The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Congratulations on the new horse!

I thoroughly agree with the previous posters, I just have a smidge more to say. :)
I would recommend that you consider getting this book: Amazon.com: Equine Fitness: A Program of Exercises and Routines for Your Horse (9781603424639): Jec Aristotle Ballou: Books

It's fantastic at outlining what and how much to do to build muscle on your horse. It even has a special "older horses" section that outlines exercises that specifically target problem areas in senior horses.

Also, side note, according to that book (which references studies and stuff), it can take a year or more for the internal structures of a horse to become strong after becoming weak. So, even once she looks and seems 100%, her ligaments and tendons are still going to be playing catch up. It's just something to keep in mind. It doesn't sound to me like you're going too fast but be careful. :)

Do you have access to hills? Hills are fantastic for gaining muscle, especially topline muscle.

ETA: I'm thinking 10-15 minutes max. of trotting. Since she is so undermuscled, the strain and torque of circles at high speed (lunging/roundpenning) is going to be so much worse for her than it would be if she were going in a straight line. In a straight line 15-20 minutes would probably be ok but I wouldn't do that to her on the lune line/in the round pen.
Do you have access to an arena where you could free lunge her? That's something I forgot to mention. I'm of the opinion that free lunging is fantastic for horses, especially those who are under muscled. I found with my mare that she learned how to carry herself (since the lunge line pulls on the horse, no matter how loose it is) so much better due to being free lunged and there's less torque and strain on her legs because she'll be moving in more of a large rectangle vs a circle. And! Side benefit: she'll learn to watch your body language more closely for cues because you're farther from her.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Is it ok to work her every day just maybe only a little on off days?
I would seriously work her (trotting etc) every other day. You know how after you work out hard your body needs to recover? It's the same for horses. I've found that a recovery day in between hard (for her body, right now, this is most likely hard) hard work does wonders.
You could definitely get her out everyday and work on ground work (respecting space, going for walks, etc) in her "days off" but I wouldn't be trotting her or anything on those days.
I know she seems like she has energy but her mind is in a different state than her body. Try getting her mind to work on those days off and I bet you'll see a decrease in over all "crazy". :lol:

I have this pad (I got it from somewhere else so it was cheaper, look on Amazon or something) and I really like it. It washes well and it's very soft. It's not the thickest pad out there but I really like it.
Roma Ecole Star Quilt Close Contact Saddle Pad and Quilted Close Contact Pads | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.