The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing a new saddle. Eventually I plan to show LOCAL small reining shows maybe and also enter some cow horse clinics which would be little learning how to cut in a very baby kinda way haha.

-I ride everyday.
-I want MADE IN THE USA.
-I only want one saddle, I don't do the work saddle and show saddle thing :lol:

Anyone have any ideas on if I should look at a cowhorse or reining saddle? And brand ideas? I like continental saddlery saddles but maybe someone knows a better brand?

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

Cow Horse Saddles and Reining Saddles are not hugely different, some makers have shorter Horns on their Reining Saddle than a Cow Horse, but not all brands do. Some Cutting Saddle are similar to both in many ways.

It depends on the Manufacture, IMO

Since they are non-sanctioned shows, I would go with whichever fits you, the Horse and your budget

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I like the Bob's cowhorse saddles.

How much are you looking to spend?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Under $3000 would be nice.... But if its made I. The USA and a good quality last me a life time deal I'd go over,

I forgot to mention, I'm 4 foot 11 so likely I would need a custom job or a used saddle with short fendes. I like a 15 1/2 seat.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Did you look at SouthernTrailsGA website he has posted in his signature? I just looked, they look real nice!

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Note: the horn on a cow horse saddle is a PITA when you are trying to rein, it's high and it gets in the way. Just a note:)

Reactions: franknbeans

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note: the horn on a cow horse saddle is a PITA when you are trying to rein, it's high and it gets in the way. Just a note:)
That's what I was thinking... The cow stuff I plan on doing would be beginner cow clinics so I'm thinking I might be fine with a little horn?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you look at SouthernTrailsGA website he has posted in his signature? I just looked, they look real nice!
Looking at them right now! Lol

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have a Todd Jey Ranch Cutter that I use for Reined Cowhorse. I use it to school and show in. I really like it. It's custom and he will do what you want in a saddle. Very reasonble.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm so torn between style, color, and stuff I might put this off a while. :( I need a saddle warehouse so I can try 100 out and see what I like lol

Reactions: KayceeJo

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I have a Billy Cook that I love. It's nothing fancy but it's one of the few saddles I can slide comfortably in (even though I'm not reining anymore). I'm picky about saddles.

Continental is a good brand too IMO. Never owned one, but my trainer had one I rode her horses in for awhile that was comfy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Billy Cook that I love. It's nothing fancy but it's one of the few saddles I can slide comfortably in (even though I'm not reining anymore). I'm picky about saddles.

Continental is a good brand too IMO. Never owned one, but my trainer had one I rode her horses in for awhile that was comfy.
My trainer bought a billy cook and says the same thing, but the everyone else bought billy cooks so I thought I'd try something different.

Contenental Saddlery offers some sorta test drive for thier saddles... So I might call them and talk to them about it... I wonder if I could have them send me out a saddle, and if I like it could I just buy it then? Lol

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Well......after much searching and having several saddles myself, I have found that only a saddle with a "narrow twist" will work for me. Something to consider, IMO. I bought a used Bob's custom KR reiner (they have the narrow twist, as does the Lady reiner) and I love it. My best friend rides in a Duane Latimer (also a Bobs) but, I have no idea if that tree is a narrow twist also. I can tell you it is really popular among women. I have also ridden in a Continental-it was Ok, no comparison to the Bobs, and I owned both a Custom Leddy (which was GORGEOUS, but made my hips hurt since it was not a narrow twist) and a Rocking R, which, honestly was my first reiner and I really liked it. Good Bob's with the narrow twist (one of the ones I named above) can be hard to find, but they also hold their value. My Rocking R did too. You WILL lose value if you shorten the leathers.....But, at your height, you probably do not have a choice.

Actually-if you call Tony at Cowdog Saddles-he is really helpful and can tell you which ones may work for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got two reining saddles, a Dale Chavez and a Pard's Versatility. Both are nice saddles, the chavez is fancier looking, more tooling and bling, but the pard's is the most comfortable saddle I've ridden in.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I wonder how so many of us managed to use the saddle we had to do everything, instead of specialty saddles. I barrel raced, trail rode, showed western pleasure, played at cutting cattle all in my roping saddle.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I loved my trainer's tex tan imperial reiner! Right now I'm riding in a Bob's, very comfy! I've never ridden in a continental but HOLY GUACAMOLE, they are BEAUTIFUL without being over the top. I follow their FB page and I drool when I see them. One day I will have enough shekels to buy one of my own.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
I tried a TexTan-hated it. Maybe because it was new? Seemed stiff, stirrups weren't turned-just uncomfortable to me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well......after much searching and having several saddles myself, I have found that only a saddle with a "narrow twist" will work for me. Something to consider, IMO. I bought a used Bob's custom KR reiner (they have the narrow twist, as does the Lady reiner) and I love it. My best friend rides in a Duane Latimer (also a Bobs) but, I have no idea if that tree is a narrow twist also. I can tell you it is really popular among women. I have also ridden in a Continental-it was Ok, no comparison to the Bobs, and I owned both a Custom Leddy (which was GORGEOUS, but made my hips hurt since it was not a narrow twist) and a Rocking R, which, honestly was my first reiner and I really liked it. Good Bob's with the narrow twist (one of the ones I named above) can be hard to find, but they also hold their value. My Rocking R did too. You WILL lose value if you shorten the leathers.....But, at your height, you probably do not have a choice.

Actually-if you call Tony at Cowdog Saddles-he is really helpful and can tell you which ones may work for you.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've heard super great thing about Bobs. It sounds like they are worth the extra cash and I might be happiest in the end by going that way.

I hate to shorten the stirrups but I'm not looking at resale value, if I spend that much money on a saddle it's getting buried with me. :lol: but in all honestly I can't be the only short kid riding.

I like your comments about a narrow twist, I never thought about it. I'm a little heavy right now (going 130lbs... I just had my first child and I'm having difficulty getting the weight off :-( ) but when I was riding everyday before I got pregnant I went 96lbs on average. I wonder if I would notice a difference? So far I ride in other saddles and feel fine. Other than 90% of them I have to ride without stirrups or stirrups that are too long. :lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I loved my trainer's tex tan imperial reiner! Right now I'm riding in a Bob's, very comfy! I've never ridden in a continental but HOLY GUACAMOLE, they are BEAUTIFUL without being over the top. I follow their FB page and I drool when I see them. One day I will have enough shekels to buy one of my own.
Posted via Mobile Device
I had a real old Saddlesmith that I just LOVED but sold it when I sold my one QH. I think it's probably like the Tex Tan, finding a good one now a days will be real tough. Both companies are putting out product that I no longer care for now. Just not the quality they once were.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.