The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a new mare at the ranch and she is in foal. The owners want me to ride her for them because her and her daughter can't ride at the moment. I feel bad about riding a mare in foal. Is this ok?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
There are countless threads on here that say it's just fine IF the mare is fit and you aren't upping her work load. So was the mare being worked before she came to you? (And yes, how far along is she?)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are countless threads on here that say it's just fine IF the mare is fit and you aren't upping her work load. So was the mare being worked before she came to you? (And yes, how far along is she?)
She was not being worked prior. The owners passed away and she is now at the ranch I ride at. She is about 6 months along. I didn't know if maybe light riding would be ok? I feel bad about it though, just wanted some opinions. She is a leopard Appy bred with a Friesian stallion if that helps any.

·
Banned
9,470 Posts
Work means different things to different people. You could work her in walk at leg aids, or you could be barrel racing her. I'd work her very lightly, emphasis on the very lightly part.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Work means different things to different people. You could work her in walk at leg aids, or you could be barrel racing her. I'd work her very lightly, emphasis on the very lightly part.
Sorry for being a little vague. I only planned on walk trot canter and ground work for respect since she is a new horse to me.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I rode my girl here and there til she was six months along. Then she was too uncomfortable to ride and so I gave her time off to be a upcoming momma.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
9,960 Posts
I used to ride the TB mares at the farm I managed. Just around the paddocks and cattle pasture to check things. I'd even hop on one to go get the mail. Sometimes I'd ride one and pony another to get two of them out and about. I have a boney backside, and when the mares became large enough that my old hunt saddle didn't fit well, I used a bareback pad with extension on the girth.

It's good for them to get out and move, just as it is for pregnant humans. The only downside was they all foaled with incredible ease and the owner never got to witness a foaling in the two seasons that he flew in to "help." Our vet had a place next to us. His wife also rode their pregnant mares and had similar experience.

Our paddocks there weren't large enough to encourage long walks for the mares, so I felt walking and a bit of trotting were beneficial and needed.

But when ranching in WY and MT, until the mares were close to foaling, they were pastured on large spaces. They had to move to graze and then go to water. The layout of the pastures required them to stay in better shape. They, too, always foaled with ease.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.