Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GAHHHH!!!! I am freaking out.

Came home from Thanksgiving trip late last night, fed and checked the horses.
Apparently Rick has either gotten something in it (hay) or has a puncture. Looks like it's been a few days... BIL who was watching the farm missed it. He feels terrible.

Cloudy, *****, running but he still has sight. Seems like there's a tiny blob of infection in his eye or where he got poked or??? :cry: The infection may be in his sinus because there's some nasal discharge. He's licking and off his feed so not good.

Vet is on his way, should be here at two. Please keep your fingers crossed and him in your thoughts/prayers! My poor baby has a bunged up eye!
It looks awful, I'll post photos later. :-(

Any tips? This is a country vet so other than an examination, maybe a flushing, all I'm probably going to get is a antibiotic/zinc slave.

Reactions: Boo Walker

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Are there any pictures you can post?

If there's cloudiness, it could possibly be an ulcer. I hope not, though, for your sake.

·
Administrator
36,316 Posts
Depends what you mean by cloudy - but if its what I think of when I hear that it does sound like an ulceration has started. If its from a scratch you might be lucky and it'll heal and be OK. Your vet will check to see if there is anything actually stuck in the eye itself that needs removing
Flo did something similar a long time ago and though she still has the eye she's only got partial sight in it despite everything the vet and the vet hospital did
Hope things go OK

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vet is running late. There is an abcess in the front of his cornea. Not lookin good. At ALL. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
990 Posts
My brothers horse has just a very similar thing except he did it opening gates any way we didn't get the vet out straight away because the next day all the swelling was gone so we thought he just knocked it on something then TWO WEEKS later it swelled up the the size of a golf ball we called out the vet and his eye was blue and his eye was full of bactria with a small abscess so he was put on lots of medication that had to be squirted in his eye 3to4 times daily after a week he started to rear every time we came near his head or turn his bum and buck so the vet put a tube in his eye so we could stand beside his mane and squirt it into the tube after two weeks his eye looked a lot better so the vet cut down his medication and in a week his eye was as yellow a blond hair and the was pus streaming down his face the vet just happened to be on a job not far from us so she came out straight away and we found out that while we killed all Bactria the fungus in his eye had flourished and after the medication was cut down it exploded so he was put on loads of medication and two weeks later the infection was gone and a couple of days ago we took the tube out and he can now open his eye fully and we are slowly stopping his medication.
He will have a scar up the top of his eye forever and his sight should be okay but not as good as it was and that eye will always be bluer then the other eye.

I hope you don't mind me sharing that.

I'm glad you got the vet out straight away unlike me.
We learn something new everyday and I think that taught me just a delicate a horse eye is.

Reactions: FlyGap

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My brothers horse has just a very similar thing except he did it opening gates any way we didn't get the vet out straight away because the next day all the swelling was gone so we thought he just knocked it on something then TWO WEEKS later it swelled up the the size of a golf ball we called out the vet and his eye was blue and his eye was full of bactria with a small abscess so he was put on lots of medication that had to be squirted in his eye 3to4 times daily after a week he started to rear every time we came near his head or turn his bum and buck so the vet put a tube in his eye so we could stand beside his mane and squirt it into the tube after two weeks his eye looked a lot better so the vet cut down his medication and in a week his eye was as yellow a blond hair and the was pus streaming down his face the vet just happened to be on a job not far from us so she came out straight away and we found out that while we killed all Bactria the fungus in his eye had flourished and after the medication was cut down it exploded so he was put on loads of medication and two weeks later the infection was gone and a couple of days ago we took the tube out and he can now open his eye fully and we are slowly stopping his medication.
He will have a scar up the top of his eye forever and his sight should be okay but not as good as it was and that eye will always be bluer then the other eye.

I hope you don't mind me sharing that.

I'm glad you got the vet out straight away unlike me.
We learn something new everyday and I think that taught just a delicate a horse eye is.
While I'm sure this is a great story, I couldn't make it past about 1/3 the way down with no punctuation.. :???: Sorry, pet peeve.....

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Prognosis good, hopefully.
The vet said it IS deep but not terrible. Sedated him because he's in pain and wasn't in the mood to cooperate... Flushed it, medicated it, didn't find an object, gave me a bottle of Neomycin to shoot in it 2X's a day. Should tell a difference in three days if it's going to work. Have to watch it closely to make sure it doesn't get more cloudy which CAN be a side effect of this med...
He treated a horse the same way last month and said it looked almost new three days later.

Ugh, my poor boy... It wasn't HALF this bad last night.
Left the goo on to show the vet and you all, he's slicked up now!
(Before treatment)

(After)

"Lady, I's don't feellllll rightttttt...." Napping now...

Thank you for the well wishes and info! Really appreciate you guys!

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to add... Thanks Heavens he did this now.
Going to be frigid and cloudy for the next several days so I won't have to keep him stalled out of the light or worry about flys. Way to goooooo Rick... :?

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Oh No!
Jingles coming for quick healing and Dig asked if he could send some of his treats to make him feel better.
Well, ok, not some.....just one. (Ain't he sweet? :lol:)

Glad the vet stained the eye and that with mild medication the prognosis is good. Don'tcha just love how they save
this stuff for the Holidays? :wink:

(Ok, the winking smiley wasn't so nice huh?)

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tell Digs Rick said thanks, kinda... :evil:

Yeah, my WORST WORST fears are leaving the farm and something happening. Thank's RICK for making them come true, canceling Christmas now!
If only I had been here I could have gotten to it sooner. :-|

Reactions: Lockwood

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Tell Digs Rick said thanks, kinda... :evil:

If only I had been here I could have gotten to it sooner. :-|
Actually, if you had been there he would have just waited until Christmas Day and it would have been worse.
Because you know.... most animals wait until the vet on call has three other emergencies to deal with before yours to get a major owie.
So good on Rick for not reading the "Good Horsie Handbook."

Dig says "You haz welcome...kinda.." :twisted:

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Poor Rick and poor you to FlyGap! Fingers crossed all will be well with your boy. When I hear eye issues, I just freak! Hope he will be a cooperative patient, it's the least he can do! :wink:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Jingles for Rick!

Our Rowdy had a similar thing happen this summer and he healed beautifully. Plus we got lots of practice touching head and eyes, 3x a day for 2 weeks!

Glad Rick is on treatment now!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
That's a fairly good size ulcer, but it certainly could be much worse.

Keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.