The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Introduction, I stated that I'm a 71 year old Baby Boomer. Former Quarter Horse owner (2), member of AQHA and PRCA member (Team Roping/"header") rodeo cowboy. Fully retired now.

So, just what do I do now? Wife and I still go to numerous PRCA rodeos here in Colorado and into Wyoming. We, sometimes, will go to local livestock sale/auction to observe. Watch dvd rodeo movies. When it goes on, love watching Cutting and Reining competitions.

I still, very much, have the old "rodeo" and former "farmer" mind in me.

Would love to hear from other "former" rodeo Timed-Event folks that are Baby Boomers or even older.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Why not get a nice quiet old horse to putter around on? Maybe 2 so you and your wife can ride trails? Probably not at an auction of course. Your'e not too old. I'm 65 and ride a 6 year old 16.2 Saddlebred. Its a long way down. If it is a concern you could get some nice shorter horses. Easier to get on, not far to fall off.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not get a nice quiet old horse to putter around on? Maybe 2 so you and your wife can ride trails? Probably not at an auction of course. Your'e not too old. I'm 65 and ride a 6 year old 16.2 Saddlebred. Its a long way down. If it is a concern you could get some nice shorter horses. Easier to get on, not far to fall off.
Because, after I met/married my wife, and had already sold my second horse, we decided to buy a powerboat. I know, without a doubt, I could still bridle, saddle and ride a horse..........swing a loop, perhaps, but no more chasing steers down an arena. I've also had a rotator cuff surgery on each shoulder and a hip replacement done. I have plenty of memories, and some photos, of me and both of my horses.

When I did rodeo, it was weekends only in the old Sierra Circuit (now known as the California Circuit). I actually had a full-time job working in electronics.

Both of us love to look at horses, and perhaps someday in the future, will rent a couple. We done that before, so I could prove to my wife that I could ride/handle a horse.

You haven't reached 71 yet, or perhaps, have had the surgeries I have.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
In case I did not link you to the Over 60 thread, here is the link.

A lot of the Over 60 crowd on this forum still rides. I am 73 and had to stop riding because my only truly rideable horse is an unpredictable dipnspinner. He has been with me 24 of his 26 years and always has been a spinner, but I have Grade II Spondolotheliosis (sp?) and I can’t hang with him anymore.

My other horse is 25 and and has a fractured sacrum. Both horses are here until their end times.

I spend a couple hours with them every day. I also muck the stalls and dump the manure five days a week. DH is 72, has a stent, has survived prostate cancer, still chooses to work full time yet manages to give me me a break on weekends.

By all medical account, MRI’s, CT’s, x-rays, yadda-yada, I’m not supposed to be walking but I do quite well with a cane and nobody knows I have issues when I’m on the 4-wheeler.

If you aren’t in a position to own a horse, there are legitimate rescues who would welcome any help you can volunteer. Therapeutic riding programs are also looking for experienced horse folks to volunteer:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I was wondering if there were any Baby Boomer former rodeo Timed Events folks on this forum. I do miss being around horses, but I get my fix just going to local rodeos, auctions and watching roping jackpots. I wouldn't want to do volunteer work, mainly because my wife doesn't know enough about horses to help. And, since we only rent (apartment), a horse would have to be kept at a local stables. Anyway, buying another horse is most definitely a "no".

There are past horse owners that wouldn't have another horse, but might do what we do (rodeos, etc.).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't do rodeo, but may I extend a simple welcome to you and your wife. You can regale us with stories, or perhaps you have some cool videos?
I'm not new with this forum, just the thread here is. I'm just wondering if there are any "Old-Timers" here from the rodeo industry.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In your rodeo days, were you ever in a wild cow milking contest? This looks like fun (not for the cow). I am a Boomer and I'd like to be in one. I could be the one who milks into a Coke bottle since I have dairy experience.
View attachment 1106391
We went to a Ranch Rodeo in Colorado Springs and that was one event they did. Didn't hurt the cows, but sure seen some cowboys go flying through the air trying to hold the cow.

Now, do you happen to be a later Baby Boomer? The Generation went from 1947, or so, up to 1962. I was born in 1949 and guarantee that I sure couldn't be a Cow Milking Contest today. Nope, no way!

·
Banned
904 Posts
Yeah nice. A guy where I ride is 92 and just started competing!

Reactions: Fuddyduddy1952

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah nice. A guy where I ride is 92 and just started competing!
That is truly fantastic, but not all old/older people have, or had, health problems. In our early 70's, anyone could tell how much we love horses and livestock in general, because of the pictures we have and places we go.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I love to tell this story about Doug Williamson - he's 75 and STILL competing in reined cow horse at the top (he made the finals at Snaffle Bit this year) - he had cancer (geeze, maybe in his 50's?) and the doctor came in and told him to get his affairs in order since he only had a few months to live. He looked at the doctor and said, "I'm not dying doc! I have horses to ride!" Another friend, who is also in her 70's, still competes in the non pro classes; she's had some horrific health problems and has been told if she falls off her horse and hits her head, that'll be it for her. So she got a helmet.

Most of the older people I know (my self included, although I just started the climb into the 60's, LOL) have had health problems - some debilitating, but they want to ride so they do. Some, of course, can no longer ride and some choose NOT to ride. You do what you can and you do what you want. It's all good. If going to & watching rodeos is what keeps you close to horses, that's great! Rodeos are fun; I like to go to them and watch NFR every year, but they aren't my competing cup of tea ... for that I do reined cowhorse. 😁 And some ranch horse classes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love to tell this story about Doug Williamson - he's 75 and STILL competing in reined cow horse at the top (he made the finals at Snaffle Bit this year) - he had cancer (geeze, maybe in his 50's?) and the doctor came in and told him to get his affairs in order since he only had a few months to live. He looked at the doctor and said, "I'm not dying doc! I have horses to ride!" Another friend, who is also in her 70's, still competes in the non pro classes; she's had some horrific health problems and has been told if she falls off her horse and hits her head, that'll be it for her. So she got a helmet.

Most of the older people I know (my self included, although I just started the climb into the 60's, LOL) have had health problems - some debilitating, but they want to ride so they do. Some, of course, can no longer ride and some choose NOT to ride. You do what you can and you do what you want. It's all good. If going to & watching rodeos is what keeps you close to horses, that's great! Rodeos are fun; I like to go to them and watch NFR every year, but they aren't my competing cup of tea ... for that I do reined cowhorse. 😁 And some ranch horse classes.
Yes, I know there are those older folks that do still ride..........and actually still Team Rope. Well, that was years ago, back in the early 90's, when I seen this husband and wife in the arena at a Jackpot. She was something like 75 and he was around 80 or so. I was very stunned to see how good they were.

Both of us absolutely love PRCA rodeo. We have met World Champions, including Trevor Brazil, Fred Whitfield, Charmayne James, Joe Beaver, Cody Ohl and the real famous.......Charley Sampson, Larry Mahan and Walt Garrison. We keep our membership up at the CO Springs Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame yearly, so we can go to the Hall of Fame Induction. One of my wife's favorite Tie-Down/Calf Roper, Cody Ohl, was inducted this year as was Barrel Racing Champion, Martha Josey. Unfortunately, due to Covid, the Induction was cancelled.

Been to Vegas a number of times during the WNFR, but watched it in a Lounge area on tv.

Took my wife to a reining competition, explained what was going on, and she loved it.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I miss seeing Trevor Brazil, Fred Whitfield, Joe Beaver, & Cody Ohl competing. But the new young guys are pretty impressive to watch. & I'm glad to see Joe Beaver commentating. I'm not much of a barrel racing fan, but do watch it in the NFR. Those are, of course, the cream of the crop and it shows, so very much entertaining to watch.

Yea, I'm not much of a crowd person, so when I went to Cowboy Christmas one year to get some tack (and a ranch rope!), I, too, was more than happy to watch the live coverage of the NFR from the comfort of a lounge, LOL.

Not much of a reiner either, but reined cowhorse has a reining component so I'm a little versed in it. :) Have to do a reining pattern (not NRHA but NRCHA) before you can work a cow. :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I miss seeing Trevor Brazil, Fred Whitfield, Joe Beaver, & Cody Ohl competing. But the new young guys are pretty impressive to watch. & I'm glad to see Joe Beaver commentating. I'm not much of a barrel racing fan, but do watch it in the NFR. Those are, of course, the cream of the crop and it shows, so very much entertaining to watch.

Yea, I'm not much of a crowd person, so when I went to Cowboy Christmas one year to get some tack (and a ranch rope!), I, too, was more than happy to watch the live coverage of the NFR from the comfort of a lounge, LOL.

Not much of a reiner either, but reined cowhorse has a reining component so I'm a little versed in it. :) Have to a reining pattern (not NRHA but NRCHA) before you can work a cows. :p
Funny, but I knew an older Montana PRCA calf roper & team roper, who had moved to Norco, Calif., who really disliked the new format of music for rodeos. You know, classic rock. I went to his roping school when I was in the Sierra Circuit, which is now the California Circuit.

For our Honeymoon in 2001, we attended two performances of the old Wrangler Winter Finals that was in Vegas at the MGM Gardens. During the description of events on a big screen, music was Aerosmith singing. Little weird for a rodeo, but. Since we are classic rock fans, the music didn't bother us, but for numerous "Old-Timers", they didn't like it, I found out.

When I was doing my weekend rodeos with my "heeler", I had very little interest in rough-stock events. By the time barrel racing and bull riding came up, we had already loaded horses and headed home. But, now, wife and I are interested in all events. But, now, all of the PRCA cowboys/cowgirls we knew, and watched, are retired from rodeo. I remember watching Roy Cooper in the arena and now it's his son that is a champion. Just like Lewis Fields son.

When I first met my wife, thru a personal ad I had placed, she was wearing Roper jeans, a nice Resistol hat and pointed boots. We got rid of the "pointy" ones and got her a pair of Ariat Lace-Up Ropers, like I wore. She loves them. She fit into the "rodeo family" very, very easily.

·
Super Moderator
10,029 Posts
I used to ride bareback broncs. My last competitive ride was at age 42. I kind of got away from rodeo, except for supporting a local kids group.

I got interested in Indian Relay racing the last few years and find ways to support it.

Still do day work. And horse rehab. Started jumping again.

Just not ready to stop climbing on horses.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to ride bareback broncs. My last competitive ride was at age 42. I kind of got away from rodeo, except for supporting a local kids group.

I got interested in Indian Relay racing the last few years and find ways to support it.

Still do day work. And horse rehab. Started jumping again.

Just not ready to stop climbing on horses.
Funny, but bareback was, originally, what I wanted to do. I visited a PRCA saddle bronc rider I knew and he showed me how to form a loop and swing it, with one of his ropes. I was good enough for him to tell me, "Forget rough stock. Buy a descent rope horse and tack, a good "heading" rope and go to the roping school down the road from here."

So, got a quarter horse (red roan), saddle (and wrapped horn with rubber tubing), a Rattler "heading" rope, roping spurs and went to the roping school run by a guy we both knew.

Actually, that same buddy/saddle bronc rider and myself were invited to be on a Los Angeles radio talk show to talk about rodeo. This happened right before the Forum Championship Rodeo was to happen in L.A.

·
Super Moderator
26,875 Posts
My parents are baby boomers.... Does that count?

We do have several members that are in your age range. They will find you eventually. I love having "old-timers" on this forum. Some of the best advice I've received has come from old cowboys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts