The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. I recently became the owner of this saddle. I know nothing about it other than it has the marking of BH&G Ltd on the underside. It’s a wooden military type tree. The seat pad is astonishingly in good shape. I do have the other stirrup but wasn’t attached upon receiving and not interested in making any changes to present condition as of yet. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It's a UP (Universal Pattern) saddle used by UK and Commonwealth armed forces. Seat pad is an add-on and the stirrup is what looks like Western style with a hood, which again is not standard issue, though might have been in the Antipodes. The leather should normally buckle onto the stirrup bar (basically an iron 'D' with roller) and sit above the flap, not below. If it's ex-military the saddle will usually have a broad arrow mark on it somewhere, stamped into the leather.

I haven't come across the manufacturer before, sorry, but a look online suggests BH & G were heavily into military leatherwork during WW1 and II so probably operated from at least the mid-19th century.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.