The Horse Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m young; in my mid 20s so I may not know as much as some of you :). My grandfather and has been around horses all of his life but is very old school and outdated when it comes to things so that’s what brings me here.

A few weeks ago i bought a horse whom I’ve named Diesel. She’s a 2 year old quaterhorse cross but the previous owner doesn’t know what she’s mixed with. My grandfather is saying that that he thinks that she is a quarter horse-welsh. She’s not very tall, I’m 5’11 and I’m taller than her. I was Hoping that she’ll atleast be 15hh

My grandpa is saying that since she’s 2 1/2 she’s basically done all of her growing but may get “slightly” bigger. The picture I included is when I first first bought her vs 2 weeks later. Does she look like a quaterhorse-welsh to you? Do you think she’ll grow to be atleast 14-15hh?
Horse Vertebrate Light Nature Liver

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
What do you mean when you say you're taller than her? You mean your head is higher than her head? Horses are measured at the withers so that's your reference point. I think we need to know how tall she is now to estimate how much more she might grow.

I can't help you determine breeding, but is something going on with her left hock? It looks like it's really bulging out and that there's quite a serious (though not fresh) laceration going on. Did you have a vet examine her? This kind of injury could really impede her movement and limit what you can do with her.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean when you say you're taller than her? You mean your head is higher than her head? Horses are measured at the withers so that's your reference point. I think we need to know how tall she is now to estimate how much more she might grow.

I can't help you determine breeding, but is something going on with her left hock? It looks like it's really bulging out and that there's quite a serious (though not fresh) laceration going on. Did you have a vet examine her? This kind of injury could really impede her movement and limit what you can do with her.
yes she got tangled in the rope and went into a bucking fit when we were trying to load her up to take her to the vet. It’s just rope burn, my grandpa cut the lead rope before it did to much damage.

yes when I say I’m taller than her I mean my head, I’m not sure how many hands she is. But she is ALOT shorter than horses around her

·
Super Moderator
15,687 Posts
She's a baby....please don't forget she is a baby yet.
Looking at her build from your pictures I would say she has several inches yet to grow...
She is substantially butt high and will yet level a bit....then go wonky then level-off...
Quarter Horses are often a bit butt high, but not as dramatically un-level as your baby is.
At 2 years of age she has growing yet to do.
I don't know about Welsh cross but think she also exhibits some Thoroughbred with her head and definitely with that butt high build she currently has...
She has a higher tailset that is more seen on Appendix Thoroughbred crosses in my experience.

Looking at your shelter design tells me some things...
I think her back at the wither is about 4' high = 12 hands, maybe a bit more....
That is a decent size for a 2 year old growing in proportion to me...
I think she will make about 15 hands with her butt being as high as it is..
She has a decent length cannon bone which is where measurements can be done at a particular age and is a decent indicator of adult matured size.
She's cute and has a nice deep heart-girth which will allow someone tall to still have good leg coverage...
She's at a gangly, out of proportion awkward yet stage and is already showing a beauty she will mature into.
A really nice shoulder on her, nice sloping pastern {she needs a good trim on those tootsies} and higher set hocks...
When she finishes growing, matures to a adult she will be proportionately gorgeous no matter who or what the other part of her parentage is...but she has time to grow yet...about 18 months if your guesstimate of age is accurate.
Good food, exercise and much love and attention this baby is going to be a knockout gorgeous...

Enjoy the journey you get to travel with her as she goes forth from gangly youth to beautiful matured mare.
🐴... jmo...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's a baby....please don't forget she is a baby yet.
Looking at her build from your pictures I would say she has several inches yet to grow...
She is substantially butt high and will yet level a bit....then go wonky then level-off...
Quarter Horses are often a bit butt high, but not as dramatically un-level as your baby is.
At 2 years of age she has growing yet to do.
I don't know about Welsh cross but think she also exhibits some Thoroughbred with her head and definitely with that butt high build she currently has...
She has a higher tailset that is more seen on Appendix Thoroughbred crosses in my experience.

Looking at your shelter design tells me some things...
I think her back at the wither is about 4' high = 12 hands, maybe a bit more....
That is a decent size for a 2 year old growing in proportion to me...
I think she will make about 15 hands with her butt being as high as it is..
She has a decent length cannon bone which is where measurements can be done at a particular age and is a decent indicator of adult matured size.
She's cute and has a nice deep heart-girth which will allow someone tall to still have good leg coverage...
She's at a gangly, out of proportion awkward yet stage and is already showing a beauty she will mature into.
A really nice shoulder on her, nice sloping pastern {she needs a good trim on those tootsies} and higher set hocks...
When she finishes growing, matures to a adult she will be proportionately gorgeous no matter who or what the other part of her parentage is...but she has time to grow yet...about 18 months if your guesstimate of age is accurate.
Good food, exercise and much love and attention this baby is going to be a knockout gorgeous...

Enjoy the journey you get to travel with her as she goes forth from gangly youth to beautiful matured mare.
🐴... jmo...
Thank you, this is my first horse that i have to take care of and have bought with my own money. She was a 25th birthday present to myself.
I’m learning and whatever I do not know I google or YouTube up a storm lol♥

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
yes she got tangled in the rope and went into a bucking fit when we were trying to load her up to take her to the vet. It’s just rope burn, my grandpa cut the lead rope before it did to much damage.

yes when I say I’m taller than her I mean my head, I’m not sure how many hands she is. But she is ALOT shorter than horses around her
The laceration may heal ok, but that hock doesn't look right. I'd have a vet look at her, but I realize that wasn't your question.

You can measure her pretty easily with a measuring tape. A lot shorter than the horses around her doesn't tell us much. Is she 12hh? 13? 14? And why do you want her to be 15hh specifically?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The laceration may heal ok, but that hock doesn't look right. I'd have a vet look at her, but I realize that wasn't your question.

You can measure her pretty easily with a measuring tape. A lot shorter than the horses around her doesn't tell us much. Is she 12hh? 13? 14? And why do you want her to be 15hh specifically?
The injury actually happened when we were loading her up to go to the vet. I tied her to the trailer too long(was trying to give her room to graze the grass while waiting for the two other horses to be loaded) and she got tangled then went into a bucking fit.

the vet didn’t seem too concerned, she called it rope burn and told me to keep ointment on it.

im a 5’11 woman and feel like I need a taller horse in order not to look too y’all for it, just my personal preference basically

·
Registered
945 Posts
My 4 yo mare ( 4 & 2 months) is 15.1 H and 1150# . When she was 2 1/2 yo she was 14 H and 850#. I know this for a fact as I have kept a ledger on her development and every ride, including what we did and where we went since she was 13 months old. Each horse is different and so is the way they are fed. Most won't quit growing till around 5 yo but, I believe my mare is done. I had a filly quite a ways back that when she was 2 yo I was afraid she would be too small for me but, at 4 she was 15H and 1050# and she was the best horse I ever owned. Good nutrition means an awful lot of the way your horse will turn out.

·
Super Moderator
13,421 Posts
At 5'11" you'll be 11 inches taller at the wither. That puts a 15 hand horse at about collarbone height to you. A 14 to 14.2 hand horse with a stout build could take up a good bit of leg and not be too short.

I'm thinking since she isn't flat against the plywood and it isn't butted up to the ground she is likely taller than 4 feet at the wither. 4 feet is 12 hands. It helps to either measure on a flat surface with a stick meant to measure horse height or stand them against something of a known height and mark where the wither reaches then measure that.

Skeletal growth is just about done at this point. Muscle mass and hoof growth can add a little height. Combine those two and you could see roughly 3 to 4 inches by 5 years. If she is closer to 12 hands (4 foot) then you won't get anywhere close to 15. Where do her withers reach you when you are next to her on flat ground. Get someone to take a picture and put it here. If privacy is a concern black out the face or don't face the camera.

I'm not really seeing butt high. I think camera angle and unlevel ground are playing a part in that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
She will grow more as she's just 2. Some horses mature earlier than others though. She doesn't look like she has a LOT of growing left to do, as she doesn't give the impression of a gangly baby with lots of leg. I was always taught to measure them from the coronet band to mid-knee (holding tape straight, don't follow the contour of the leg) and whatever you get in inches is how many hands they'll wind up being (more or less). I've raised a few babies and it's usually fairly accurate.

Here's a picture/article on how to do it. Predicting Horse Height.

Hopefully that helps!

I agree with the other posters that I'd keep an eye on that hock. I know you said the vet wasn't too concerned, but that's a lot of swelling. Is she sore on it at all when she moves? At the very least, I'd be cold hosing it a few times a day for 15 minutes or so and giving he some bute to help with the inflammation.

You learned a lesson about tying horses long. Never a good idea. You never want them to get a leg over the rope. They're not like dogs...they don't just wait for someone to untangle them. They can do serious harm to themselves, others, and whatever they're tied to.

One other bit of advice...if there is feed in that bucket she's got her face in, I'd encourage you to lower it down a rail or two for her. That's not a natural position for a horse to eat in. They're designed to eat with their heads lowered (like a grazing position). That's how their teeth are designed to chew and it allows them to keep their airways cleared out as needed. Eating with her head up that high is unnatural and could cause digestive and/or respiratory issues. Ideally, a pan on the ground is best, but just lowering your fence feeder to the next rail would be a great improvement.

Congrats on your new horse!

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
When I bought my young horse as a 2 year old, he was 14h even (this is measuring him standing square on concrete and using an actual measuring stick with a level on the bar). He is now 5 years and 2 months old and is 15.2h with a fresh trim.. and he's butt high again, so he's not done growing yet :eek:. I wish he had gotten the memo that he wasn't supposed to be growing any more!

·
Administrator
36,457 Posts
The only Welsh type I could see in her would be a section B, in which case she isn’t likely to go much above 14.2.
She looks more like a TB x though so you’ve got a better chance of a 15.2, depending on what she measures at now.
She looks a nice sort.

·
Super Moderator
27,171 Posts
I'm leaning towards TB x as well. I think TBs are done growing height wise around 3ish? QHs are a little slow growing and will grow height wise from 5-7 and then they will grow width wise until they are 10. My baby is still growing - I know this because I had to buy a bigger sheet again this year.

Where do your horses withers currently line up with you? (neck/chin/shoulder?)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Agree with @pony7 looks like a thoroughbred even when I first saw the pic all I see is thoroughbred. And she is still a baby so I think she would still grow especially if she's a thoroughbred.. Sorry don't know if you've already posted this in your post but how tall is she right now?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts