The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dealing with thrush in my boys feet since last august. First he had it in his back feet- one of them is completely healed, and the other is just growing out. A few month after he got it in his back feet, his front right got it, so I started treating that too, and it is healing up nicely. Then, last week, he started to get it in his front left foot. I think I caught it pretty early though, so it should heal quickly.
I'm just wondering why he keeps getting it? He's turned out during the day, and brought in at night. His paddock has been frozen, so its not like he's standing in mud all the time, and his stall is kept pretty clean.
His hooves are picked out every day and his grain is Blue Seal Carb Guard, with a salt\mineral block available in his stall and flax seed added to his feed.
I'm just wondering why he keeps getting this, and if there is anything else I can do to prevent it. I can just see him getting it again when spring starts and his paddock becomes mucky if he's getting it just standing in snow!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
If his hoofs stay cleaned I'm quite surprised he gets it. Mine are under same conditions and same diet, but so far so good for several years. Try Koppertox may be for some time (that's what my vet suggested while back)?

·
Registered
334 Posts
One of our mares has always struggled with it. We live in a moderate climate, and she has ample turnout/balanced diet etc. We use either Koppertox or thrush buster, as well as supplement her grain with biotin to encourage healthier hoof growth. Just hang in there! It is a pain, but daily maintenance really helps keep it under control.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I like Koppertox over thrush buster (I tried both), because it covers the area and the thin layer stays there for sometime (that's why vet suggested it to me in 1st place).

OP, if you use either put gloves on: they are sticky (especially Koppertox, plus it's colorful :) ) and smelly.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been using apple cider vinegar ( and novodry for the bad cases). It works very well, and isn't too harsh. I try to spray all his feet with it ever few days.
I've tried a few different products from the tack store (like koppertox and thrush buster) and it seems to burn him and make his feet very sore.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That may be, but seeing as how the vinegar and novodry seem to do a great job without hurting him, I don't think its necessary to use something that makes him so sore. I think he may be sensitive to something in the product. Anywho- I can't use it anyways as after two treatments, he will start to kick if I go near his feet because they hurt so much- which makes it very hard to treat his feet if he won't let me near them. :p.
Would adding biotin to his feed help? His feet already get trimmed every four weeks since they grow so quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
That may be, but seeing as how the vinegar and novodry seem to do a great job without hurting him, I don't think its necessary to use something that makes him so sore. I think he may be sensitive to something in the product. Anywho- I can't use it anyways as after two treatments, he will start to kick if I go near his feet because they hurt so much- which makes it very hard to treat his feet if he won't let me near them. :p.
Would adding biotin to his feed help? His feet already get trimmed every four weeks since they grow so quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well - how great a job is it? You say it keeps coming back . . .

·
Registered
334 Posts
Very true about the Koppertox being smelly... I agree with wearing gloves! If you're like me, you may also want to wear some old clothes too. ;) I have green polka dots on some of my barn wear.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it works as one is fully healed and grown out, and two others are well on their way( thrush is gone, just making sure it doesn't come back until they grow out), its just keeping it from comming back that's the problem. What really baffles me is why is he getting it in the winter, when the ground is frozen solid??
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I have a mare that was notorious for thrush. I seem to have it licked now though. At it's worst, I had my trimmer come out more often than she thought was necessary to supervise my trimming work and do touch ups. I needed some fresh eyes on those hooves.

Once I got it under control again, the winning strategies for prevention were:

1. I added Hoffman's minerals to her diet. Initially I added 1/2 cup to her feed daily for 2 weeks plus left out free choice for her. Now I just leave out the free choice. She gets that, free choice hay and a cup of 12% ration (not sweet).

2. I improved my trimming. She absolutely can not go more than 4 weeks. It might not be much, but that 5th week is the killer.

3. If I see the slightest inclination of thrush, or frog that just doesn't look smooth and tight - it's gone before you can blink. I immediately cut it off. It's sometimes just a scrape with the hoof knife, but it makes a difference.

4. I also clean her feet with soapy water, rinse and apply my homemade thrush cream weekly, thrush or no thrush.

Honestly, I believe that some horses are just more inclined to thrush than others. Just like some are easy keepers and some aren't. Everyone's an individual.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
he doesnt "keep" getting it. You arnt completely getting rid of it. Isnt thrush a fungus like atletes foot ? The symptoms can be cured but the fungus is still there. You have to keep applying treatment for a couple weeks after all symptoms are gone.
I think you also need to be using thrush medicine. MLS has a pretty good point. Your home remedy isnt working that good if he still has it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you NorthernMama, that was very informative. I try to do his feet every four weeks, but it sometimes stretches to around 5. I will make sure they are done at exactly four weeks to see if that helps. Also, you said you had added minerals to his diet, would it be safe to add them to his current feed- is it possible to give them too much this way?? I will say, that he almost never touches the mineral block in his stall, whereas the other horses chomp theirs right up within a few weeks.
Just for some clarification, these products do get rid of it. As I said before, one foot has already completely healed, and the thrush is gone in the other two, I'm just waiting for the holes to grow out, and preventing it from comming back until they do. What has me concerned is that another foot has it now (which had not previously- even though the ground is frozen). If the products were not working, the feet would not be healing:).

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I would defiantly invest in some thrush buster.
I would also look into feeding him a feed through hoof supplement.

We had a horse at a barn I worked at that got it pretty bad.
We started him on Bioton Crumbles and treated his feet with thrush buster and with in a week his feet were sooo much better.
After doing this for a month and continuing to feed the supplement we never had any more issues out of him.

p.s. the links are with smartpak because I highly recommend those too :) I love them, they keep supplements fresh and giving them are so much easier!

edit: I just saw were you talked about having already tried the thrush buster and how he reacts so here are a few others you could try

http://www.smartpakequine.com/thrush-remedy-4761p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/mane-n-tail-pro-tect-thrush-treatment/SLT171240/

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=dd12e4d8-bd60-46a8-a133-43edee71afd8

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07336-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

http://www.equestriancollections.co...utm_source=CJ&utm_campaign=MA00012R&source=CJ

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for the links, I will look into the supplements- hopefully that will help.
He is in his stall during the night- at the moment he comes in around 6pm and is put back out at 7am. They usually stay out until it starts getting dark, so during the summer they are usually out until 9ish. The stalls are cleaned ever day (pee spots taken out and all). The floor is dirt, with a thick layer of sawdust over top. Since he's boarded, I will have to talk to the BO about giving his stall a good scrub down. What does everyone suggest to clean dirt floors? I don't think scrubbing it with bleach would work too well. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.