The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved abroad 6 months ago where I was not able to find any horse riding and in a few weeks I am heading back to the States, and hopefully I will be able to ride very soon after returning. However, I'm worried about my physical readiness. Before when I had to take a 6 month break from riding lessons due to lack of time for riding, I came back and had to rework all the way from the trot, despite the fact I had been doing cross country running before and was quite fit. Before that, I was almost ready to jump, and it was very frustrating that it took so much time to get back to where I was before, especially since the lessons were pretty expensive.

The last time I rode, I was riding at my cousin's for a few days where we did trail riding consisting of walk, trot, canter, the usual. I also did my first time ever galloping when I rode my cousin's horse in the field, and I did some of my first jumps there (they were maybe 2 feet high). The jumping and galloping went extremely well considering I didn't have any experience before, and I'd like to be ready to do some jumping very soon after I return, or at least be decent at cantering.

Unfortunately for all my lack of motivation I haven't been running for the past 2 months until this morning, which proved to be very sore and I think I maybe only ran about 2 miles. I'm determined to work up to being fit again and if there is any sort of stretches or exercises I can do to get ready for riding again I would greatly appreciate if you shared! :D I realize that riding uses all the crazy muscles we never even think about until we get back on the horse and then can't walk the next day, so I'd like to be able to get off without limping on my first day back at riding. :wink: For reference, I'm 16, 5'5 and usually stay somewhere between 124 and 130 lbs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think anything ab/core related will help you the most-because your seat is the most important part of your riding. I was off from riding for about 8 months while my horse recovered from an injury- I kept up with my ab and leg workouts (squats, leg raises, etc) but when I got back into it my muscles were still sore for a little while. It's just such a unique exertion for your body.

I'd say focus on ab and thigh/leg workouts though. And have fun when you get back into it!

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Spin classes can be good, and work out muscles similar to horseback riding.

Aside from that, anything you do can only be beneficial xD But nothing will help more than getting back in the saddle ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, I never thought about ab workouts! :) I usually do core exercises at least 3 times a week anyway so luckily I haven't had the pain of dealing with sore abs after riding through the years. I wonder if yoga would be a good idea - that way I could be stretching and improving balance all in one.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been super busy this past week. Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts