The Horse Forum banner

Riding boots: slip-on or lace-up?

4396 14
Hi!

I want to buy my first leather riding boots, which I'm going to use with leather half-chaps. I have looked at Jodhpur ankle boots at Decathlon, they have a slip-on model, and a lace-up model.
What are the pros and cons of each type of boot? I'm leaning towards the slip-on one, as I've tried on both on a saddle, and when I want to bend my ankle in the lace-up one, the laces are impeding my movement and it's unconfortable. The slip-on has a slightly less secure hold of my feet and ankle, but I can move in it very comfortably.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-paddock-lace-up-boots-id_8395163.html
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/new-connemara-adult-boots-id_8326202.html
Reactions: Caledonian
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
10,660 Posts
My daughter and I hate slip-ons. Sometimes they're a hassle to get on and off. But not a fan of laces either. We both opt for zip-ups with the flexible sides. You have the security of a lace so the boot stays tight against your ankle, but an easy zip up and down.

Sorry, I'm not much help :) But take it from someone who has spent years buying both paddock boots and tall boots. Slip-ons can be a pain in the rear. If they're easy to get on, they may be too loose. You want a boot that will feel snug to your ankle and foot to get those subtle leg cues right. And the problem with laces is that they can be tight in the wrong places, and loose in the wrong ones too. A zipper keeps the tension consistent. Just my opinion... I'm guessing you'll hear many others!

Here are some relatively cheap ones: Auken Nouvelle II Zip Paddock Boots | FTW0012 | Greenhawk

· Registered
2,019 Posts
@Acadianartist
That’s good to know about the boots. I’ve been looking at boots all afternoon. My old ones are pull on but the ones I’m considering have a zip up the front. I’ve never had a zip or laces.

I thought that the zip would do the same as the laces – interfere with the bend and eventually hurt. A zip can’t be as flexible as leather and all of my boots, whether long or short, always end-up with a deep crease due to the bend of my ankle.

The ones I was looking at: Brogini Tivoli Paddock Boots

I also prefer paddock boots for the contact they give me with the horse. They’re easily paired with gaiters if I need more protection.

· Premium Member
10,660 Posts
@Acadianartist
That’s good to know about the boots. I’ve been looking at boots all afternoon. My old ones are pull on but the ones I’m considering have a zip up the front. I’ve never had a zip or laces.

I thought that the zip would do the same as the laces – interfere with the bend and eventually hurt. A zip can’t be as flexible as leather and all of my boots, whether long or short, always end-up with a deep crease due to the bend of my ankle.

The ones I was looking at: Brogini Tivoli Paddock Boots

I also prefer paddock boots for the contact they give me with the horse. They’re easily paired with gaiters if I need more protection.
The ones we have are actually pretty flexible. I can - and have - worn them all day. There is some give around the zipper, so that helps. And with the elastic sides, there's lots of flexibility. With laces, they may tighten in certain areas, but as I said before, the zipper maintains a consistent fit throughout. Think of them as slip-ons with the ability to open and close. The flexible side piece is essential though.

· Registered
57 Posts
I have zip up boots too, and I like them. I used to have slip on ones but they really weren't much better then short gumboots. I'll admit they were not very flash and made of rubber, whereas my current zip ups are leather.

I've been curious about the lace up ones though! I've seen tall boots with laces all the way up them, and often wondered how on earth people get them on and off! Ice Skating boots take me long enough to wrangle :grin:

· Super Moderator
17,090 Posts
I love my lace ups. There are boots with what they call speed lacing that save time. They can be adjusted and I don't have to worry about elastic stretching or binding or zippers breaking.

ETA to add my first pair lasted over 25 years. Resoled twice. Prior to retiring them I bought a pair that was dual purpose (hiking/riding) and a couple of pairs that were more riding but I can work/walk in them comfortably. I've replaced insoles in one pair as my son wore them to work and ride in when he was that size but it looks like I'll have them for a while yet. Can't imagine having elastic or zips last that long with heavy use.

· Registered
12,038 Posts
I prefer lace ups over pull ons. Have never tried boots with zippers.
Avoid those , LOL I had a pair of winter riding boots, with zipper in back. The zipper broke , shortly after I bought them, and to have it re paired, first could hardly find anyone to do it, and secondly, would have cost almost as much as the boot
They were full length riding boots.

· Super Moderator
18,489 Posts
I have had all 3 styles at different times in my life.

Jodphurs boots, the ones with just side elastic....
They were comfortable and very supportive when new.
Once I wore them those elastics stretched and not as supportive nor great fitting.
They were Marlboro brand {I am not sure of that spelling} boots.

My paddock boots with a front zipper and elastic sides...at the time you would only see "professionals" wearing these.
I bought these only because on sale and clearance priced or would never have had them.
I loved them...
They were so comfortable and easy to slip in, zip and go...
However, when new I needed a hoof pick to slide the zipper either direction.
I never had a problem with zipper breaking.
After I had the boots for about 2 years of daily use, those elastics were not as tight and supporting of my ankle as once were. :icon_frown:

My lace-up paddock boots...
By far and will only be the kind of boots I will ever buy again.
I like being able to loosen or tighten as needed to give maximum support for sore ankles.
I twisted my ankle badly not long ago and need the support only a lace-up boot for riding provides now to damaged ligaments and tendons.

All my boots are leather uppers.
I prefer a slightly ribbed or tread sole and they must be a sewn on foot-bed not glued {junk}.
I have had shiny brown finished leather to distressed cordovan colored leather, never had black.

Just some of what I have experienced...but you do get what you pay for.
Quality boots cost $$, even in paddocks.
Do try on several brands because again fit is everything.
If the boot is not instantly comfortable like a old shoe and slipper...keep looking or have sore feet.
jmo... :)
:runninghorse2:....

Reactions: JCnGrace

· Registered
12,038 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,090 Posts
I had meant to add that with lace ups you can adjust the laces so they are secure over the foot, looser through the ankle and then snug up past the ankle. As another post mentioned you can adjust them to suit your needs for that day or activity or in the event of injury..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.