The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know what? I want to learn reining. Never in my life have I seen a horse short that actually looks fun. I'm too scared to jump, not much for dressage because every motion is so exact and strict, etc. Freestyle reining seems like something I could really enjoy. Fun music, costumes, and BLING. :D

The only problem is that everyone at my barn thinks that English is so much better than Western and frown upon anyone who even gives it thought. What do I do? I'm going to have to ask around the barn in order to find an instructor, and I'm going to be criticized like crazy and lose the very, very small amount of respect I have accumulated...

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
go for it!! I'm a dressage rider, theBO that actually used to Rein now teaches an rides dressage so there is a good mix where i'm at. Ignore those people! I've never liked snobs, and I go out of my way to politly **** em off! Haha have fun, and ignore them

·
Registered
359 Posts
i think alot of it is pretty similar really

·
Registered
359 Posts
like the basics are the basics for both

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I use a lot of dressage movements with my reiners in training. You can check out NRHA.com and find trainers in your area. They will also have a list of the affiliates close to you. If you can not find anything from there close check your local AQHA affiliate b/c if there are no NRHA events in your area the reiners will show there.

Keep in mind that most NRHA shows do not offer freestyle reining. That is mostly Congress and the Futurity/world show.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would also like to point out like Dressage reining requires very precise movements and timing.

You can mess up basically every manuver if you don't ask at the right time, and that timing takes a long time to develop.

But to answer you original question GO FOR IT, like other people have told you. Who cares what they think, they are clearly being closed minded.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I know how you feel! I would love to give reining and cutting a go, but I am currently at an english barn where western is just not done. I showed up with my rescue mare on monday to ride in a western saddle (my english saddle is too wide right now) and I got lots of frowns and weird looks. I think a lot of english riders think western riders are lazy and just rely on the saddle to keep them on the horse.

ANYWAY, have fun! Start asking your horse for some of the basic reining movements, work on getting more precise stops and starts, and how to ride on a loose rein and neck rein.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I ride western/prefer it. And I feel more secure in an english saddle.

Maybe I'm just weird, but honestly I'm afraid fo the horn if my horse starts wanting to leap in the air and such lol.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice, everyone! :D

I'm going to talk to my trainer next lesson and ask her about it. She firmly believes that before starting any discipline, you should know your basics very, very thoroughly, so I'm sure I'll be hanging around for a while and getting everything perfect before I move on. :)

As for the snobs, ya'll are right. I'll come back and show them up when I get good. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts