The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, I'm positive this has come up before. I was always told that horses react badly when their riders are menstruating. Honestly I never put to much stock in it. Has anyone ever seen anything to indicate it's true? With more then stallions? I was told by my trainers it mostly affects mares!

And here's the thing; my cycle is very irregular. Maybe once or twice a year. I never know! Yesterday my gelding was just not himself. Super twitchy and distracted. Standing at full height and attention. Kept wanting to look back at me. He's never that way! Most mellow horse on the planet. This morning? Yup, period. :shock: Tell me I'm crazy?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Honestly never heard of that oddity.
Not going camping in a tent in bear country, yes...but affecting horses? It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Hmm. I have never heard of that, nor have I noticed it having any effects in person.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think its true. I have noticed it with mares and geldings. I don't have a lot of stallion exp so I can't say about them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've heard of it but I'm not sure if it's just an urban legend or if it's true for some horses. My gelding never acted any different.

What I know for sure is:

- women do have a slightly different smell during period, so the possibility of a horse reacting to the "not-normal" is not absurd
- women don't smell like mares nor mares in heat, so it is extremely unlikely (impossible in my opinion) that any horse might react "because he thinks you're in heat". At most, they think you smell weird.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Probably picking up on small symptoms of your period rather than the thing itself. I usually get awful cramps before which make me tense and cranky. Even if I can hide it from people you can never hide tense and cranky from horses! That said, I have never noticed anything specific when it comes to horses, but I can see some being more reactive than others.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I don't buy it. I think if they act any different it's because you're tense or cranky or unconsciously acting differently because of your period, and they pick up on that. As for stallions- like another poster said. You smell nothing like a mare in heat, he's not going to have any idea you're on your period- just that you might smell different and possibly be acting differently or be tense. Horses pick up on body language much more than we might think, the smallest attitude change can be big to them

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
don't buy it either. worked with mares, geldings, stallions, un cut male dogs, etc, NEVER had any reaction, other than a "why do you smell funny??" look from the dogs. Competed on horse back, trained young horses and handled stallions for breeding at all times throughout the month.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I have mares, geldings and stallions and no - they don't notice. If they do even know they certainly don't change because of it.
What I've found though is on my cycle I'm more irritable and edgy - my horse DOES pick up on that and respond accordingly. Maybe you were agitated and caused the horse to become more upset than normal?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I don't think it's true. They're not our species. A dog or cat doesn't react, why would a horse? However if you're moody or uncomfortable or tense, a horse can and often will react to that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I certainly wasn't acting funny. No cramps etc.
I don't think it has anything t do with heat. Like some said - more of a "why do you smell like that?" thing. But the smell is blood, so maybe that in itself is enough to make some anxious? "Why is there blood?" "what happened to you?" "Is something dangerous around?" ?
Very odd, and have to ride for he next few days. I hope he relaxes and this is foolery.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Agreeing with everyone here.
I'll add that "periods" and "in heat, meaning ovulating" is a totally different time of the month.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yeah I've never heard of that happening, nor changing the way mares, geldings or stallions react to me. Some will look at me funny but I think that's because of the difference in smell and they're usually younger and/or haven't been around a lot of women. I would however say that his behavior could have been caused by your posture. I know that when I'm hurting (doesn't necessarily have to be that time of the month) the horses will react differently because my body is giving off different signals. Some will get antsy and act stupid and others will be over cautious.

On the whole time of the month thing though my horses usually act ship shape around me because they seem to realize that I'm in no mood to deal with them and am not above having a fight with them lol.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I've never heard of that myth either, and never noticed a difference in my horse's attitude, whether I was riding a mare or a gelding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't had a problem in that regard with my own horse or any of the other horses I've ridden. It could have something to do with elevated hormones/smell but it could be that you act slightly different during that time and he's just reacting to that more than anything.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
No.. I've never had a horse act different with me when I was on my period, during, or after.

I did however have my horse act differently the day I got into a car accident (few hours before) but I don't really know how to explain that one..

·
Super Moderator
13,051 Posts
You may not even notice the difference it can be so slight. Horses are sensitive enough though to detect the difference. I know for me my husband complains I get sharp. I never would say I do but my voice changes and the tone and inflection also changes putting a couple of our horses more on edge.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Fun (alleged) Fact, male iguanas actually do (not always, but sometimes) react to their female owner's menstrual cycles if they are in season in different ways. Someone I used to know had a friend with an iguana and while it usually had the run of the house, it was put in a tank while it was her time of the month because it got aggressive towards her. Others can get clingy or protective. Some do nothing, but the iguana is the only animal I have heard of that has any kind of reaction to women's periods.

Short article about it:
Male Iguanas In Breeding Season and Human Females

However, horses are not iguanas, and I still don't think they would notice and act differently ;)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
To be honest, I think this is yet another myth probably told by males years ago to undermine women and their work with horses.

Perhaps some of them do recognise subtle changes in behaviour, but I'd just write it off as a coincidence.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not that it's a myth, it's more that every animal reacts differently to every situation and the reaction to this particular even, if any, is usually slight. I work with dogs for a living and there's been plenty of behavior changes with them but most don't act enough different that it's noticeable. I imagine horses are capable of acting up around that time of the month, too. They know when something is going on that's out of the norm, and react how they please about it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.