The Horse Forum banner

201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Is this worth it for me to even go try the horse? What do you all think? Do some people with a horse like this--and professional photography sessions with it and showing at this level, really not mind if someone likes me comes out to ride their horse? Is she desperate for money? Do you think the horse will be safe? He's kind of young, and large and that part makes me wonder too.
I can't see why it would not be worth it. Even if it's a no, you will have a chance to ride the horse, which sounds like a thrill in itself.

You won't know why she is asking for what she's asking unless you ask her.

Personally, I would not let anyone ride my performance horse who (1) did not ride at least on my level, (2) did not ride in my discipline and (3) did not show at all. Not that my mare is the end all and be all of cowhorse or is so highly trained, but she is very sensitive to cues and doesn't like people hanging on her mouth or riding tight - it would make her nervous and make the rider nervous which makes her MORE nervous. And if they accidently cued her to do something fast and furious - yeah, would not be good thing.

Still, that doesn't mean the horse you are talking about above would not be tolerant of a rider with different skills. The horse may be perfectly find with it. Go and try it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Question: I am looking for a horse to ride for just a couple months over Winter, since Missy has no indoor area to ride. I have a woman offering me an 8 year old Belgian Warmblood who she rides in dressage competitions and showjumping. I know--sounds like way more horse than I need--and way fancier than I need. I've seen photos and videos and it's intimidating. LOL I am such a sloppy hack compared to this professional looking rider and her horse. I do have to try the horse out she said she has to see me ride--I tried to really be honest about my abilities and lack of them and told her exactly what I was looking for--just walk/trot/canter in an arena, one day per week on a safe horse, just over the Winter. She said the horse has some minor spooking issues--just shies away from something if he's worried--but not flighty. And she'll charge me only $100/month for this. Is this worth it for me to even go try the horse? What do you all think? Do some people with a horse like this--and professional photography sessions with it and showing at this level, really not mind if someone likes me comes out to ride their horse? Is she desperate for money? Do you think the horse will be safe? He's kind of young, and large and that part makes me wonder too.

Thanks!
Go try it i think it would be good even just to experiment with another horse!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
You have nothing to lose - if you don't like it, that's okay too. It's all in good fun & riding different horses is great experience.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Ok, I was thinking along these lines too. Might just be fun for a different riding experience, even if it's just one time. :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Question: I am looking for a horse to ride for just a couple months over Winter, since Missy has no indoor area to ride. I have a woman offering me an 8 year old Belgian Warmblood who she rides in dressage competitions and showjumping. I know--sounds like way more horse than I need--and way fancier than I need. I've seen photos and videos and it's intimidating. LOL I am such a sloppy hack compared to this professional looking rider and her horse. I do have to try the horse out she said she has to see me ride--I tried to really be honest about my abilities and lack of them and told her exactly what I was looking for--just walk/trot/canter in an arena, one day per week on a safe horse, just over the Winter. She said the horse has some minor spooking issues--just shies away from something if he's worried--but not flighty. And she'll charge me only $100/month for this. Is this worth it for me to even go try the horse? What do you all think? Do some people with a horse like this--and professional photography sessions with it and showing at this level, really not mind if someone likes me comes out to ride their horse? Is she desperate for money? Do you think the horse will be safe? He's kind of young, and large and that part makes me wonder too.

Thanks!
My horse (it's still so weird to say "my" horse now) is a 16.1hh Oldenburg warmblood who used to be a showjumper and has lots of great dressage training under her belt. BUT, she is rideable by anyone at any level and has even carted around toddlers with no issue. Definitely worth a try. Just because this horse CAN do fancy things, doesn't mean he won't be perfectly happy doing what you want him to do.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Agree with the others.

My 50 mile endurance horse is my beginner friendly horse who refuses to trot if someone is unbalanced and gives pony rides to my niece and nephew.

My 5 year old is my calmest/easiest horse to ride (she's the youngest of my 7).

Therefore I think age/athleticism have nothing to do with ability to be ridden by many different kinds of riders.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
This is all good to hear, thank you all! I am going to ride him in a few days.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Ok, getting brave enough to post a video. This is after an hour and a half ride with a fair amount of cantering/galloping. Her companion went back to the barn and she wanted to go there too! I managed to coax her into a little bit of trotting and cantering for the video--I'm trying to see how I'm riding. Hard to see in this video. I look ok to me. LOL

Had another great ride today with gorgeous weather in the 50's and sunny. My journal is becoming quite boring "oh, great ride today, love this horse, having a blast, yada yada. LOL If somneone knows how to get the video to actually show and play in the post, I'm all ears (or eyes). For now, here's the link.

https://youtu.be/yClEVdJ-D-A

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
294 Posts
. . . Had another great ride today with gorgeous weather in the 50's and sunny. My journal is becoming quite boring "oh, great ride today, love this horse, having a blast, yada yada. LOL . . .
Believe me (and I'm sure I speak for all of us) - we're all happy to see that kind of boring! :)(y)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Forgot to mention how much amusement I get from Missy too. We had trouble finding her yesterday--because she was laying down and she's the same color at the dirt. LOL We did find her and she wouldn't get up. I put the halter on and she just looked at me. My husband was worried something was wrong with her, I wasn't. She's just a bum! :) I put the lead rope on and pulled and she finally agreed to get her lazy bones off the ground--in her own time. I don't think I've ever haltered a horse who was laying down, it was pretty funny. Then, she literally fell asleep in the cross ties while I was brushing and saddling her. She is very food motivated and I rummaged in the treat bag, got a carrot, walked over to her and she was asleep and didn't even notice I had a big ole chunk of carrot! I put it under her muzzle and she finally woke up enough to take it. But get her out on the trail/road and she has plenty of get up and go (for me anyway), she seems to love to run.
And I'm getting better every ride. Instead of a seated canter/gallop, this time I found myself more forward and riding on my legs more. My knees took the brunt of the running, but they are a little better today and my back and shoulders aren't so sore. I was also able to keep my stirrups a little better. I think my boots make a different. The ones I've been wearing are not very grippy on the irons. The ones I wore yesterday are better, but ti did still happen.
But I found myself yesterday able to move around and shift myself WHILE at a run. I'm getting more comfortable. And for the video, I found myself taking some tight turns at the canter and a fast trot and it felt great and fun, instead of scary! I was grinning like the Cheshire Cat when I got off!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Had another great ride with Missy on Thursday and the weather has continued to be gorgeous here! It's not been below 52 any day I've been out there--and always sunny. It's like even the weather agrees with me leasing this horse. LOL I'm going out tomorrow and it will be a diferent story. 37 degrees and partly sunny. It IS Wisconsin, we had to get Winter sometime. Last year I had shoveled 2 or 3 times by this Thanksgiving--so I'm extraordinarily grateful this year!

We were cleaning out the car yesterday and found an unopened card in an envelope, stuffed down in a crack. I opened it and it was from B--D's owner, from January. I must have put it in my bag when leaving the barn and it fell out and I forgot about it. I opened it--it was the most gushy, sweet stuff you can imagine. "I'm so happy D has you in her life" "Thanks for all you do" "It's been so great becoming friends with you"....yada yada in more detail. I just shook my head. This clinched it--this woman is nuts. She turned into such a viper, so suddenly when I just asked if I could meet the new third leaser on D. And then continued to say the nastiest things to me when I said I had to end my lease--very nicely and professionally and with thankfulness for the opportunity and well wishes for her and her family, who I also knew. Good to be out of there with that kind of instability.

And lastly, I had to cancel my meeting with the new horse--the fancy Belgian Warmblood. Or postpone it indefinitely, due to Covid. Wisconsin is one of the top 3 states in the US for high Covid numbers--and still rising every day. Since none of the barns we've been to, or horse people we've met has ever worn a mask or cared about social distancing, we didn't think it was a good idea to go spend time in a large, indoor, fully enclosed barn in close quarters with a woman who goes to a full time job 5 days/week, as well as all the other boarders that might be out there on a weekend day. We couldn't even meet during the week until after dark, due to her job, so with my very low vision, that wasn't going to work either. But I want to have Thanksgiving with my paarents--just me and my husband and my mom and stepfather, in their house. Social distanced while eating--more than 6 feet--with a window open and masks on the rest of the time. So I didn't think it was a good idea to go be exposed to people who are risky with the Covid thing. And with my eyes, I need to get close to see what people are doing with tack and stuff. So, I'm bummed. We left it open ended--if Covid numbers start declning over the Winter and if and when I have to stop riding Missy for a while--I'll check back with her. But I doubt we'll go down much over the Winter. But you never know. Stupid virus!! And they just canceled the Midwest Horse Fair for 2021! Two years in a row. My first two years with horses in my life regularly again, and I can't go to the horse fair and feel a "part" of it. Ugh. I know---there are worse things. I'm grateful I haven't gotten Covid and my family is all healthy so far--even my 94 year old Grandma! :)
We are planning on going on vacation next September, to Colorado and I'm hoping and praying the virus is under better control by then so we can go. And trying to decide if I want to book a horse trip. Last time, we did a 5 hour ride into the Wilderness, but my husband will not be able to handle that now(it was 11 years ago)--and I have regular horse riding again, so don't need to indulge. But I would like to do a little trail riding, so we'll see. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Unfortunate ride with Missy yesterday. She was a bit lame--on and off. I could feel it more than see it. During the ride, I came to think it was a tender foot--more than a leg or shoulder issue. She would trot just fine on the grass and even wanted to canter on the way home. I wasn't letting her run, but she insisted so I finally let her canter a bit. SHe was a little slower than usual, but no change in gait at the canter. It was a shorter ride yesterday b/c of this issue--and much "easier". So I wasn't so sore either. LOL It was kind of nice.
When I cleaned and checked her feet after the ride I found the foot I suspected of the problem was pretty tender. She didn't want me cleaning it and she never has any issues like that normally, so it was pretty obvious. Must be an abcess I'm thinking. The owner says their farrier is there often--they have 15 horses, all on different foot trimming schedules--so i'm confident she'll get checked out soon. And with the holiday--and it being the beginning of the week now--I won't be riding until the end of next week probably. I like to ride on Thursdays if the weather cooperates because she is used for some lessons over the weekend and is more tired overall on Monday--less energy.

Saw deer yesterday while riding! Boy, did the horses perk up at that. The other horse I was with did a total spook and almost dumped the girl, but Missy just took a sharp look and stopped a minute. I've never seen her so "perky" and interested in something (except food!). She wasn't scared at all, just interested.She wanted to keep watching. So funny. The deer ran right across the road in front of us. And then the horses kept watching that field they came out of for several minutes. Just so nice to be out having "horsey experiences"!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Thanks, Yes, texted the owner when I left (she wasn't home) and it was her teenage daughter I was riding with, so she knew too.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Well, I had my first official "almost fall" this week. Very scary. We were riding the usual route and while Missy still had a tender foot, it didn't seem to be bothering her that much--only the few times we were on gravel--and none of the horses like gravel, so it wasn't a huge deal. On the soft grass she was fine. So last week I think she had a sore shoulder due to arthritis. I heard that shoulder do some creaking this week. But they said they treated her with something (bute?) and she was better. So I wasn't expecting problems. She was a little clumiser than normal I though, but I found out later why that was. Apparently, it's a very wet area where they live. We have had no rain or precipitation of any kind here, but an hour North, it's apparently been different? Plus they live in a marshy area. It was muddy and I didn't know. It's wet under the dry, brown grasses--but with the vegetation pretty thick and looking undisturned there is no obvious mud. But the ground was soft that day and I know now THAT'S why Missy seemed like she was tripping a lot--the ground was just soft and unstable. And we were cantering--almost at a gallop and, yes, you guessed it, she slipped--sideways down a little slope. She made this sideways snake movement--at the run--and I lost my stirrup and my seat. I was hanging off one side a bit and she immediately slowed to a walk, but wouldn't stop because I was hanging on the reins and she was twirling a bit b/c of that--and the other horse was WAY ahead and she doesn't like to get left behind. WIth a herculean effort and a wrench to my hip and knee, and a bit of hauling on Missy's mouth--thank god she's forgiving and easy going--I got back in the saddle--heart pounding, hip screaming. I re-grouped and we took it slow for the next 10 minutes. I wanted to make sure Missy was ok--I wasn't sure at the time what had happened (didn't realize how muddy it was until we were back). I thought her leg had buckled or something. She seemed to be ok, we trotted and slowed and she was ok, we did it some more and she was fine and then she wanted to GO, so we did a slow canter and she was fine.
It took a LOT of courage for me to canter again after that. If I had been out alone, I probably wouldn't have had the guts to do it. But when you're with a 14 yo who's fearless and wants to GO as bad as the horses (we were on the way home) the peer pressure pushes you a bit. This is usually a good thing for me. It allowed me to get out of my head and just do it. We cantered and galloped more on the way back and it was fine--although I did only do it in the places I knew were really safe and flat ground that I could see. All was fine. When we got back I cleaned Missy's feet and saw all the wet mud in there and realized what had happened--and why she seemed so clutzy. Will be more aware of the ground situation next time. Sheesh.
When I got in the car that day to go home I was on an adrenaline high from the excitement and coming down off the fear of almost falling and the exhilaration of NOT and of being proud of myself for carrying on and getting past it. I was afraid I would be scared to canter again on this horse--but now I feel ok. Just maybe a little more cautious. LOL

It was a weird day all around that day too. At the start, part of the tack was missing and the daughter didn't know where it was and Mom wasn't home at the time. When we finally got ahold of her on the phone she said we could this other saddle on Missy. Ok, it seemed to fit ok, but I felt like she wasn't as much at ease. This is the saddle of a thinner horse and I think it might have been pinching a bit.
So, the daughter rode a different horse--she wanted to try a horse she hadn't taken out on the road for a few years--a horse she rode on the farm and loved. So we did that. This horse went batpoop crazy when the first truck passed us--about a minute down the road. Then another passed. Then every car was a problem. We only got about 20 yeard from the driveway and it was very dicey for a few minutes getting that horse under control. She was twirling and bucking and kept charging me and Missy--I was trying to get out of the way and get down in the ditch, but the other horse was all over the place and there was no predicting where she would go next. Her rider got her stopped still finally--on the neighbor's lawn (ouch) and we went back the farm--I gave them a WIDE berth, as the horse continued in a straight line toward home, but was bucking the whole time. So then, her Mom had come home, she explained what happened and went to get her other normal horse she rode. Well, that horses's saddle was on Missy--so we had to find a saddle to fit her. It all took forever. LOL I just kep riding in the arena most of the time and practicing turns and posting and legwork. It was all good, but boy, I wish they would keep better track of their tack! Nobody had still found the stirrups and stuff missing from my normal saddle when we left.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
So I had a thought. I'm riding tomorrow and Missy has that one tender foot--and maybe a back one was getting tender last week too. And she has to walk on gravel in several areas of our ride--just briefly, but she hates it--so does the other horse. Would it make sense to not clean her feet well before the ride to leave a cushion of packed dirt in there to help with the gravel? Or should I clean the feet and pack them with this green clay/mud stuff for thrush before I ride? Problem is that might not stick so well.

Is this a stupid idea or a good one? LOL

Reactions: Thundering Hooves

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I think what is best is to find out exactly why she is so tender all of a sudden. If it is thrush or something else. Thrush can make a horse tender. Even though it has been dry she could still have thrush. I understand that you just lease her but you can still let the owner know you have concerns over thrush in her feet. I personally don't pick my horses feet everytime I ride. In general what happens is that whatever mud etc she has in her hooves flies out when we ride. With that being said my horses are all on a pretty tight trim schedule of 4-6 weeks and I do look at their feet in between trims so I don't always pick feet at each ride.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Well, I've told the owner a couple times and she says the farrier is out there every two weeks at least for their herd of horses, so by now Missy should have been looked at. I'm wondering if she has slightly more tender feet due to age or whatever and maybe I poked with her the pick too hard AND she has to walk on gravel on the way too and from every ride (the family rides her too and she does a couple lessons over the weekend). I'll see how she is today and mention it again if she still seems tender. I also ride with the teenage daughter and I always mention it to her because we're getting the horses ready together.

201 - 220 of 234 Posts