The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16-year-old mare who is a poor keeper. I'm always trying to get her weight up. I've heard rice bran is a good fat supplement. Does anyone recommend it?

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Love rice bran. Most horses love it. Helps them gain weight and gives their coat a nice shine. Just make sure whatever brand you buy says "stabilized rice bran". Rice bran has a negative calcium/phosphorus ratio. The stabilized part fixes that.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You're thinking of fortified (balanced phosphorus to calcium ratio) stabilized means it won't go bad while stored which high fat feeds will do quickly…so what she wants is both stabilized and fortified rice bran.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Oops. Thanks for the correction. It's been years since I fed rice bran. I turned my TB into a fatty on Omegatin.

·
Registered
338 Posts
rice bran is definitely good many horses love it some dont though, my horse LOVES is with warm water added. you can test things like that out with your horse if you decide to feed it, just make sure you dont over feed it. i cant remember the max that is okay to feed--hopefully someone else does!
you can try other fat supplements as well. i really like cool calories 100, it has 5x the fat of rice bran and you dont have to feed very much of it.
good luck! i feel you pain in the easy keeper department :p

·
Registered
203 Posts
I feed my filly rice bran now too to get some weight on her, ive only had her for three weeks now - so far so good other than she tied up the other night. Ive been told about cool calories before and was tempted to try it out but i was curious as to if it was a energy boosting or does it contain sweet products? Im trying to steer clear of sugary/sweet feeds...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
338 Posts
it doesnt contain sugar or carbs, its pretty much just fat. and its really concentrated so you only need to feed a few ounces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love it! I mix it in with beet pulp and a hand full of my horses grain and some crushed up peppermints and warm water to go along with his meal. Mine is a hard keeper too

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Rice bran is wonderful. It's just what our OTTB gelding, Noah- needed to gain that last few pounds that TBs always seem to get stuck at. I'd definately recommend it for a hard keeper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts