The Horse Forum banner
421 - 440 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
Thanks for that. I've been feeling pretty down lately--physically and then mentally.

• Sad
Reactions: PoptartShop

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
Well, another disappointing day today. It was warm out and he was blanketed until I got there. It's usually so cold and windy at that place and it was only about 41 degrees when I got there, but the sun had come out within a half hour of me getting there. Got there about 11AM. I took his blanket off and he was a furnace under there! Understandably, he was not very spunky. Let him loose in the arena and he didn't even want to run. I had to urge him to move out and then he did run a little, but I had to keep forcing him to. So I just put him on the lunge line after that and did a couple minutes at w,t,c --he really had to be forced to canter.

So then I rode him and about the same thing. He was so lazy I could barely keep him trotting. This was more like the old Strider I got to know last year. And then I was just about to ask for canter--had already given the physical cue, but not the word and two birds that were playing around the roof corners of the arena (inside) spooked him and he skittered and danced sideways halfway across the arena. It wasn't terrible, but if we had been running, or starting to run, it might have been worse for me. Then those birds spooked him a couple more times--just hard flinches really, but enough that I didn't feel comfortable cantering--especially when I knew I was going to have to put all my effort into getting him going and keeping him going. So I chickened out and didn't canter today.
I'm also having trouble getting him to stay at a trot through obstacles and around barrels/cones etc. As soon as we turn he wants to slow to walk. And I was trying to do the collection thing his owner was talking about but I think I'm failing. It doesn't seems like he's carrying himself well and he's still tripping when I ride him, so am I not controlling his back end enough and keeping him out of his way? Might be time for a lesson with a riding instructor. I did try and the person at this barn was just so busy she could never get me in. Maybe I should try again. I don't know. It's expensive and exhausting so I need to think about it.
It's actually been a lot of work doing the barn twice (or more) per week. My husband is a little sick of the extra day during the week, with our various medical appts that just never seem to end too. I'm looking forward to going back to one day per week--and doing trail rides. Strider is very little trouble to ride on the trail. He loves to run and I don't even have to do much to get him to canter or gallop. He is a little trippy, but once he gets his shoes on he is so much better--even when there aren't rocks. His owner is starting to train one of her other horses for endurance riding. Her goal is to do a 33 mile ride by the end of this year. And next year--double that. So she wants people to go with her for the training. We normally do a max of 5 miles on our trail rides. I told her I could probably work up to 10 miles, but not much more. That will be about 4 hours in the saddle. Like I said--work up to it. LOL

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
OMG, I had a great on Monday! So great I was tuckered out and forgot to write about it. LOL It was a gorgeous day--almost too hot for me--mid 60's, partly sunny, some humidity and only mild breeze. But it was good riding weather!
Strider was in a good mood too! I did not expect to have a good day.
About a half hour before we left, I started getting all anxious--a real anxiety attack, even in my gut. About.....nothing? I've been kind of a sissy lately, not real brave, feeling very scared in the saddle--and untrusting. Thinking Strider is going to trip or spook the whole time I'm int he saddle. And he does--both. He tripped at the canter a couple weeks ago and that shook me up a bit. And hurt my hip--which continues to be a problem, although it's healing--just slowly.
I think the hip has been a big part of my confidence problems. That and just allowing my fears to run away with me. Well, this time, I told my husband about it on the way there. I told him I just needed to talk it out and get some comfort--he didn't have to fix it. Then, I started screwing up my courage. I took lots of deep breaths, said some prayers and a did a little tough love with myself "you can do this--just do it!". So I did!
We worked in the indoor arena first--it was much cooler in there and the outdoor arena was still really soft and squishy for riding. I lunged him in there and it was ok for that, but I didn't like the feel while riding.
I also did a little research on tripping horses and I came up with a theory that with my bad hip, I might be leaning forward too much when I ride (we have no mirrors in the arena) and I may be throwing him off balance a bit. So I focused on leaning back and I really worked him with my feet and legs more--more pressure to drive him forward. And I didn't wimp out at the canter and just went for it when I asked him. We ended up cantering several times around the arena (not all at once). I was getting him to do full circles most of the time. We did ton of trotting too--without stopping and when he did lose the trot I put him right back in it. And he didn't trip, at all, and he didn't spook at all. Then we went outside.
There was one section of the farm that had a dry lane along the pastures and then I took that around the front of the farm and did a big loop around the arena and back to the dry lane. We did some cantering and trotting outside--yay! I rode for an hour and I felt so great--I had that old "horsey" feeling of being out with a horse and just doing whatever--without all that fear and over-thinking. I wasn't careless or reckless, but I was much looser and it felt great. And probably helped him relax too.

Hoping to have more of these kinds of rides. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
Well, weather messed up my riding last week, so I only rode once. I can handle cold, or some rain--as long as Strider isn't soaking wet when I get there. But add in high winds and constant driving rain and temps just above freezing--no freaking way.
So I rode yesterday. Below 30 degrees, but bright sunshine and very little wind. So it actually felt ok out, with the right clothes on. Strider however, was sluggish as heck. Even for lunging he was very lackluster. I think the up and down temp swings are really getting to him--or the terrain going from slippery/greasy, sloppy wet mud where you sink in up to your ankles and back to frozen peaks, lather rinse and repeat. Whatever it was, he was not wanting to do anything. Just getting him to trot was a huge chore and getting him to canter was like asking him to jump off a cliff. I got a couple short strides--but they were choppy and tight and sluggish and he didn't hold it. Even outside. The ground was perfect consistency for riding due to the temps, and he loves to GO outside, but not yesterday. And he also had a hard spook in the arena. There were birds banging around in there again, but I'm not sure it was them. I started out riding in the bit and he hated it. I was just thinking maybe I should switch it out for the bitless and, while at the trot, I was working the reins a tiny bit and I think I pulled a little to the side too much and he all of a sudden did one of those half-bow and then serious swish to the side--like a rodeo horse. A couple years ago that probably would have dumped me in the dirt. If I was in my AP saddle, it WOULD have dumped me in the dirt. But I didn't let it ruin me for the rest of the ride. I switched out the bridle and he was better that way. But still no energy. But more willing to try anyway. I think the bit might have caught him on a sharp wolf tooth and caused a jolt of pain. Or it was birds. LOL
The good news is, I kept right on going and didn't let fear stop me. I was glad of that. So the ride wasn't a complete dud. :)

Stider's birthday is Thursday--he'll be 21! So I'm buying him some beer and doing some birthday photos! And it's supposed to snow all morning on Thursday. When did my entire region move to the mountains? It's still Winter. If we had to wait for a "pass" to thaw to get to town, we'd still be holed up!
So, anyway, if he's not in better spirits on Thursday, at least I'll some fun stuff to do to anyway.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 ·
So I just found out that the boarding barn we are at put up video AND audio recording devices. The girl who works there texted me privately, because as far as I can tell, it's not posted anywhere. I understand a lot of barns have cameras to check on the horses at night, but the audio seems excessive. Every conversation the barn is now recorded. If you are the only one there and in tears and crying on your horse's shoulder--it will be recorded. I wonder if they were there when I changed my shirt the other day--no one was around. So now, my anxiety is running away with me a bit. Sometimes there are "bodily noises" that I don't do in front of ANYONE, not even my husband. And now the male chauvinist, arrogant jerk who owns this place will be recording it? I do not like being under a video camera when I'm just going about my private hobby time.

The other thing that makes no sense is that their property is falling apart. Buildings are about to collapse, their house that they live in looks like it should be condemned. But they are installing all this fancy surveillance equipment?

Anyone else have to deal with this. Did you get used to it?

·
Registered
17,769 Posts
Wow...they should at least have told you about the video recordings. I wouldn't like that either, I don't really have any experience in that situation to help but hopefully they don't check it all day long, so if you do make noises or change your shirt, hopefully they aren't just watching the stream!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 ·
Yea, the audio is odd. They have a mini mare who is pregnant and due soon, and a mini a few weeks ago lost her baby--it died sometime after being born---so I could totally understand a camera there, but apparently it's more of the barn and then the audio. So, no gossiping in the aisles. LOL I think the owners might want to know if anyone is bitching about them? I mean, people do have gripes about the place and sometimes they talk to each other about it in the barn. No more I guess.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
So today wasn't a great ride. But as usual, I did learn things. Strider, as I've mentioned, gets bored easily in the arena. He's lazy and and sometimes takes an act of Congress to get him to move out--unless he's on a tear, then you have to hold him back! LOL
Well, today was pretty typical for him. What I learned was that I can trust my instincts. Last week, he was all sluggish and pokey and I could feel him being kind of shaky underneath me and just not strong. Today, he felt fine physically. He picked up the trot very easily, responsive and all that and he felt strong. But he was being a brat. There's a subtle difference between "I don't want to work" and " I don't feel good, so it's hard to work". But I can feel it. So, yay for that. I know when to push him and when not to. Today, I pushed. Sometimes pushing works, and sometimes he fights it. Today, it worked for the first 20 minutes and then it started backfiring.
I was riding in the bitless and he was getting less and less responsive to it through the ride. And trying to avoid my leg cues as well. "Oh, let's just ride the middle". Big turkey. I only got him to canter one full lap without stopping, once. I kept pushing him to canter, and he would only do halfway, sometimes less. So I made him trot almost constantly, when we weren't cantering. He didn't like that after a while, but he was ok. I even got him to KEEP TROTTING over the poles, twice! It's unbelievably hard for me to do this. I've seen his owner do it though, so I know he can do it just fine. So yay for that!
Then, after about 30 minutes--pushing him really hard the last 5-10, I could tell he was getting annoyed. And sometimes when he gets annoyed about being pushed to work when he just wants to be done--he gets balky and sassy and does stupid stuff--like twisting, a little buck, a spin, or a short bolt across the arena. I didn't feel like dealing with that today. I tried to keep him at a normal pace and then at one point, he just stopped. And refused to move, or be turned, or back up, NOTHING! I've never seen him quite do that before. So I waited and got him to walk forward a few steps at least and then stopped him and got off. I did NOT want to reward him for not moving! LOL

All in all, not a great day. It started poring rain right before we got the farm--after raining for the last week--but today it was supposed to be done for a while. So--sloppy mess and he will not come to the gate. Took me 10 minutes to traverse the mud--sometimes almost knee deep puddles, to get him and then walk him out.

Then, when I got there today, there was a vet and a couple of assistants there, and the two owners and a horse--right in the main area of the aisle--in front of the main door and tack room--blocking the aisle in both directions--so you couldn't get a horse in front or behind and you had to disturb what they were doing to get to the tack room or to get to the feed area. So they said I could bring my horse in the back way--through the lower barn and a narrow hallway connecting them. I had never done this before and didn't know the lower barn well, only been in there once or twice, very briefly. It's where the owners keep their own horses. Why they weren't setup down there for all this I'll never know. It's bigger, much more open space, MUCH more light and it doesn't reek of ammonia--AND it's not in everyone's way. And they acted like I was the jerk for being there to ride. At one point, after riding, I got back and they had a put a second horse in there--and there was literally no way to get to the tack room. I asked--before I took the 50lb saddle off, if there was a way I could get through--and I was being very meek and friendly. The vet yelled at me and said--"no! not right now!". So I'm just supposed to stand there for the next half hour unable to take the saddle off my horse? But then she grumbled something and stood up and said "fine, just go!". I explained that I was legally blind and I had to be a little careful around all the cords and equipment and she got all huffy and said "oh, geez, I guess I'll just move this horse!:. She was acting all mad at me. I didn't do anything, took care of my business as quickly and efficiently as possible so I woulnd't be in theri way longer than necessary. I had to work in a very dark area of the barn, so it was difficult for me too. And I almost fell walking the horse out of that tunnel between the barns--the step was a lot bigger than I thought and ended in a downhill slope. Geez.
And THEN, I had Strider tied outside the barn to feed him--had to send my husband down the aisle to the feed area because they wouldn't lete me through once they knew I had vision problems. And the vet had her truck parked right in front the tie area at the barn. But there was room for Strider, so I tied him there and fed him.
The vet came out as he was finishing up and said loudly and angrily "can you move that horse so I can get into my truck!". If she had asked me how he was, or anything, there was plenty of room for her to get into the back of the truck, if I had just moved his butt over a bit. But no, she decided to be a jerk and make me feel like I was imposing at a place I pay to be at! And there were six other places they could have setup that would have been in nobody's way. Ugh.

We are only there until the end of the month and it's too bad it might be really bad weather for a lot of it. I've never even gotten to ride in the outdoor arena. It's supposed to be dry tomorrow--after more rain tonight and then rain again all day Wednesday and Thursday. My next day out there is Thursday cause we're gone out of town all day on Friday for medical visits. And now the weekends aren't an option at all, because the riding instructor out there has stated doing lessons again (she took the winter off) and she is booked pretty much all day saturdays and sundays--so the arena will be busy. Oh well. I'm trying to just resign myself. Trail riding season will stat in a month or so. I am booked with a class every Saturday in May, but hopefully there will be other days the owner can go on trail rides.
What I don't know, is if this place was the only option for boarding next Winter, if I would do it or not. I'd really like to find someplace else if possible. But now my share leaser might be in love with this place because it's so close to her home and they have all these minis that she loves to spoil and have her grandaughter play with. Oh yet, one more rant. She was there for a quick visit last night. I could tell. You know how? Strider was a total brat looking for treats the minute we got out of the pen. I mean, pushing me, hitting me, shoving me, nipping at my hands. From what she said, she gives me multiple whole carrots and whole apples when she's there, AND candy canes. I cut up one carrot into coins and I usually give him half of that. And when I was doing apples, I was slicing it up and using about a quarter of a small apple on a visit--and some of that got dumped into his food bowl. I think he might lose weight when he goes back home! But if he doesn't go home, he might be foundering one of these days from all the treats!

Ok, rant over. Going to go try to get into a better mood.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
So, hallelujia my ride on Wednesday was leaps and bounds better than my ride on Monday! Wednesday was pretty awesome! Strider was in a good mood! We were having a brief few hours with no rain and even a tiny bit of sun peeking out sometimes. I started the day being a little angry at Strider--because he refused to come to me again--even though I had a bag of carrots! So I start wading out into the deep muck and huge puddles. Very slowly, so I didn't fall or get stuck too bad. I'm aboiut halfway and I hear one of our new friends coming--a guy who boards there and helps out with gate openings and stuff for the tractor. Strider sees him too and stops eating his hay, turns around and goes right to the gate--walking right past me! Big snot! This guy gives him treats--many treats--every single day--and of course never puts a lead rope on him or works him in any way.

So, at least I only had to go halfway. But after that it was all good. Strider is getting very good at free lunging in the arena. I'm so proud of both of us. He's not perfect, but this day he pretty much was. I didn't run him very much once I could tell he was not overly energetic and spirited. I wanted him to have some energy under saddle. LOL So when I got back after tacking up, there was a women working her horse on a lunge line in the arena. She said I could ride. She was all over the place, using ground reins and riding a little too. So I had to avoid her. Since I'm a talker--and most people aren't, I found out this was a green broke horse--or less! He'd only had a saddle on twice and no training at all--so he didn't know what to do. He was calm, but you never know. I was a little dismayed at not having much arena to work with most of the time because as I said they were all over thye place--middle, sides, one direction, then another--both halfves of the arena, so I had to keep riding in different areas and directions. But when I did have a little while in one full half of the arena, we started doing some cantering and it went great. I had the bit this time, and the riding crop. I was very careful about putting the bit on and took my time making sure it was adjusted and sitting properly in his mouth--wiggling it, putting my fingers in his mouth, making sure it wasn't pinching on the corners, etc. And he did much better in it that day! And once he knew I had the crop, I barely had to use it at all. He was so responsive. I was riding better too, we were really in sync and I so LOVE that feeling of when it all comes together and you work together and move as a fluid team.
i think the other horse in there was a blessing. Strider was all excited and happy to see one of his pasture buddies in there. This is a horse that he shares a fenceline with. So he was in a good mood and loved the company.

We did a lot of cantering, and in smaller circles than normal--with tighter turns, which scare me sometimes, but I rode through it and got used to it and it felt great. I was able to keep him trotting through obstacles and turns too, as well as cantering and altering course as needed.
Then we went outside for another 15 minutes or so to "cool down", even though he wasn't even sweating after 40 minutes of trotting and cantering! He loves to be outside and we were able to find one lap around the barn that was dry enough to ride on--about a 5 minute loop. I felt great when I got off and after putting Strider away, he didn't walk away to eat and I didn't walk away either. We seemed to be just enjoying each other's company! I love those days.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
I'm a little behind on my journaling lately! I rode on Monday and had another awesome day! We did a lot of cantering in the arena and trotting and he's been very willing (for him) and I haven't been killing my muscles just to keep him going. And he free lunged very well again.

It was pretty dry finally, so we were able to ride the whole property out to the tree line on the "trails" which are just grassy paths--but if you ride the whole farm--you can be out for almost an hour. We didn't do that. We did the arena for 20 minutes, then went outside for about 40 minutes. And we did some galloping! And here's the stupid thing. We had been doing a lot of cantering already, but at the gallop, after about 10 seconds, he started coughing a lot. I slowed him and then for the rest of the ride, every time we trotted or cantered, he started coughing again. So annoying. And scary. I told his owner and she didn't say much. He didn't cough at all until we galloped. And the really stupid thing is--he was so full of energy, all he wanted to do was run when we were outside. I kept checking to see if it was ok, we'd canter a few strides--and then he'd cough. So I finally gave up and had to deal with the prancing walk the rest of the time. In other words, the cough doesn't seem to bother him that much. It does interrupt his stride a bit, but that's all. I hope it's just allergies and not the start of heaves. He doesn't do it every ride, but it's happening more than I'd like and this time, only at the higher level of exercise. I wonder if I hadn't let him gallop if he never would have started coughing.

Anyway, still a good day because he was very happy and energetic and willing and we had a really god ride before all the coughing started. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
So, I had a pretty good ride yesterday, but Strider wasn't very happy. It was an odd mix of him actually being willing and listening to me, coughing and hating the bit. From the minute I put the bit on he was unhappy and chewing on it and grimacing and yawning. It was crazy. But I know he doesn't ride very well in the bitless and takes advantage and it was VERY windy, so I wanted to be sure we were "in sync" and I had more immediate stopping power and just correction, in case he got nervous.
We rode entirely outside yesterday--despite the 35 degree temp and 25+mph winds. It was dry and clean outside.
First, I did the usual letting him run for a couple minutes in the indoor arena and he had a roll too. (still wearing blankets here due to freezing temps every night and highs only near 40 most days). After rolling and then running a bit, picking up the pace as we went--he started coughing after a couple minutes. He slowed himself and then didn't run much. I did free lunging and he again did pretty great for that. I did ask for canter eventually and he didn't cough.
We got ready and rode in the outdoor arena for the first time! We did the usual walking to start and when I asked for trot--he picked up canter instead so I quickly went with it and said "ok, canter" like it was my idea. LOL He cantered very nicely all the way around--then we turned, walked around once and then cantered again--by the time we got all the way around again-- he was coughing--pretty badly. We went back to walking and he continued to be bothered and cough a bit and do that sort of extended growling wheeze/gurgle several times. Then he seemed better. We trotted, he was fine. We trotted more-he coughed a couple times briefly. We went out on "the trail" out to the back of the farm and the treeline. He didn't seem interested in doing any speed out there, not even trotting. Since I wasn't sure how he was feeling, I didn't make him. He seemed happy to be out though--sort of. It was VERY windy. We didn't go quite to back path along the treeline because I could hear a flock of turkeys back there and didn't want to deal with that on a horse, on a windy day. We turned around and this time I asked for canter and since we were headed "back" Strider was very willing to oblige. We were almost galloping--and he didn't cough at all! We ran as long as I wanted, then slowed and no coughing at all. He also seemed to be acting a bit better in the bit by this time too.

So, I don't know what's going on with this cough and big nonsense. The owner doesn't either. Although she thinks he may be having wolf teeth problems--but then why was he fine in the bit the last two rides? He is going home in just under two weeks and I'm curious to see if the coughing continues or not. And the bit irritation. She is going to have his teeth checked when he comes home. He'll also be very due for the farrier by then. I am just so afraid that this is the start of heaves. How does the vet determine that?

Anyway, I'll ride on Tuesday and then not until next week. This weekend is the Midwest Horse Fair and I'll be gone for three days to that--helping Strider's owner with another of her horses' that will be there. I'm so excited! I don't know if I'll be doing that much. But just to be a part of a horse team and have the "participant" wristband that gets me access to some areas visitors can't go is thrilling for me. I've been going to this Fair since I was 22 years old and have longed so hard to be an actual part of it. Maybe next year, if Strider is ok and it's ok with the owner, I will be on good enough shape to volunteer! Three hours on horseback three days in a row. But probably only at a walk. I'd probably be ok with that this year, but not sure. LOL

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
Ugh, horses. So I rode Strider yesterday and he was miserable. He didn't have a ton of energy like usual. He wasn't "sickly", but just a "down day". He coughed while free lunching---at the trot and canter and he tripped a lot too. Then I groomed him and noticed that he's losing weight--I think. His withers and topline were very pronounced and bony and I could feel his ribs easily. Then, I put the bit in his mouth and he was so miserable and unhappy. yawning, stretching, chewing on it. I should have switched him to the bitless right there, but he gets so naughty in the bitless sometimes and we were riding outside and I needed decent control. But I noticed he was not even wanting to be led by the reins. Again, I should have switched, but I was being stubborn and stupid for some reason. I didn't feel great either and didn't want to be there forever yesterday.
So I rode in the outdoor arena first and he was so lackluster. He would trot and canter when I asked, but soon petered out and groaned a little. He coughed a few times after the first canter. And the whole time he was working and fighting that bit.
We went out to ride around the farm and we just walked. I tried to get him to trot up a hill that he always wants to trot up anyway--if not canter and he started to and then fizzled out right away. So we just walked. He didn't cough anymore. I only rode for about 30 minutes total. Between the freezing wind and the reluctant horse, it wasn't all that much fun anyway. I did have a moment though--where we were out in the "back 40", the sun came out strong for a few minutes (it was otherwise mostly cloudy) and we were walking along and I realized there was a bird of prey soaring just overhead, not that far from us. It circled all around and over us. I thought it might be a hawk, but I just can't see well enough. When I got back to the farm, I head a hawk screeching and then I knew. But being out there and watching this hawk, from horseback, in a budding green plain in the sunshine was just a joyful couple of minutes! {insert John Denver song here!}

Back to reality, Strider needs a thorough vet check for the coughing and weight loss and teeth issues and his feet are overdue for a trimming. He's going home in a week and a half. So none of that will get done until he's home. So I don't even know if he'll be in rideable condition for our last week at the boarding barn. :(

• Sad

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Well, maybe when he's back home and his owner can actually see him, she will be more willing to get the vet out again and then follow up with whatever care he need.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
Well, maybe when he's back home and his owner can actually see him, she will be more willing to get the vet out again and then follow up with whatever care he need.
Thanks, I believe that will be the case. She said she wished she had time to come and visit him to check him to check him over. For all the good that would do. She's only a 35 min drive from the boarding stable. She's just REALLY busy. She's getting another horse ready for the three day clinic they are participating in that Horse Fair and she's getting married in September--a big wedding apparently. And she just bought a new breeding mare and is expecting a new baby this Summer--so one mare in advanced pregnancy at home, and a lot of property issues with water and fixing the place up so the other horses there don't have their feet rot off. LOL I was a busy 29 yo too, but not THAT kind of busy. She owns a horse farm/house, four dogs, 7 cats, two snakes, 6 horses (plus 3 boarders), 8 goats and she's now raising a small flock of chicks and ducklings and putting up a new coop and a new outdoor horse arena supposedly. Plus a 50hr per week job and continuting training for at leas two horses. I don't think she needs sleep. :)

• Wow

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
Another long stretch without posting! I was gone to the Midwest Horse Fair from Friday through Sunday, then went to ride on Tuesday and I'm still trying to recuperate from everything. The Fair was interesting. It was so wonderful to handle and be responsible for a horse for a little while over the weekend--at the Fair. It was an "I've arrived" moment! Next year Strider will probably be going and I am hoping to ride at the Fair at least, if not volunteer and ride all three days.

It's a little strange to hang out with a group of 20 somethings--maybe a couple just turned 30? Anyway, I was there helping Strider's owner with another horse and her mother came to visit--she's the same age as me!! Ok, maybe 1 year older. LOL Good thing these girls are all really nice and fun to hang out with.

So I rode Strider on Tuesday. COOOOOLD!! And I rode in my bitless side-pull and he was SO naughty! He just keeps "seizing" up and pulls to a corner of the arena and refuses to move or turn. What?? He did the same thing outside at one point--he wanted to go a different direction and he wasn't taking no for an answer. But I had all this confidence and energy after watching clinicians and horse professionals all weekend--so he got schooled! He didn't get with that junk. We started out doing a "Liberty" presentation and then free lunging. He was naughty for that too--too much energy that day. Although not the kind that made him race away and buck when I was doing his Liberty. I'll post a video when I remember to. :) I did forget to turn music on though.

His feet are just getting longer, so lots of stumbling. And now we've had to postpone him going home by a week, due to scheduling conflicts. Not sure if there will be much riding above a trot with his feet over the next week and a half. I guess I'll have to see how he does. All in all it was a fun ride--so much better when I'm feeling all confident and not just feeling defeated by his naughtiness. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
And then there's the actual lunging. This day he didn't want to walk and didn't join up the first try. LOL All that running got him excited. The first video is just 19 seconds of trotting, my husband shut off the film by accident.

421 - 440 of 496 Posts