The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bridle that came with my girl came with some standard black English reins. They are too short though, the ends of the reins stick out maybe an inch from my hand. Do I need to buy reins that specifically state they are "draft" reins, or do I just need to buy longer reins? How do you measure for reins? This is my first horse and my first tack, so I hope I don't sound like an idiot!!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
You might look for reins that are specially designed for draft horses. There are several good draft tack websites. To find out the minimum length you need, you can take a piece of rope and tie it to the bit on each side, adjusting until it is a comfortable length then measure the rope.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I haven't ever bought draft reins with my guys, I do always get 8 ft + split reins though. The standard ones are never long enough to be usable. I ride western, so I'm not sure how that would translate with english reins.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I had to get extra long reins-ride English. They didn't indicate anything was "draft-sized", just extra long. They are 6 ft. for each rein and that works very nicely. With standard reins, if he put his head down I was at the buckle and leaning down over his neck! I would imagine you could get extra long western reins too. I found mine at a tack consignment store.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.