The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was curious if you guys have ever, or know anybody who has, taught minis-or Shetlands, how to do various reining moves on the ground, and if so how you/they taught them. I think teaching spins and sliding stop as a sort of trick would be interesting. Any thoughts or advice on how to do so would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
:runpony:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I had a Timor pony 10hh

Pretty much as you would any other horse. Mouthing, lunging, driving(long rein). With long rein use a surcingle with loops to bring the rein at the right level for the pony so that you are not pulling up on the mouth. When pony is going kindly and you can lunge and drive all over the place you can start any fancy stuff.

The main difference is you tend to be over/above them from the start whereas with a larger animal having you over/above them is one of the things they take a bit of getting used to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Timor pony 10hh

Pretty much as you would any other horse. Mouthing, lunging, driving(long rein). With long rein use a surcingle with loops to bring the rein at the right level for the pony so that you are not pulling up on the mouth. When pony is going kindly and you can lunge and drive all over the place you can start any fancy stuff.

The main difference is you tend to be over/above them from the start whereas with a larger animal having you over/above them is one of the things they take a bit of getting used to.
I already have her lunging and ground driving quite well, it's the actual spins and stops I'm not sure how to teach

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.