The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I am new to Horse Forum and hoping for some insight on replacing the previous Belvin's Buckles on my saddle. This saddle is a Herford Texas Tan (I can't make out the rest of the words, maybe another word starting with a KEN? - it is 40+ years old I believe, as it was given to me by a lovely friend who stopped riding). I have had a look around online for a replacement of the Belvin's Buckles which are a little worse for wear and I have not been able to find anything that looks exactly like them. My questions are:
  • Are these Belvin's Buckles and is there a more specific name/type for what I have?
  • Would 'regular' Belvin's Buckles bought at a tack shop work just as well?
I would appreciate any other insight or suggestions as I am still learning the intricacies of tack!
Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Those aren't Blevins buckles but I can't remember what they are called. I have seen those replacement slides but they were poorly made. The ones you currently have would be better.
I don't think buying replacement Blevins slides will work as the slides you have, have the prongs, "male end". But you'll have to remind me by posting a picture of the end riveted to the end of your stirrup leather.

If you have someone near you who does saddle work I'd have them rivet new Blevins on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those aren't Blevins buckles but I can't remember what they are called. I have seen those replacement slides but they were poorly made. The ones you currently have would be better.
I don't think buying replacement Blevins slides will work as the slides you have, have the prongs, "male end". But you'll have to remind me by posting a picture of the end riveted to the end of your stirrup leather.

If you have someone near you who does saddle work I'd have them rivet new Blevins on.
Okay good to know! Thank you very much for your response and makes sense about Belvin's slides not fitting. I take it this is not going to be as quite an easy fix as I first thought haha I believe below are the angles you were curious about, if they are not please
let me know as I am still learning :)

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
You bet! Good pictures, thanks for jogging my memory! Many years ago I had an old slick fork saddle that I started colts in with those buckles on the stirrup leathers. They were kind of a pain.

Confirming the Blevins slides won't work. So you can use what you have or take it to someone who can put the Blevins buckles on for you. I think you'll like them better. And if for some reason you lose a slide you can find them at any tack store or leather shop.

Have fun with your new saddle!

Reactions: Cass15

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You bet! Good pictures, thanks for jogging my memory! Many years ago I had an old slick fork saddle that I started colts in with those buckles on the stirrup leathers. They were kind of a pain.

Confirming the Blevins slides won't work. So you can use what you have or take it to someone who can put the Blevins buckles on for you. I think you'll like them better. And if for some reason you lose a slide you can find them at any tack store or leather shop.

Have fun with your new saddle!
Awesome thank you for your help and input - I appreciate it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts