The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really troubled about a situation and I don't know what to do about it.

There is an "Animal Rescue" facility in my area. The owners are very nice people who mean well - but the animals on their property are not being kept in the best conditions. Many of the smaller animals are kept in cages that are too small. All of the animals on the property are underweight (some worse than others) but the horses are in the worst condition of all!

They have 30 to 35 horses on the property. Most are thin - a few are downright skeletal! Though they have a very large pasture, the grass has been eaten down to the nubs. By the look of it -they are not supplementing with hay and grain. Someone suggested to me that the horses are skinny because they have been "rescued" by this agency. Well, that might be easier to swallow if their hooves weren't all overgrown, cracked and chipped. I would think a "rescued" horse would have his feet attended to and then he would be FED!

Because this place is an offical Animal Rescue - the state sends animals seized from others to this facility.

So - what can be done? If the state is sending seized animals there - to whom would you report this?

Or is there nothing to report? Maybe this is how "animal rescues" typically operate? Underfunded....understaffed....leaving animals underfed ?

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
I've seen a rescue in my area just like the one you described. It's not how the facility SHOULD be run, but sadly....oftentimes they are!

You would think that these "rescues" are monitored by someone....??

I would call my local humane society or animal welfare office and have them go out and take a look. If they deem the conditions of the horses acceptable, then at least your conscience is clear. You did what you could.

I didn't call the authorities on the one I witnessed because I assumed it was how things were supposed to be at animal rescues. I was younger then and more naive. Now I know how a well run facility operates, and if ever I saw one that I had questions about again.....i would call.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Similar situation nearby, Sheriffs dept refused to act, other agencies got pictures but still sheriff did nothing,
Finally someone called the news, the news used there traffic copter to do a fly over, and pictures showed dead horses laying around. Finally after being embarrassed and put on the spot by the media they acted.
Shouldnt expect much out of the same dept that did everything they could to cover up the Micheal Vick fiasco.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shouldnt expect much out of the same dept that did everything they could to cover up the Micheal Vick fiasco.
Yeah...that was kind of my thinking, too...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Contact the police department, sheriff's department or humane society in the area and voice your concern to an animal control officer or cruelty/neglect officer, then call back in a week or so & see what has been done (whether they have made contact, etc.) Try to keep in mind that government wheels turn verrrrrry slowly. If after multiple contacts it doesn't seem like improvement is being made, tell them you will contact the media. Unfortunately, sometimes that is the ONLY motivation to do something that works with some agencies. Hopefully it won't come to that, and just a call to the right agency will set the wheels in motion.
Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Sounds like they're "killing them with kindness". Trying to do a good thing but taking too many animals without the means to care for them. Good luck, I hope you can help them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree, report them ASAP, it sounds like they have taken in too many and have gotten overwhelmed. If they cannot afford proper care they should not be getting anymore. It sounds like a rescue, from a rescue is in order.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
The very first thing you should do is make sure that what you are assuming is happening is ACTUALLY what is happening. Just because you haven't seen them being fed doesn't mean they aren't. Also, the horses may need some training before thier feet can be done.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kevin--

Yes, it is always good to verify...and if it was just one or two horses in bad condition, it would be easier to dismiss and assume there was a logical explanation. Instead, it looks like a system-wide problem.

My clues are this:

Most of the animals are underweight, not just the horses.
Most of the animals are living in cramped quarters.
Most of the animals have filthy water (as though it hasn't been changed for days and days).
The pastures' barbed wire fences are in need of repair (wires are hanging loose).
The pastures have little grass.

Based upon those "clues" - it seems that the Rescue is not keeping up with the animals' needs.

And so far, the message I have gotten about this facility is: if you don't like the conditions, don't complain...DONATE.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You can do that too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can do that too.
Yes...I suppose I can...

But I know that I do not have the resources to feed 30 to 35 horses....which is why I have not taken on the responsibility of caring for 30 to 35 horses.

The fact that the owners of the rescue make this argument (don't complain - donate instead) tells me that they recognize that they do not have the capability to properly care for all of their animals. They admit that there is a problem.

Does admitting the problem then somehow excuse it? Or make it OK ?

In my book - no it doesn't.

But then...what is the alternative for these animals?

If the state is currently sending animals seized from other places to this facility - and then the facility is deemed inadequate....then what?

It seems like a lose-lose situation...

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
A man I know took a load of horses from a place where they were starving and put them on some property that he had and started feeding them. His nieghbor saw the half-starved horses and like you, assumed that he was not feeding them. He was, in fact, feeding them very early in the morning and after dark in the evening. They were not gaining weight very fast as it was winter and they were full of parasites. They were also untouchable so getting rid of the parasites and getting them proper hoof care was difficult and took a long time. The mans nosey, bleeding heart nieghbor reported him repeatedly for neglecting these horses that he was saving. Eventually the cold weather and poor care prior to the change of ownership took it's toll on one of the horses and it died. This, of course, confirmed all the neighbors suspicions and he went to the newspaper and ruined the mans reputation. The sheriffs department knew there was no neglect happening because they had seen the horses shortly after he brought them to the property but in the court of public opinion the owner and the sheriff department were painted as incompetent and abusive. Can you guess where the horses went? Mexico.

In your case they may very well have more horses than they can take care of OR they may be taking very bad neglect cases that take some time to sort out. Try looking a little deeper. Maybe volunteer a day or two and see everything there is to see. Usually when the state or county authorities seize an animal they pay enough to the place boarding it that it can be well taken care of because they may have to give the animal back to the owners if the court rules against them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In your case they may very well have more horses than they can take care of OR they may be taking very bad neglect cases that take some time to sort out. Try looking a little deeper. Maybe volunteer a day or two and see everything there is to see. Usually when the state or county authorities seize an animal they pay enough to the place boarding it that it can be well taken care of because they may have to give the animal back to the owners if the court rules against them.
At the very least - more definitive information would make me feel a bit less "unsettled"...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rescues

Rescues are NOT supposed to be like this. A number of decent rescues do exist. I am from Hamilton Ontario and there is a wonderful rescue in Hagersville. Regular farrier, vet, volunteers, etc.

You can report it to your local humane society or animal welfare agency. Horses can be sent to these "rescues" without the agency actually seeing the alleged rescue.

When the humane society did not respond adequately to concerns about a "rescue" a local paper was contacted and visited the farm and reported on it. It worked.

I am really troubled about a situation and I don't know what to do about it.

There is an "Animal Rescue" facility in my area. The owners are very nice people who mean well - but the animals on their property are not being kept in the best conditions. Many of the smaller animals are kept in cages that are too small. All of the animals on the property are underweight (some worse than others) but the horses are in the worst condition of all!

They have 30 to 35 horses on the property. Most are thin - a few are downright skeletal! Though they have a very large pasture, the grass has been eaten down to the nubs. By the look of it -they are not supplementing with hay and grain. Someone suggested to me that the horses are skinny because they have been "rescued" by this agency. Well, that might be easier to swallow if their hooves weren't all overgrown, cracked and chipped. I would think a "rescued" horse would have his feet attended to and then he would be FED!

Because this place is an offical Animal Rescue - the state sends animals seized from others to this facility.

So - what can be done? If the state is sending seized animals there - to whom would you report this?

Or is there nothing to report? Maybe this is how "animal rescues" typically operate? Underfunded....understaffed....leaving animals underfed ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.