The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was riding duke today and got some pictures from a friend and I feel like I look like a sack of potatoes.

I know since I started riding I have lost weight as I can actually put jeans on and do them up that I couldn't even get past my thighs a few months ago.

What exercises do you all do to get into shape?
Screenshot_20210501-221519_Telegram.jpg
Screenshot_20210501-221404_Telegram.jpg

·
Registered
I have a buckskin lease horse named Buckie! I’m so excited for out journey together!
14 Posts
Honestly, I think your being to hard on yourself! Your posture looks fine! But, I take walks and runs a lot, and even maybe just go outside and play frisbee of catch with a friend!

·
Registered
588 Posts
You do not look like a sack of potatoes, you look great! You must be doing something right if you're fitting into those pants now.

I allowed myself to get quite out of shape over the last year and am concentrating on exercises to make riding easier. I've been doing lots of squats and lateral pull-downs because those work the muscles necessary to mount from the ground. Walking on the treadmill, and the rowing machine help with core strength. I hate situps and crunches so I'm glad to have the rowing machine. When I went trail riding over the weekend with friends I thanked myself for the strengthening I've done. I did have to mount from the ground a few times and I'm not sure I could have done that a couple months ago.

·
Registered
Ladybird, my heart horse (bay mare), and Budgie, my beloved cob (dapple grey mare)
28 Posts
I agree with everyone here. You look great! As for getting fit, you sound like you're doing wonderfully. Outside of riding, I definitely recommend stair walking, wall push-ups, and chair-squats. Using a wall or a chair to help you with harder exercises makes everything much easier, and it's less intense than the actual exercise. Over time, you'll get stronger, and you can switch to the actual exercises. It's kind of like levelling up 😂

As for stair-walking, it really helps engage your legs and your core. I used to struggle to mount my horses from the ground, but those exercises helped me engage some of the same muscles. Also, I cannot stress this enough: dancing and jumping around like a silly person counts as exercise!! It's a fun form of cardio that doesn't involve running. Just put on a song and have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts