The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you're not supposed to try and put your horse 'on the bit' and into a frame using the reins but ride your horse into the bridle to achieve roundness. I've started learning how to put this theory into practice, and boy is it HARD!

Has anybody got any tips on how to do this better? Right now, I'm keeping medium-ish contact with the reins while pushing the horse forward with my legs, enouraging them to move forward but still taking the contact, if that makes any sense - not just giving them their head so they go faster.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Don't forget that you should be using more then just your legs and contact with the horse's mouth to get your desired results. Your seat and core muscles also help immensely. However, timing is everything and all this will take a lot of patience and practice to get it down.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no! I just realised then that the post I had typed up thanking you was never posted :(

I'm sorry, and thanks for your answer!

I've been working on this and been trying to use my seat more and my instructor gave me a very useful analogy: think about 'riding uphill' which works very well. I'm a long way off from being good at it yet but I'll get there.

Sorry and thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.