The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of going without a relationship with horses, I am currently rekindling my friendship with this animal. I have begun taking classes with a horse trainer and we have gotten close enough to a horse to do some gentle massage and subtle communication. Im so pleased to have this part of my life opening back up! I am also a broom maker and have recently gotten into using horse hair as a fiber. I am very interested in learning about the ethical harvest of horse hair and how all horse hair is harvested in general.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
What @Avna said.

I’m not going to say “you’re call”, however, I’m going to say “bad idea”, since horse hair can’t be harvested like lambs wool or alpaca wool:):)

Sadly I have read of people, whose horses are out at night or 24/7, discover their horses tails been chopped off in the night by someone who no doubt needed the hair to make horse hair jewelry.

Not only have I read of missing tails on forums, I read it in the local newspaper some years back. Someone had a small herd of horses on a remote 24/7 pasture. When they went to check on them, the horses who allowed a human to get close enough to them, had had their tails whacked off - enough of their tails they couldn’t swat flies.

It’s pretty difficult to dispute a square cut across a tail vs. getting it tangled in something and ripped off:):)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you knew people who kept show horses, you could ask for some mane hair after they have pulled the horses' manes. I have always been shocked by how much hair they take off. Or does it have to be tail hair? Again, some people shorten their horses' tails every now and then to keep them at a good length, but I'm not sure it would be long enough for your purposes?

How do you make brooms out of horse hair? Wouldn't it be not stiff enough?

Oh, and also (1) welcome! and (2) yay for getting back into horses!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know they make show horse tail extensions and they are made of horse hair. So I googled a company to ask the source of this hair. It said the company is in China so I shudder to think where they get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I should have been more specific. While I do make full-sized brooms, the large Kitchen Brooms are not made of horse hair - they are typically made from Broom Corn which is grown specifically for this purpose. I make small horse hair brushes for lymphatic skin brushing (gently brushing the skin to activate the parasympathetic nervous system and encouraging the lymph to flow). I first started making these when a friend gave her horse's mane a trim and gave me the hair from that. She also gave me some of his tail hair. So, I do not require a whole horse tail for what I am doing; only a small amount of clippings or trimmings. I will try and post a photo of one here.

Thank you all for your feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts