The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to replace the billets on my AP saddle with dressage ones as the buckles of the girth are ruining my saddle flaps and it is also annoying and sometimes painful to have those bulky buckles underneath my leg. I have a friend that would be able to attach them for me. Where would I be able to buy these dressage billets? I would like to buy some.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
She is qualified. She does everything
In my opinion, if she is qualified she will know where to buy the necessary materials to make it happen.

Putting new billets on your saddle is not the same as doing most other things. It is something that should be done by a professional.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my opinion, if she is qualified she will know where to buy the necessary materials to make it happen.

Putting new billets on your saddle is not the same as doing most other things. It is something that should be done by a professional.
I asked where to find them. All I want is an answer

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Like the others said, most saddlemakers/leather workers who would repair/replace a saddle's billets know where to find them, or can make them. I have never seen billets for sale.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like the others said, most saddlemakers/leather workers who would repair/replace a saddle's billets know where to find them, or can make them. I have never seen billets for sale.
Its funny because I saw some online somewhere (can't remember where now) but they had wintec ones

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
I have had billets replaced lots of times, and the saddler always provided the billets. I have never seen replacement billets for sale. I do know billets are cut from a certain part of the cowhide for the thickness and the strength and resilence.

If you're determined to go this route, maybe you should find an ususable saddle, like one with a broken tree, and salvage the billets from it?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
OP, why are you getting snippy with us when we are just giving you any advice we have since we don't have an exact answer for you?

·
Registered
15,059 Posts
Go to ebay & look for a "parts" saddle, prolly pick that up for a bit more than shipping costs.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP, why are you getting snippy with us when we are just giving you any advice we have since we don't have an exact answer for you?
I was getting "snippy" because I only need one person to tell me something once. Not a bunch coming on and saying the same thing.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Well you did ask "anyone else" so people were giving their opinion, they were just doing as asked

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
And now we get to the problem again

I now have 3 choices, Ignore your thread, which always seems rude

Post and say I have no idea where to get them, which doesn't help anyone.

OR

Give the best advice that I can, which will only make you angry, because all I can think of is to get the saddler to do it.

OR I would have to get busy on ebay, google and tandy leather stores which to be honest you could do just as well as me.:wink:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And now we get to the problem again

I now have 3 choices, Ignore your thread, which always seems rude

Post and say I have no idea where to get them, which doesn't help anyone.

OR

Give the best advice that I can, which will only make you angry, because all I can think of is to get the saddler to do it.

OR I would have to get busy on ebay, google and tandy leather stores which to be honest you could do just as well as me.:wink:
Good point :wink: I feel so stupid :oops: By the way, I found some ReactorPanel Saddle Company :: SHOP BY DISCIPLINE :: Dressage :: Spare Saddle Parts :: Spare Billets

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would most definately get a experienced saddler change my billets!!! Good advice from experienced equestrians!!:smile:
Problem is, there are none in my area. Not even remotely close. I can't afford to have a saddler do it. My friend is very experienced and makes or repairs anything. She can make her own saddles if she wanted to. She would do it for practically nothing if I had the materials and let her keep the old billets

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.