The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The most irritating experience I had with someone not registering a foal was back in 2004. Went with my mom to see a filly she was looking at buying. The seller was the second owner, bought her the year before as a weanling. Advertised her as a purebred registered quarter horse. She was a well made little 1 1/2 year old and sweet as honey. My mom decided to buy her, when my mom gave her the check and we loaded the filly into the trailer, the owner handed the registration application. My mom wasn't thrilled but thought she could register the filly herself. Well, the papers weren't filled out properly by the original owner, the girl who had bought the filly as a weanling couldn't get him to sign them. And as it turns out, it didn't really matter anyway. Apparently the guy that had applied for her registration wasn't ever a registered owner of the dam! Ugh! AQHA told me that he would have to have the dam transferred to him as the owner at the time of foaling in order to have the filly registered and the address that they had on file for the guy was a bad address, so there was no way to contact him to sign or have papers transferred. And on top of that, the dam had transferred more than three times on record from the time of breeding to when she foaled. So my mom ended up with a beautiful, gentle mare that is now a grade. When she sold her as a nine year old, multiple quarter horse breeders asked if she was registered (even though it was plainly stated in the ads that she wasn't) and would have bought her if she was. But, she did find a wonderful home that didn't need a registered horse, just a gentle riding companion.

I think some breeders have it in their heads that they can just give the registration application to a buyer so they can pick their horse's name (and pay the higher registration price)

Now that my mom has two bred mares, she is going to be registering the foals before they are 6 months old. So much cheaper at that age, and I already know what the name will be if her arab has a colt :D

Too many don't realize the value that papers can have, proving ownership, the age, their bloodlines, seeing which horses may need to be tested for particular genetic diseases. Also knowing that you aren't breeding brothers and sisters unintentionally (previous owner of my mom's stallion turned down people who wanted to breed his half sisters to him)

Hope you don't get anymore surprises. When she is registered, you should add her to allbreedpedigree with her information :D
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.