldenburg is better so if she can be inspected for Oldenburg that is best. Good luck...she looks like a pretty mare!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I dont know about in the US but over here if you cross a TB with an arab then you get an Anglo Arab and they are fully registerable with the AHS in the anglo register.

TB x welsh can also be registered as a WPBR
most native crosses are registerable in the partbred register of the respective breed societies.

We can also register with SHB(GB) as a sports horse.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
tb/welsh or cob can also be registered welsh pony/cob as long as they are at least 1/2 welsh or cob

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
tb/welsh or cob can also be registered welsh pony/cob as long as they are at least 1/2 welsh or cob
No they cant. the welsh stud book is a closed stud book and thus non purebreds cannot be registered as a welsh pony/cob)
They can however be registered as a welsh part bred provided they have at least 50% pure blood (in America, it is 12.5% in the UK)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be really cool around here! All we have are Stock horses and walkers. The only TBs ive seen are mine and the ones at the track i used to work for. Ive never seen a cob or a warmblood even. Actually... im the only one i know of who has an english saddle O-o A cob would be VERY interesting to have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.